Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Joshua's long day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

I watch a lot of Star Trek.

But God can do anything he wants. He created the universe. If he wanted to create a time bubble and speed up time inside it for Joshua, he could.
    Joshua had this STOP watch...

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I tend to think the solution might have something to do with what was meant by standing still. For instance the word solstice comes from the Latin word solstitium, meaning "sun standing still." No, I'm not saying that is what took place but rather noting that the term might have meaning not common now.

And of course there is always the good old trusty Got Questions for a good over view: Is it true that the sun stood still?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        I tend to think the solution might have something to do with what was meant by standing still. For instance the word solstice comes from the Latin word solstitium, meaning "sun standing still." No, I'm not saying that is what took place but rather noting that the term might have meaning not common now.

And of course there is always the good old trusty Got Questions for a good over view: Is it true that the sun stood still?
        One of the marks of a biblical miracle is that we're left wondering how it happened. The feeding of the 5,000 - did the bread "grow", did Jesus just keep breaking pieces off the loaf, and the loaf didn't get smaller...

As for the fish - I got that one! It was tuna, and tuna goes a LONG long way.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

Don't forget the moon stood still too.

12 ...“Sun, stand still at Gibeon,

and moon, in the Valley of Aijalon.”

13 And the sun stood still, and the moon stopped,

until the nation took vengeance on their enemies.

Comment

There was a bad storm too, so how could the human observers know exactly what happened?
            If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
              There was a bad storm too, so how could the human observers know exactly what happened?
              What storm?

Comment

Hailstones equal bad storm right?

Comment

I missed that.

Comment

You can get hailstones on a mostly clear sky. I've seen it happen.

Comment

Hailstones big enough to kill?

Comment

Hailstones big enough to kill?
                        One of them was pretty close to the size of my fist(at the time), so yeah.

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

And there we have it: a very high probability that it did indeed happen
                          By that logic why should people not also believe that there is a giant teapot orbiting the earth and pixies, unicorns, and elves really do exist?
                          "It ain't necessarily so
                          The things that you're liable
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life
                          Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

By that logic why should people not also believe that there is a giant teapot orbiting the earth and pixies, unicorns, and elves really do exist?
                            Have you declared there are not?

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Prove they don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Don't forget the moon stood still too.

12 ...“Sun, stand still at Gibeon,

and moon, in the Valley of Aijalon.”

13 And the sun stood still, and the moon stopped,

until the nation took vengeance on their enemies.
                                That doesn't invalidate the possibility that standing still might have been understood in a way we are not familiar with today.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment