Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Satanic Musician Makes Appearance at Kanye West’s Sunday Service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Irrespective of your ignorant opinion, these are clear instructions. Whether or not someone chooses to follow them is a different matter.
    Is it that you deem any opinion that does not conform with your own to be "ignorant"? I can think of no rational reason for considering what I wrote to be such.

As to the "clear instructions" those are two verses from later texts and nothing more.

However, I do realise that some Christians [particularly those of a more fundamentalist and/or evangelical bent] cannot help but tell everyone how they came to find the Lord, and often do so in public spaces.
    "It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

Believers get their worldview from scripture. I thought you might have figured that out by now. We answer questions about our faith according to what God's word says.

I didn’t assume your question was rhetorical. I doubt rogue assumed that, either. His answer was perfectly acceptable according to what you asked.

But, go ahead and move the goalposts if you like. We've all got your number.

Oh, and it’s early morning here, thanks for rhetorically asking.
      I am glad you well.

However, please note that I did write that my question was "leaning towards" rhetorical. I think some here need to realise that not all Christians necessarily wish to announce their faith to all and sundry.

However, see my reply to rogue06 regarding those who like to proclaim their "testimony" in public spaces.

"It ain't necessarily so
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Is it that you deem any opinion that does not conform with your own to be "ignorant"? I can think of no rational reason for considering what I wrote to be such.

As to the "clear instructions" those are two verses from later texts and nothing more.

However, I do realise that some Christians [particularly those of a more fundamentalist and/or evangelical bent] cannot help but tell everyone how they came to find the Lord, and often do so in public spaces.
        The text makes clear that if we are asked we should not hesitate to answer. That is the reason when someone says it's none of your business it tends to raise a warning flag if they had also said they were Christian.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The text makes clear that if we are asked we should not hesitate to answer. That is the reason when someone says it's none of your business it tends to raise a warning flag if they had also said they were Christian.
          Two verses.
          "It ain't necessarily so
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

So since nobody's mentioned the elephant in the room...

Marilyn Manson is facing some credible charges of sexual assault. Could this be an act to try to rehabilitate his image? Let's say he did want to convert; that's great, but it's not a get out of jail free card for his past actions, either. I think this happened somewhat when James Dobson said Donald Trump had converted to Christianity; it made people give him the benefit of the doubt on any behavior.
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

No I am not. In your OP you provided an image of a group of white robed figures at Kanye West's Sunday service and in another post suggested that "the all-white robes make it look like some kind of cult." To which Markus River responded by showing a photograph of Christian clergy in their sacerdotal vestments.
              The "clergy" individuals actually look like recognizable clergy individuals.

I simply observed that in my understanding not all fundamentalist/evangelical churches require their pastors/preachers to wear such vestments, and hence some who post here would not consider such garments necessary.
              No kidding!

There is no difference between the white robed figures at Kanye West's event and those in the photograph that Markus River provided.
              Well, actually there is, as the "clergy" in a particular church would wear the vestments.

In both instances individuals feel the need to don particular garments for their religious events.
              And they look a lot more like cultists than they do recognized clergy.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Irrespective of cherry picked texts, I suspect some people may value a little privacy.
                The whole Christian life experience is about being "called out from among them", and not "hiding your light under a bushel basket".

"Whoever is ashamed of me and my words, the Son of Man will be ashamed of them when he comes in his glory and in the glory of the Father and of the holy angels."
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

And how are you this afternoon [my time]?

I was not asking for scriptural references and my question was leaning towards the rhetorical.
                  I think it's, yet again, quite apparent that you really don't know what the Bible says.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I think it's, yet again, quite apparent that you really don't know what the Bible says.
                    The "Bible says" a great many things, of which not a few are contradictory.
                    "It ain't necessarily so
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

The whole Christian life experience is about being "called out from among them", and not "hiding your light under a bushel basket".

"Whoever is ashamed of me and my words, the Son of Man will be ashamed of them when he comes in his glory and in the glory of the Father and of the holy angels."
                      I merely observed that some Christians may not wish to declare their religious beliefs to all and sundry.

Do you consider that to be some sort of defect on their part?
                      "It ain't necessarily so
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

The "clergy" individuals actually look like recognizable clergy individuals.

No kidding!

Well, actually there is, as the "clergy" in a particular church would wear the vestments.

And they look a lot more like cultists than they do recognized clergy.
                        The notion "cultists" is, like beauty, in the eye of the beholder. Some observers might consider this group to look like "cultists".

"It ain't necessarily so
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Two verses.
                          And quite explicit too.

Tell me are you the sort of person who would ignore someone who told you "no" because it was only one word? Or is just that one word clear enough?

This is as sad as your attempt to handwave off a military historian you disagreed with because the book he wrote was only a single volume.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                            So since nobody's mentioned the elephant in the room...

Marilyn Manson is facing some credible charges of sexual assault. Could this be an act to try to rehabilitate his image? Let's say he did want to convert; that's great, but it's not a get out of jail free card for his past actions, either. I think this happened somewhat when James Dobson said Donald Trump had converted to Christianity; it made people give him the benefit of the doubt on any behavior.
                            His appearance with Kayne has caused some to wonder whether he continued with that move and if due to abuse allegations and waning popularity he is seeking a new purpose in life -- or just trying to "reinvent" himself.

Comment

not even close
                              No? I know you don't think so, but what about the man on the Clapham omnibus?. How would he view them both together? After all, sometimes the only thing differentiating a cult from a religion is their respective tax exemption status. For example, The church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Religion or cult? (I know what the IRS thinks).

And what about these guys? If you didn't know their backgrounds, would you label them as religious devotees or cultists?

Cult_1.jpg

Cult_2.jpg
                              When inventing a god, it is imperative to claim that it's; invisible, inaudible and imperceptible in every way. Otherwise - when it appears to no one, is silent and does nothing - intelligent people are liable to become sceptical.
                              - Anonymous

When asked why Omniscient and Omnipotent God, chose to burn alive the children of two Middle Eastern cities, came the reply;
                              “His hands were tied.” - DaveTheApologist

Comment

The "Bible says" a great many things, of which not a few are contradictory.
                                True.

Comment