Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Representations and depictions of the deity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
    I have often cited from works that are not available online.
    So have I and everyone else here. But only you chide folks for using online resources as well like the hypocrite you are.

I have a copy and I have read it. And that you have once again brought up this topic suggests you are still itching for a fight,.
    No you haven't or else you would have noticed I put stuff in my posts from other sources as well while suggesting they were from Frank's piece and you thought they were from the article.

Leave a comment:

• tabibito
    replied

You wrote Persecution by the Jews.

How did the subsequent list of incidents relate to the Jews persecuting anyone?

As for Williams, what precise comment by her leads you to remark that she "admits that much of her assessment is based on reading between the lines"?
    [/QUOTE]

Ah yes - I omitted the time reference.
    Prior to 64 CE - Persecution of the Christians by the Jews.

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    And wait a week or two to get it long after the conversation moved on. Not really an option hypocrite.
    Were you aware that you can actually buy books?

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied
    That being the hypocrite you are you complain about other doing the exact same thing as you do all the time.
    I have often cited from works that are not available online.

An article you pretended to have access to for some strange reason.
    I have a copy and I have read it. And that you have once again brought up this topic suggests you are still itching for a fight,.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    So what does that tell you?
    That being the hypocrite you are you complain about other doing the exact same thing as you do all the time.

My opinion of your comments at the time is that you wanted a fight over Patrick Frank's article.
    An article you pretended to have access to for some strange reason. I don't know if I'll ever understand why you didn't say you didn't just have access to a 20-year old article instead of pretending you did. I mean, what was the point?

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    You can always avail yourself of an inter-library loan copy of a text.
    And wait a week or two to get it long after the conversation moved on. Not really an option hypocrite.

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied
    Yup. That way others can see that you are accurately presenting the information and not selectively editing (if not wholly making up something) from a book that few people would have readily available.
    You can always avail yourself of an inter-library loan copy of a text.

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied
    I guess you forgot the time I looked up a bunch of your sources and found all but two were available online, hypocrite.
    So what does that tell you?

And your recent pretending to have a magazine article that it was glaringly obvious you never saw.
    My opinion of your comments at the time is that you wanted a fight over Patrick Frank's article.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Not to mention that it usually is an advantage, as the source can be checked without any difficulty - and of course, the procedure is perfectly acceptable for university study provided it isn't overdone. On a site like this, there is no valid reason to criticise the practice.

So - some sort of virtue signalling in H_A's objections?
    Yup. That way others can see that you are accurately presenting the information and not selectively editing (if not wholly making up something) from a book that few people would have readily available.

It appears to be just one of the many things she finds to gripe about when she can't find anything else.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    So much of what she posts seems like copy/pasta, and, yeah, I found a number of examples to prove it.
    One of the clues is when she has wall of text formatting codes in her reply. I even made a screen capture of it once

And I'm very open about using online sources -- even to the point if I have the book and it is also online I'll use the online version which I can copy directly from rather than having to write something out by hand.

As I explained previously:

I've played Dungeons and Dragons on and off since the 80s. What does that have to do with anything? Well, nowadays it is primarily online when I play. Not video games, but with other players I know. Generally I end up "DMing" (running the game) largely because everyone likes the adventures I usually run. Some times I have to slap something together quick and having every issue of "Dungeon" magazine (a magazine that printed short adventures for the game) printed and several dozen old adventure modules to "borrow" pieces from still allows for an enjoyable time.

So what does that have to do with anything? When I'm borrowing bits and pieces from multiple adventures I don't dig out the various modules and magazine issues I had in mind to use. I go online to various sites (The Trove is a current favorite) and download a pdf version from which I can copy and snip from bits from.

Why? Because it is so much easier than tediously writing out things by hand.

The exact same thing goes here whether I'm posting in Apologetics discussing theological matters or in Nat Sci discussing science. Unfortunately, most of my science texts that I rely on are too current to be found on the interwebz so when I quote from them I have to do so by hand.

Unfortunately, it appears my favorite online source for D&D material has been shut down.

Leave a comment:

• tabibito
    replied
    I guess you forgot the time I looked up a bunch of your sources and found all but two were available online, hypocrite.

And your recent pretending to have a magazine article that it was glaringly obvious you never saw.
    Not to mention that it usually is an advantage, as the source can be checked without any difficulty - and of course, the procedure is perfectly acceptable for university study provided it isn't overdone. On a site like this, there is no valid reason to criticise the practice.

So - some sort of virtue signalling in H_A's objections?
    Last edited by tabibito; 12-14-2021, 09:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Cow Poke
    replied

So much of what she posts seems like copy/pasta, and, yeah, I found a number of examples to prove it.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied

I have never criticised anyone for sourcing online information.

However, when my interlocutor relies primarily on Wiki articles along with what he can glean from sections provided by Google Books or general online sites I recommend he actually undertakes some serious reading regarding the topic upon he affects to have some in-depth knowledge.

Leave a comment:

• Hypatia_Alexandria
    replied
    Rules for thee, excuses for me.

Hypocrite.
    I have never criticised anyone for sourcing online information.

However, when my interlocutor relies primarily on Wiki articles along with what he can glean from sections provided by Google Books or general online sites I recommend he actually undertakes some serious reading regarding the topic upon he affects to have some in-depth knowledge.

Leave a comment:

• rogue06
    replied
    Well there are always reference libraries but ordering papers can take time. Hence if they are already available online they are easier to access.
    Rules for thee, excuses for me.

Hypocrite.

Leave a comment: