Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Wealth and salvation in Mark 10.17-22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Even your own source refers to the man you sought to hand wave off as not being any sort of expert refers to him as "Israel’s most illustrious archaeologist"
    As I have never dismissed Yadin's contributions on what textual evidence from my posts are you making that obervation?

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Yes you did. Repeatedly.
    I pointed out that he was making claims re thousands of slaves that were not supported by the archaeological evidence.

Zia's article on the skeletons would appear to support the observation that he did misinterpret evidence.

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    All because he had the temerity to disagree with the pronouncement from on high given by the faux historian hausfrau concerning Masada. You sought to disparge him for no other reason. And when it is shown that he was widely regarded as being the leading authority regarding Israeli archaeological sites you clumsily shifted into pretending I was engaging in hero worship hoping to distract attention away from yet another H_A faceplant.
    Other archaeologists dispute his allegations concerning thousands of Jewish slaves.
    "It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post

That might depend on who is defining scholarly.
      The academic disciplines will include, archaeology, epigraphy, philology [including the study of ancient Semitic languages] palaeography, Assyriology, Egyptology, Hebrew studies, Biblical studies, and more recent research in sociology as applied to New Testament studies.

Originally posted by tabibito View Post
      Perhaps; just another Semitic itinerant goatherd, of interest only to his kin.
      That could be the most likely scenario.

]Just why is it necessary to provide a precise date?
      What a ridiculous question.

If you consider this figure actually was a historical personage you need to make some attempt to fit him within an established chronological framework. I would have thought that would have been obvious.

]The dates that are relevant are the fall of Jericho, and a (not necessarily more than minor) crimp in Egypt's military strength, both of which occurred within roughly the same time frame.
      What specific time frame are you referencing? This needs to be contextualised within what is known of both ancient Egyptian history and the archaeology of the site of Jericho at different historical periods as revealed by excavations.

If the archaeological evidence is taken into account, there is POSSIBLE evidence for the exodus.
      There is no attested archaeological evidence for the exodus as it is described in the OT.

]Biblical scholars do claim the exodus occurred centuries after the claims made in the Bible and in the Samaritan calendar, though there is some minor discrepancy between the MT chronology and the Samaritan.
      Neither the Samaritan calendar nor the MT chronology have historical relevance to events that are supposed to have occurred in the late Bronze Age.

Surely you're not saying that similar accounts are necessarily proof of error.
      I was pointing out a feature known from chronological accounts found ancient Near Eastern literature.
      Last edited by Hypatia_Alexandria; 01-20-2022, 09:56 AM.
      "It ain't necessarily so
      The things that you're liable
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life
      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

What a ridiculous question.

If you consider this figure actually was a historical personage you need to make some attempt to fit him within an established chronological framework. I would have thought that would have been obvious.
        Circumstances that can reasonably be expected to attend an event like the exodus are not attested in the archaeological record for the time generally assigned to the event. Traces of such circumstances can be found for a time a couple of hundred years earlier. I therefore do not find reason to believe the generally assigned time to be likely.

Neither the Samaritan calendar nor the MT chronology have historical relevance to events that are supposed to have occurred in the late Bronze Age.
        Whence this astounding contempt for the process of scholarly evaluation of all available information?
        The Samaritan calendar is believed by the Samaritans to have been established relative to the occupation of the Hebrew lands. The current Samaritan year is, I believe, 3660 - which dates the settlement of the Hebrew lands at 1639 BCE, somewhat earlier than is allowed for by evidence of relevant conditions in Egypt. Solomon's temple (the existence of which is disputed by some, despite evidence of a temple's existence dating to between the 8th and 6th centuries BCE) was completed in ca 957 BCE, with construction having commenced in the 480th year after the exodus, seven years after construction commenced, which would give a date of 1444 BCE for the exodus. The dates generally proposed for the exodus are between 1250 and 1300 BCE.
        1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
        Scripture before Tradition:
        but that won't prevent others from
        taking it upon themselves to deprive you
        of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
          As I have never dismissed Yadin's contributions on what textual evidence from my posts are you making that obervation?

I pointed out that he was making claims re thousands of slaves that were not supported by the archaeological evidence.

Zia's article on the skeletons would appear to support the observation that he did misinterpret evidence.

Other archaeologists dispute his allegations concerning thousands of Jewish slaves.
          What is key is that not once have you ever produced anyone disagreeing with his assessment that slave labor was used to construct the ramp but rather those who disagree over the numbers involved. That is why you focus here again on the numbers hoping to avoid the central point.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

What is key is that not once have you ever produced anyone disagreeing with his assessment that slave labor was used to construct the ramp but rather those who disagree over the numbers involved. That is why you focus here again on the numbers hoping to avoid the central point.
            Evade? H_A EVADE?!?!?!? Are you CRAZY?
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Evade? H_A EVADE?!?!?!? Are you CRAZY?
              I'm not following your point.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I'm not following your point.
                Define "point" - exactly, concisely and cogently.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

define "exactly," "concisely" and "cogently"
                  and define "define" and "and"

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

define "exactly," "concisely" and "cogently"
                    and define "define" and "and"
                    no

Comment

• Originally posted by cow poke View Post

no
                      rong!!!

Comment

The peak of my head.

I'm still wondering what my being outsane has to do with anything.

Comment

The peak of my head.

I'm still wondering what my being outsane has to do with anything.
                          That's MY WORD!!!!

Comment

rong!!!
                            The pirate ain't rong here hisself.

A) the answer was not in the form of a question.

2. any correct answer must contain the phrase "flowery path" and indicate a refusal to travel upon it.

Comment

That's MY WORD!!!!
                              A rogue's sworn duty (as opposed to duty to swear) is to "appropriate" if not "liberate" whatever we can and make it better by making it ours.

Your welcome.

Comment

A rogue's sworn duty (as opposed to duty to swear) is to "appropriate" if not "liberate" whatever we can and make it better by making it ours.

Your welcome.
                                Word stealer!!!

Comment