Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Representations and depictions of the deity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

It is erroneous and is an excuse for slovenly writing and thinking.
    There are many colloquial usages in English (and I would hazard, almost any language) which do not conform with rigidly formal definitions. Demanding that an entire culture conform to your concepts of what is proper won't achieve anything more than continued misunderstandings and pointless conflicts.
    1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
    ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
    Scripture before Tradition:
    but that won't prevent others from
    taking it upon themselves to deprive you
    of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      The ruins of Great Zimbabwe were attributed to Romans, Phoenicians, Arabs etc. Virtually anyone and everyone that someone could dream up -- except the indigenous people. That was still going on when I was in school.
      That is one site dating from the 11th century CE . Not "Everything" as you initially contended.

As I wrote this is desperate back pedalling on your part from an initial ridiculously over-extended and generalised statement that you cannot defend.
      "It ain't necessarily so
      The things that you're liable
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life
      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

There are many colloquial usages in English (and I would hazard, almost any language) which do not conform with rigidly formal definitions. Demanding that an entire culture conform to your concepts of what is proper won't achieve anything more than continued misunderstandings and pointless conflicts.
        Qualifying one's comments seems to be a grammatical feature that is unknown to some contributors.

"It ain't necessarily so
        To read in the Bible
        It ain't necessarily so
        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

However, that remark by rogue06 indicates that he has access to this work by Wilson which leaves the question, why could he not simply have typed out some of those names in his reply to my request?

Maybe he is just treating you like you treat him and others when they ask YOU for supporting evidence. Hmm?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Maybe he is just treating you like you treat him and others when they ask YOU for supporting evidence. Hmm?
            That comment, apart from being entirely irrelevant, would suggest that either you are reluctant to acknowledge the differences between your pal's two separate remarks, or you did not recognise the difference between them.
            "It ain't necessarily so
            To read in the Bible
            It ain't necessarily so
            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

That comment, apart from being entirely irrelevant, would suggest that either you are reluctant to acknowledge the differences between your pal's two separate remarks, or you did not recognise the difference between them.
              Or it indicates that we are all sick and tired of your double standards and trolling.

Comment

I asked for the names of archaeologists and Egyptologists in support of what you initially alleged ""Everything from the pyramids to the ruins of Great Zimbabwe have been credited to everyone but the indigenous people by European explorers and archeologists for generations ." [My emphasis]

You gave me a work by Wilson who was neither. I simply pointed out that what you had provided was not what I requested.
                I'll type this really slow in hopes you can follow along.

Never said that Wilson was either.

What I said is that Wilson listed several in his book.

What is so hard about that to understand?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

It is erroneous and is an excuse for slovenly writing and thinking.
                  As DC keeps pointing out you regularly engage in the same sort of slovenly writing and thinking.

Matthew 7:3-5 O Hypocrite.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

However, in his reply to my question rogue06 shifted his position from that initial definitive statement where "Everything" [my emphasis] including the pyramids had "been credited to everyone but the indigenous people by European explorers and archeologists for generations" to something less emphatic.
                    Correction: "had"

Libraries are wonderful things.

I hate to admit it but it has been awhile since I stopped by my branch. I did so last week only to find a note on the door saying it closed in September 2019 and I have to now go to the relatively nearby one instead

Comment

It is enough to say, Eurocentrism is a long-standing viewpoint that is on the way out (especially in the US). When I was a tyke, US history was taught as nearly 100% from the viewpoint of Europeans and European descent. That era is gone..

Comment

I'll type this really slow in hopes you can follow along.

Never said that Wilson was either.

What I said is that Wilson listed several in his book.

What is so hard about that to understand?
                        No what you wrote was that "A bit outdated but not inaccurate. Everything from the pyramids to the ruins of Great Zimbabwe have been credited to everyone but the indigenous people by European explorers and archeologists for generations -- and some on the fringe still do"

I asked for the names of those "European explorers and archaeologists" who have made that claim concerning the pyramids.

You ignored that request and instead recommended I look at Wilson's lunatic fringe work, while modifying your first emphatic pronouncement whereby "Everything" had been dismissed the work of indigenous peoples "by European explorers and archeologists for generations" to "archaeologists and Egyptianologists who he says provide support to his notions." [My emphasis] And you finally reduced the entire thing to one medieval site.

Hence from your initial sweeping generalisation that "Everything from the pyramids to the ruins of Great Zimbabwe have been credited to everyone but the indigenous people by European explorers and archeologists for generations " we ended up with just Great Zimbabwe.

And as I have also pointed out if you know Wilson cites "several in his book" why are you unable to type out a few names?
                        "It ain't necessarily so
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

As DC keeps pointing out you regularly engage in the same sort of slovenly writing and thinking.

Matthew 7:3-5 O Hypocrite.
                          I think you meant to type CD.
                          "It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

They are interesting prohibitions.

The prohibition against graven images applies to "anything in heaven above, or on the earth beneath, or in the waters below," and yet the same book -- Exodus -- records the specifications for the Ark of the Covenant, including graven images of cherubim for the cover.
                            How do you reconcile this?

Comment

Originally posted by Machinist View Post

How do you reconcile this?
                              I believe tabby already noted the prohibition in Ex 20:4 is clarified in the next verse, 20:5 -- The prohibition is against making such images *for the purpose of worshiping them*. This is why even things like "icons" are not forbidden in and of themselves. (FTR, I do have issues with those faiths that "venerate" the icons. I understand the premise that they are showing "respect" for those things which the icons "represent," but to me that's perilously fine hair-splitting.)
                              Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post

I believe tabby already noted the prohibition in Ex 20:4 is clarified in the next verse, 20:5 -- The prohibition is against making such images *for the purpose of worshiping them*. This is why even things like "icons" are not forbidden in and of themselves. (FTR, I do have issues with those faiths that "venerate" the icons. I understand the premise that they are showing "respect" for those things which the icons "represent," but to me that's perilously fine hair-splitting.)
                                Perilously. It's like why risk it huh?

I also read somewhere that back in the formative years of Christianity that Christians didn't go around displaying the cross, as in pendants and such.

Comment