Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

What would it take for the atheist to believe in God?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

The right direction is "into the light" and that light is Jesus.
    In God's opinion.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I don't believe a person needs to "confess the correct doctrines" to be saved.
      Maybe so, but there won't be any Christian evolutionists getting past St. Peters Gate.

Comment

Originally posted by Machinist View Post

Maybe so, but there won't be any Christian evolutionists getting past St. Peters Gate.
        I disagree. That's not a condition for Salvation.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Markus River View Post

Since there don't seem to be any reliable statistics, I suspect that atheism > christianty and christianity > atheism "conversions" (if you want to call it that) are much like defections during the Cold War. A lot of traffic heading towards sunset. Very few in comparrison heading towards sunrise.
          Given what I have read and those who have given me their testimonials I also suspect [at least among the "born again" variety of Christian] that a lot of conversions come from those suffering from the 5 Ds [Drugs, Dames, Dudes, Depression, Drink].

It appears that certain varieties of Christian faith [particularly the more fundamentalist approach regarding biblical inerrancy and literalism] does seem to offer psychological support for those with prior issues of addiction or mental health problems. Perhaps it is the conviction in absolute certainty.

I often wonder how many on this site had issues with any or or all of the 5 Ds prior to finding the Lord.

Edit to add: Your avatar takes me back. I actually dug out my copy and played it again.

"It ain't necessarily so
          The things that you're liable
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life
          Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
            Given what I have read and those who have given me their testimonials I also suspect [at least among the "born again" variety of Christian] that a lot of conversions come from those suffering from the 5 Ds [Drugs, Dames, Dudes, Depression, Drink].

It appears that certain varieties of Christian faith [particularly the more fundamentalist approach regarding biblical inerrancy and literalism] does seem to offer psychological support for those with prior issues of addiction or mental health problems. Perhaps it is the conviction in absolute certainty.

I often wonder how many on this site had issues with any or or all of the 5 Ds prior to finding the Lord.

Edit to add: Your avatar takes me back. I actually dug out my copy and played it again.
            No such issues.

Comment

In God's opinion.
              My God says otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Juvenal View Post

My God says otherwise.
                That's just your opinion.

Comment

No such issues.
                  I am very glad to read that. However, it seems apparent that there are those that do find the Lord after some sort of addiction and/or other psychological issue [including jail time].

"It ain't necessarily so
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I am very glad to read that. However, it seems apparent that there are those that do find the Lord after some sort of addiction and/or other psychological issue [including jail time].
                    Yes, and many have major changes in their lives to the good.

Comment

Yes, and many have major changes in their lives to the good.
                      Why is it that so often the Five Ds lead to religious conversion?

What does the religious experience represent or [more likely] replace?
                      "It ain't necessarily so
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

In God's opinion.
                        Can an omniscient and omnipotent Creator Being hold an "opinion"?

Opinion: a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.

[my emphasis]
                        "It ain't necessarily so
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

That is your opinion premised on your religion and your religious beliefs. Followers of other religions would offer their opinions premised on their religious beliefs.

However, that still leaves unanswered the question "which direction is the right direction?"
                          Speaking of "that is your opinion"

H_A-dude.gif

You got the answer but didn't like it.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Well of course it is an opinion. That is glaringly obvious.
                            H_A-dude.gif

I wonder if everyone she asks a question of gets a sneering "That's just your opinion" in response.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Some people seem to forget that fact.
                              H_A-dude.gif

Most folks understand it when they ae expressing an opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                That would all be the second step or challenge after getting them to realize that God exists -- pointing them in the right direction.
                                I grew up in a fairly mainstream protestant Christian tradition that allowed it was just possible that some Catholics were saved. Catholics. Ya know, the folks who sorted through the reams of Baby Jesus Gospel fairy tales and assorted frauds before deciding which handful of letters asserting themselves as "from Paul" were close enough to maybe written by him to be useful for instruction.

And which y'all then decided were definitely written by your God.

So good luck on that.

But if you want to pull back the curtain and acknowledge you're looking to convince folks the Biblical Jesus worshipped most typically by evangelicals is the one, true heavenly king, I've long since noted the most clear, unambiguous argument has been staring at you out of your scriptures all along. That's what would work for me.

But until then, I'll keep noting that there's nothing your Jesus is reportedly able to do that the idea of your Jesus hasn't been doing just as well for the last couple millennia.

Comment