Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Representations and depictions of the deity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    You really have some serious problems don't you? The type that medication just isn't helping.
    You made an emphatic claim and then desperately back-pedalled. Very amusing to watch.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
    As you self-evidently have access to this work why did you not just type out some of those names in reply to my question?

Ah and now we are back-pedalling from our initial categorical assertion that:

"Everything from the pyramids to the ruins of Great Zimbabwe have been credited to everyone but the indigenous people by European explorers and archeologists for generations ." [My emphasis]

The ruins of Great Zimbabwe were attributed to Romans, Phoenicians, Arabs etc. Virtually anyone and everyone that someone could dream up -- except the indigenous people. That was still going on when I was in school.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied

Well it is lovely to see you coming along and supporting your pal [Tweb moderators remind me of the Jets in West Side Story "You got brothers around, you're a family man, You're never alone, you're never disconnected"].

However, the issue concerns what rogue06 initially claimed and his failure to substantiate that initial unequivocal comment.

His first statement included this, "Everything from the pyramids to the ruins of Great Zimbabwe have been credited to everyone but the indigenous people by European explorers and archeologists for generations -- and some on the fringe still do."

That remark specified archaeologists "for generations". I simply wanted to know who those archaeologists might be.

However, in his reply to my question rogue06 shifted his position from that initial definitive statement where "Everything" [my emphasis] including the pyramids had "been credited to everyone but the indigenous people by European explorers and archeologists for generations" to something less emphatic.

He suggested that I avail myself of Wilson's book where I could "find a list in From Atlantis to the Sphinx by Colin Wilson of archaeologists and Egyptianologists who he says provide support to his notions." [My emphasis].

Suddenly rogue06 moved from his original definite statement whereby "Everything" [my emphasis again] has been dismissed as the work of indigenous peoples "by European explorers and archeologists for generations " to referencing Wilson's work wherein Wilson "says" i.e. claims that "archaeologists and Egyptianologists" are listed who "provide support to his notions." [My emphasis]

Do you see the difference between those two remarks by rogue06?

Now rogue06 has shifted his position once again and at the same time managed to redefine the world list [i.e. a series of names or other items written or printed together].

He now writes that Wilson does not provide those names "in a neat list but he brings them up at different points.". [Aside: I think perhaps the word[s] rogue06 might have been seeking are that Wilson "cites" or "references" certain individuals.]

However, that remark by rogue06 indicates that he has access to this work by Wilson which leaves the question, why could he not simply have typed out some of those names in his reply to my request?

You really have some serious problems don't you? The type that medication just isn't helping.

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied
    Not in a neat list but he brings them up at different points.
    As you self-evidently have access to this work why did you not just type out some of those names in reply to my question?

And it should be noted that Wilson, like so many other pseudoscientists, could very well be misrepresenting some of them. Particularly the more recent ones (the older ones IIRC are cited particularly because they advanced proposals that the local population didn't build them)
    Ah and now we are back-pedalling from our initial categorical assertion that:

"Everything from the pyramids to the ruins of Great Zimbabwe have been credited to everyone but the indigenous people by European explorers and archeologists for generations ." [My emphasis]

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied
    Originally posted by Sparko View Post

FWIU He is saying that the nutter Wilson listed other nutters who are archeologists and egyptianologists who agree with his work. That would be the list you are looking for. Or are you just doing your demanding stuff over and over trolling thing again?
    Well it is lovely to see you coming along and supporting your pal [Tweb moderators remind me of the Jets in West Side Story "You got brothers around, you're a family man, You're never alone, you're never disconnected"].

However, the issue concerns what rogue06 initially claimed and his failure to substantiate that initial unequivocal comment.

His first statement included this, "Everything from the pyramids to the ruins of Great Zimbabwe have been credited to everyone but the indigenous people by European explorers and archeologists for generations -- and some on the fringe still do."

That remark specified archaeologists "for generations". I simply wanted to know who those archaeologists might be.

However, in his reply to my question rogue06 shifted his position from that initial definitive statement where "Everything" [my emphasis] including the pyramids had "been credited to everyone but the indigenous people by European explorers and archeologists for generations" to something less emphatic.

He suggested that I avail myself of Wilson's book where I could "find a list in From Atlantis to the Sphinx by Colin Wilson of archaeologists and Egyptianologists who he says provide support to his notions." [My emphasis].

Suddenly rogue06 moved from his original definite statement whereby "Everything" [my emphasis again] has been dismissed as the work of indigenous peoples "by European explorers and archeologists for generations " to referencing Wilson's work wherein Wilson "says" i.e. claims that "archaeologists and Egyptianologists" are listed who "provide support to his notions." [My emphasis]

Do you see the difference between those two remarks by rogue06?

Now rogue06 has shifted his position once again and at the same time managed to redefine the world list [i.e. a series of names or other items written or printed together].

He now writes that Wilson does not provide those names "in a neat list but he brings them up at different points.". [Aside: I think perhaps the word[s] rogue06 might have been seeking are that Wilson "cites" or "references" certain individuals.]

However, that remark by rogue06 indicates that he has access to this work by Wilson which leaves the question, why could he not simply have typed out some of those names in his reply to my request?

Leave a comment:

• tabibito
    replied
    And it should be noted that Wilson, like so many other pseudoscientists, could very well be misrepresenting some of them. Particularly the more recent ones (the older ones IIRC are cited particularly because they advanced proposals that the local population didn't build them)
    Strangely, I can't recall any claim that the Egyptians did not build the pyramids prior to Von-Daniken's time (plus or minus a bit).

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied

Your original comment:

I requested the names of those "European explorers and archaeologists" who have made that claim concerning the pyramids."

You replied with the following:

"If I'm not mistaken you can find a list in From Atlantis to the Sphinx by Colin Wilson of archaeologists and Egyptianologists who he says provide support to his notions."

Wilson is neither an archaeologist nor an Egyptologist. And the work you cite by him is on the lunatic fringe.

Therefore you have no evidence to support your initial allegation that European explorers and archaeologists" have made such claims "for generations".
    Again. I never claimed that Wilson was either.

Again. What I said about him was about what was in his book -- a list of folks he cites who are an archaeologists or Egyptologists (and experts in other disciplines).

If I'm not mistaken you can find a list in From Atlantis to the Sphinx by Colin Wilson of archaeologists and Egyptianologists who he says provide support to his notions.

Not in a neat list but he brings them up at different points.

Last edited by rogue06; 12-03-2021, 03:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Sparko
    replied

Your original comment:

I requested the names of those "European explorers and archaeologists" who have made that claim concerning the pyramids."

"If I'm not mistaken you can find a list in From Atlantis to the Sphinx by Colin Wilson of archaeologists and Egyptianologists who he says provide support to his notions."

Wilson is neither an archaeologist nor an Egyptologist. And the work you cite by him is on the lunatic fringe.

Therefore you have no evidence to support your initial allegation that European explorers and archaeologists" have made such claims "for generations".
    FWIU He is saying that the nutter Wilson listed other nutters who are archeologists and egyptianologists who agree with his work. That would be the list you are looking for. Or are you just doing your demanding stuff over and over trolling thing again?

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied
    Where did I say he was?

Your original comment:

A bit outdated but not inaccurate. Everything from the pyramids to the ruins of Great Zimbabwe have been credited to everyone but the indigenous people by European explorers and archeologists for generations -- and some on the fringe still do.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied

Wilson was neither an archaeologist nor an Egyptologist.
    Where did I say he was?

What I said, and you appear to have difficulties comprehending, is

If I'm not mistaken you can find a list in From Atlantis to the Sphinx by Colin Wilson of archaeologists and Egyptianologists who he says provide support to his notions.

Please do try to keep up.

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied
    Wilson was neither an archaeologist nor an Egyptologist.

He had also self-evidently fallen off his proverbial perch when he wrote that book.

You made a claim concerning "European explorers and archaeologists" . Therefore kindly provide a list of accredited Egyptologists and/or archaeologist from the last 120 years or so who have made such claims about the pyramids.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied

Colourised and emboldened for emphasis.

Kindly name those "European explorers and archaeologists" who have made that claim concerning the pyramids.

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied
    A bit outdated but not inaccurate. Everything from the pyramids to the ruins of Great Zimbabwe have been credited to everyone but the indigenous people by European explorers and archeologists for generations -- and some on the fringe still do.
    Colourised and emboldened for emphasis.

Kindly name those "European explorers and archaeologists" who have made that claim concerning the pyramids.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Hmmm a rather Afrocentrist article "The most important lesson is not the skin complexion, but rather the fact that they were Africans who achieved great things. This fact that Africans achieved such greatness is a punch in the gut of Eurocentrists who are always trying hard to convince people that “Nothing great can come out of Africa”.

Instead of accepting the simple fact that the ancient Egyptian civilization was an indigenous African civilization invented by Africans, these Eurocentrists are in disbelief, and would rather foolishly ascribe the civilization to “alien” origin or “extraterrestrials
    ”.

And it isn't like Americans didn't do the same thing when we first encountered large earthen structures as they moved westward into the continent.

One might opine that the various peoples of the African continent might take offence at being lumped together as "Africans".
    In the same way that various peoples of the European continent might take offense at being lumped together as "Europeans"?

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied
    IOW, in your view, Mary might have been the daughter of a wandering Tibetan Buddhist monk is a completely viable possibility, little to no different from any other.
    Such contentions are the product of your fertile imagination.

Leave a comment: