Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Joshua's long day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joshua's long day

What are the problems, scientifically and historically speaking, with the events in Joshua 10?

Originally posted by Seeker View Post
    What are the problems, scientifically and historically speaking, with the events in Joshua 10?
    Ignoring that the language has the Sun moving around the earth, having the earth stop its rotation in order to keep the sun from setting is at the very least problematic.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Ignoring that the language has the Sun moving around the earth, having the earth stop its rotation in order to keep the sun from setting is at the very least problematic.
      One would expect that other peoples would have noticed such an event in any case - no matter where they were in the world - but no record of such an event appears in writings from other lands (China, for example) that I am aware of.
      1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
      ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
      Scripture before Tradition:
      but that won't prevent others from
      taking it upon themselves to deprive you
      of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Localized time dilation.

Comment

Yeah, it's not necessary to the miracle for the entire planet to be stopped. Too mqny secondary miracles and why mess with every other creature's circadian rhythm. And it couldn't be a instant stop.
          If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Seeker View Post
            Concerning 10.12-14 and the sun standing still, it is a legend. The event never actually took place.
            "It ain't necessarily so
            The things that you're liable
            To read in the Bible
            It ain't necessarily so
            ."

Sportin' Life
            Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Interesting. What are some of the popular apologetic arguments for this? Surely there are apologists out there who have explained why this is not a problem for biblical inerrancy. I like the localized time dilation. I mean that really sounds like it came from an apologist.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                Localized time dilation.
                The possibility cannot be dismissed.
                1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Meanwhile, some humor....

Judge called for the next case.
                  Bailiff reads docket - "Joshua William Davis, illegal production and distribution of alcohol".

The Judge thought he'd have a little fun, so he asked the defendant "are you the Joshua who made the sun stand still?"

Defendant answers, "no, your honor, I'm the Joshua who made the moonshine still".

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                    Yeah, it's not necessary to the miracle for the entire planet to be stopped. Too mqny secondary miracles and why mess with every other creature's circadian rhythm. And it couldn't be a instant stop.
                    No need for an instant stop, nor a stop of any kind.
                    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by Machinist View Post
                      Interesting. What are some of the popular apologetic arguments for this? Surely there are apologists out there who have explained why this is not a problem for biblical inerrancy. I like the localized time dilation. I mean that really sounds like it came from an apologist.
                      I watch a lot of Star Trek.

But God can do anything he wants. He created the universe. If he wanted to create a time bubble and speed up time inside it for Joshua, he could.

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Concerning 10.12-14 and the sun standing still, it is a legend. The event never actually took place.
                        And there we have it: a very high probability that it did indeed happen
                        ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

I watch a lot of Star Trek.

But God can do anything he wants. He created the universe. If he wanted to create a time bubble and speed up time inside it for Joshua, he could.
                          Sure. A small warp in the space time fabric. It would be interesting to look this up. I'll bet Chuck Missler has some interesting perspectives.

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

And there we have it: a very high probability that it did indeed happen

Concerning 10.12-14 and the sun standing still, it is a legend. The event never actually took place.-HA

And there we have it: a very high probability that it did indeed happen-Tab

Please explain this dialogue.

Comment

Originally posted by Machinist View Post

Concerning 10.12-14 and the sun standing still, it is a legend. The event never actually took place.-HA

And there we have it: a very high probability that it did indeed happen-Tab

Please explain this dialogue.
                              It is a reference to the level of accuracy that can be expected of H_A's exposition of matters Biblical.
                              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment