Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Joshua's long day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Isn't there a one horned rhino? And goat kid horn buds can be put close together to make a one horned goat.
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      That doesn't invalidate the possibility that standing still might have been understood in a way we are not familiar with today.
      The chapter seems to go to lengths to make it clear that it was actually talking about time slowing down while the armies fought.

13 ...The sun stopped in the middle of the sky and delayed going down about a full day.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Prove they don't.
        By that reasoning anything can be claimed without any evidence to support that claim.

How do you know that Jesus did not utilise an alien craft [aka UFO]? No such craft is mentioned in the gospels but you cannot prove that no such craft existed.

"It ain't necessarily so
        The things that you're liable
        To read in the Bible
        It ain't necessarily so
        ."

Sportin' Life
        Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

By that reasoning anything can be claimed without any evidence to support that claim.

How do you know that Jesus did not utilise an alien craft [aka UFO]? No such craft is mentioned in the gospels but you cannot prove that no such craft existed.
          You made the dumb claim.

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
            Isn't there a one horned rhino? And goat kid horn buds can be put close together to make a one horned goat.
            A one-horned rhinoceros is a unicorn who is "big boned"

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

You made the dumb claim.
              I didn't make any such claim I merely postulated examples of ludicrous contentions that some people might believe.

After all if no evidence is required anything is possible, including unquestioningly believing an ancient Semitic legend that the sun apparently stood still.
              "It ain't necessarily so
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I didn't make any such claim I merely postulated examples of ludicrous contentions that some people might believe.

After all if no evidence is required anything is possible, including unquestioningly believing an ancient Semitic legend that the sun apparently stood still.
                Do you have proof that it didn't happen? Were you there?

Comment

Guess we can't know anything about ancient history from written records. The Bible is a historically reliable document. And honest about religious bias as to if a king was considered successful or not.
                  If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Do you have proof that it didn't happen? Were you there?
                    Use your common sense and High School physics.
                    "It ain't necessarily so
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I tend to think the solution might have something to do with what was meant by standing still. For instance the word solstice comes from the Latin word solstitium, meaning "sun standing still." No, I'm not saying that is what took place but rather noting that the term might have meaning not common now.

And of course there is always the good old trusty Got Questions for a good over view: Is it true that the sun stood still?
                      Verse 13 itself scotches the possibility entirely. Two different words used (one for stood still, the other for stopped), where in verse 12 only the one word is used (and not even repeated) - it is highly unusual for two different terms to have the same colloquial application. The verse also states that the sun did not go down for roughly a whole day. It is rather unfortunate that we don't have the book of Jasher, which might have given more complete information.

1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                      Scripture before Tradition:
                      but that won't prevent others from
                      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

The point you're missing is that everyone agrees it would normally be impossible unless something like divine intervention were to take place.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

So that is a "no?"

Answer me this: Assuming there were an all powerful being who created the universe, would he be limited by "high school physics?"

Comment

So that is a "no?"

Answer me this: Assuming there were an all powerful being who created the universe, would he be limited by "high school physics?"

The point you're missing is that everyone agrees it would normally be impossible unless something like divine intervention were to take place.
                            You may as well argue that it's impossible unless Glinda the good witch of the East waved her wand.
                            "It ain't necessarily so
                            To read in the Bible
                            It ain't necessarily so
                            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

You may as well argue that it's impossible unless Glinda the good witch of the East waved her wand.
                              Just answer my hypothetical.

If God existed, would he be limited by known physical laws that he created?

Heck, creating a localized zone where time speeds by faster is not even against physics. We just don't know how to do that yet.

Comment

Just answer my hypothetical.

If God existed, would he be limited by known physical laws that he created?

Heck, creating a localized zone where time speeds by faster is not even against physics. We just don't know how to do that yet.
                                Do not give me orders.
                                "It ain't necessarily so
                                To read in the Bible
                                It ain't necessarily so
                                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment