Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Satanic Musician Makes Appearance at Kanye West’s Sunday Service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

I merely observed that some Christians may not wish to declare their religious beliefs to all and sundry.
    Which is contrary to the teachings of the New Testament.

Do you consider that to be some sort of defect on their part?
    An odd way of wording it, but, in essence, yes.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The notion "cultists" is, like beauty, in the eye of the beholder. Some observers might consider this group to look like "cultists".

I don't know their history.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Markus River View Post
        And what about these guys? If you didn't know their backgrounds, would you label them as religious devotees or cultists?
        That's not the same - part of the problem with the Kanye thing is that we DO know his background.

Comment

No? I know you don't think so, but what about the man on the Clapham omnibus?. How would he view them both together? After all, sometimes the only thing differentiating a cult from a religion is their respective tax exemption status. For example, The church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Religion or cult? (I know what the IRS thinks).

And what about these guys? If you didn't know their backgrounds, would you label them as religious devotees or cultists?

Cult_1.jpg

Cult_2.jpg
          I wonder if you will get a reply!
          "It ain't necessarily so
          The things that you're liable
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life
          Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I don't know their history.
            Would you consider they look like members of a cult?
            "It ain't necessarily so
            To read in the Bible
            It ain't necessarily so
            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Would you consider they look like members of a cult?
              The OP is about Kanye West -- I understand your need to derail it, but this is about his bipolar history and his interest in 'religion' in a rather bizarre way.

Comment

I wonder if you will get a reply!
                Well, gosh golly gee, the suspense is electric!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  And quite explicit too.

Tell me are you the sort of person who would ignore someone who told you "no" because it was only one word? Or is just that one word clear enough?

This is as sad as your attempt to handwave off a military historian you disagreed with because the book he wrote was only a single volume.

Robert C. DiPrizio is an assistant professor of international security and military studies at the Air Command and Staff College, Air University, at Maxwell Air Force Base in Montgomery, Alabama. He is not a military "historian". And the book you mention was not written by him. It was edited by him.

"It ain't necessarily so
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

No? I know you don't think so, but what about the man on the Clapham omnibus?. How would he view them both together? After all, sometimes the only thing differentiating a cult from a religion is their respective tax exemption status. For example, The church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Religion or cult? (I know what the IRS thinks).

Hypocriticus_AsUsual is worried to death I won't answer you.

The part "if you didn't know their backgrounds" is beside the point. It's BECAUSE I know somewhat of Kanye's background that I'm suspicious of his 'new religion'.

Comment