Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Problem Of Evil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Problem Of Evil?

Goes something like this.

1.God is supremely powerful
    2.God is perfectly good.
    3.A good God would want to remove all evil and harm.
    5.A supremely powerful God could remove all evil.
    6.Evil and harm still exist.
    7.Therefore God is either not supremely powerful or not perfectly good.

Any thoughts?
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

He will. Just not yet.

2.God is perfectly good.
    2a. God is merciful and doesn't want any to perish
    6a. We are all evil, If God destroyed all Evil now, we would all be doomed.
    7. God is allowing time for all who would choose him to do so and be saved.
    8. God will eventually decide the time for mercy is over and destroy all evil.
    9.Therefore God is supremely powerful, perfectly good, and perfectly merciful.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      He will. Just not yet.

2.God is perfectly good.

Right, it really is only a matter of timing. God will eventually end all evil and harm.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

Right, it really is only a matter of timing. God will eventually end all evil and harm.
        I think of it kind of like a captain on a sinking ship. He can shut the door to the flooding chamber stop the flooding now, or he can leave it open long enough that as many crew in that chamber can get out before shutting the door. And you have people crying, "well if he were a powerful and good captain he would just shut the door now!" - except that wouldn't be the good thing at all. The good thing is to try to save as many as possible before closing the door.

Comment

It's still difficult for me to process the idea of God being Perfectly Good. That's just a problem in the back of my mind that I don't call up too often. Anytime I hear news of horrible suffering and evil, those questions come up, but I quickly suppress it all. I'm more inclined to go with God is not supremely powerful though. It makes the most sense in light of the evil going on in the world.

But now that i've got the whole deductive argument thing figured out on the other thread, (i'm just going to wait around and get famous) this may be a good time to explore these things.

Comment

Originally posted by Machinist View Post
            It's still difficult for me to process the idea of God being Perfectly Good. That's just a problem in the back of my mind that I don't call up too often. Anytime I hear news of horrible suffering and evil, those questions come up, but I quickly suppress it all. I'm more inclined to go with God is not supremely powerful though. It makes the most sense in light of the evil going on in the world.
            In a real sense God restrains His power to allow for creaturely freedom. It seems that He prefers that men freely love Him as opposed to a world of automatons.

But now that i've got the whole deductive argument thing figured out on the other thread, (i'm just going to wait around and get famous) this may be a good time to explore these things.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              He will. Just not yet.

2.God is perfectly good.

11. God is perfectly just.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

11. God is perfectly just.
                fify

Comment

Goes something like this.

2.God is perfectly good.
                  7.Therefore God is either not supremely powerful or not perfectly good.

Any thoughts?
                  7. Therefore God is either not supremely powerful or not perfectly good. Or, not supremely powerful AND not perfectly good.

Just a thought.
                  When inventing a god, it is imperative to claim that it's; invisible, inaudible and imperceptible in every way. Otherwise - when it appears to no one, is silent and does nothing - intelligent people are liable to become sceptical.
                  - Anonymous

When asked why Omniscient and Omnipotent God, chose to burn alive the children of two Middle Eastern cities, came the reply;
                  “His hands were tied.” - DaveTheApologist

Comment

In a real sense God restrains His power to allow for creaturely freedom. It seems that He prefers that men freely love Him as opposed to a world of automatons.

I don't understand this. What does this have to do with free will, and freely loving God? Are you saying that without evil, then no one's love is really going to be tested tried and true? (That's not rhetorical)

Also, don't you think God had a contingency plan just in case Adam and Eve resisted temptation?

Comment

I don't understand this. What does this have to do with free will, and freely loving God? Are you saying that without evil, then no one's love is really going to be tested tried and true? (That's not rhetorical)

Also, don't you think God had a contingency plan just in case Adam and Eve resisted temptation?
                      If a man is really free to love and obey God then he is free to not love God and disobey and do evil. As far as contingency plan, I don't know.

Comment

If a man is really free to love and obey God then he is free to not love God and disobey and do evil. As far as contingency plan, I don't know.
                        I would think surely God had a contingency plan. The only thing it could have possibly been was to have it where people could indeed love Him even though there was no evil in the world. I don't think that would go against logic either.

Comment

You are not putting God's omniscience into play here. He didn’t need a contingency plan because He knew before the world was created what every man was going to do. He knew Adam and Eve would sin, and His plan of redemption was already in place.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I would think surely God had a contingency plan. The only thing it could have possibly been was to have it where people could indeed love Him even though there was no evil in the world. I don't think that would go against logic either.
                            Here is a great sermon about the problem of evil. This is the transcript, but the option is there to either listen or watch.

https://www.gty.org/library/sermons-...roblem-of-evil

Comment

That sounds like they would have to be determined to love him. Real freedom means having the ability not to love and obey God.

Comment