Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Atheism And Evil...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atheism And Evil...

I have often heard atheists decry certain behaviors. That things like sexual harassment, gay bashing, racism, greed, sexism, etc, etc...are immoral or wrong or even evil. Now sure we could have cultural beliefs about these things, but cultural mores do not define these things. We can objectively look at such behaviors, and if naturalism is true then these are merely natural behaviors. Just as much a part of nature as when one troop of Chimpanzees kills the males from another troop, or when a cheetah kills and eats a gazelle. We wouldn't call those behavior evil or wrong - why label such natural human behaviors as immoral or wrong?
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

IMO, it's just contemporary societal sensibilities. They change every few decades.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronson View Post
        IMO, it's just contemporary societal sensibilities. They change every few decades.
        True, but as rational beings we can see that is the case and rise above those sensibilities and realize that our moral objections are really objections about how nature works. Why do atheists object so strongly to nature?
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
          True, but as rational beings we can see that is the case and rise above those sensibilities and realize that our moral objections are really objections about how nature works. Why do atheists object so strongly to nature?
          Why should atheists hold that all human behaviors are equally desirable?

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post

Why should atheists hold that all human behaviors are equally desirable?
            You can believe what you want, I just want to know, logically, why one finds some natural behaviors so objectionable - why are they so often at odds with nature?

Comment

Knee jerk reactions?

Comment

Originally posted by Machinist View Post

Knee jerk reactions?
                Right, that is why I said we should step back and look at this objectively. When we do, what is the rational objection.

Comment

You can believe what you want, I just want to know, logically, why one finds some natural behaviors so objectionable - why are they so often at odds with nature?
                  It's not a matter of logic. There is no (purely) logical reason for me to avoid death. I just seem to have evolved to have a preference for living. I strongly suspect it's because my ancestors had such a preference, and passed it on to me.

Comment

He actually posed a question that you completely ignored [alleging he believed it] and instead got on one your favourite hobbyhorses.
                    "It ain't necessarily so
                    The things that you're liable
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life
                    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Right, that is why I said we should step back and look at this objectively. When we do, what is the rational objection.
                      Deeply engrained and culturally programmed knee jerk reactions. Like Stoic said above, there really isn't any logic to it. We're all just going along with some evolved hard wiring that causes us to react to things that we perceive bring harm . And I think that is a very intellectually honest position for any atheist to have.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic View Post

It's not a matter of logic. There is no (purely) logical reason for me to avoid death. I just seem to have evolved to have a preference for living. I strongly suspect it's because my ancestors had such a preference, and passed it on to me.
                        Yet your survival could be enhanced by the death of others. So you agree that there is no rational to object to what the human animal does.

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

He actually posed a question that you completely ignored [alleging he believed it] and instead got on one your favourite hobbyhorses.
                          This coming from a woman who avoids questions regularly. So why don't you answer my points. Which you avoided in the other thread i.e. why do you find so much of natural human behavior horrifying?

Comment

Originally posted by Machinist View Post

Deeply engrained and culturally programmed knee jerk reactions. Like Stoic said above, there really isn't any logic to it. We're all just going along with some evolved hard wiring that causes us to react to things that we perceive bring harm . And I think that is a very intellectually honest position for any atheist to have.
                            It is an emotional response, which is fine. But I am asking them to step back and look at it. There is no logical moral grounds.

Comment

This coming from a woman who avoids questions regularly. So why don't you answer my points. Which you avoided in the other thread i.e. why do you find so much of natural human behavior horrifying?
                              I've answered your points. That you do not care for my answer is another matter entirely.
                              "It ain't necessarily so
                              The things that you're liable
                              To read in the Bible
                              It ain't necessarily so
                              ."

Sportin' Life
                              Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment