Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

What would it take for the atheist to believe in God?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    You only acknowledged your mistake so you could blame tab for you making it.
    It never ceases to amuse me that you often claim to know either what other people are thinking, or their motives.

I understood such skills were believed to the provenance of your deity.
    "It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• This thread got huge before I ever looked at it, so I've only lightly skimmed it, and interacted a bit with tangential matters.

Pertinent to the OP, I'm reading Keener's latest book, Miracles Today. One reason he wrote it was that many people, like me, never managed to slog through his prior two-volume academic work, Miracles. The smaller, more recent one's miracle accounts are mostly selections from the much more numerous ones in the earlier work, plus a few he came across more recently. In the opening chapters, he notes that some people, not just atheists but some believers, simply will not accept the possibility of "miracles"; either the evidence is false, or the non-supernatural explanation just hasn't been discovered yet. Similarly, while miracles often lead to acceptance of Christ, sometimes they have the opposite effect, and cause an even angrier rejection.

The miracle stories he cites include healings of blindness, deafness, inability to walk, cancer, and various other ailments, and even a few instances of regeneration of tissue and eight chapters on resurrections. (He also notes that even in Scripture itself, there are no accounts of missing limbs being restored.)
      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
        It never ceases to amuse me that you often claim to know either what other people are thinking, or their motives.

I understood such skills were believed to the provenance of your deity.
        I just look at people's actions. When they repeat the same behaviors eventually you can draw conclusions from them.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
          In the opening chapters, he notes that some people, not just atheists but some believers, simply will not accept the possibility of "miracles"; either the evidence is false, or the non-supernatural explanation just hasn't been discovered yet.
          Scepticism is warranted. I note that in the book (just skimming after seeing your post) even some of the beneficiaries of the miracles have trouble believing them. I've also noted that a person performing a miracle can have the same difficulty. Also, there have been too many charlatans running around with fake miracles to take reports at face value.

Similarly, while miracles often lead to acceptance of Christ, sometimes they have the opposite effect, and cause an even angrier rejection.
          I haven't read that bit as yet - is he saying that the miracle itself has that result, or reports of miracles? The latter would be expected.

The miracle stories he cites include healings of blindness, deafness, inability to walk, cancer, and various other ailments, and even a few instances of regeneration of tissue and eight chapters on resurrections. (He also notes that even in Scripture itself, there are no accounts of missing limbs being restored.)
          No reports of such events in detail, but there is an outside chance that they are referred to: χωλος (lame) encompasses maimed. {Matt 11:5}
          Last edited by tabibito; 11-21-2021, 10:21 AM.
          1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
          ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
          Scripture before Tradition:
          but that won't prevent others from
          taking it upon themselves to deprive you
          of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post

I haven't read that bit as yet - is he saying that the miracle itself has that result, or reports of miracles? The latter would be expected.
            I believe that statement was mostly or exclusively based on the way some people reacted in Scripture -- not the recipients of miracles, but enemies of God who saw the miracles or the results of the miracles.

So, in principle, we shouldn't be surprised if the same reactions occur today.
            Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Comment

I believe that statement was mostly or exclusively based on the way some people reacted in Scripture -- not the recipients of miracles, but enemies of God who saw the miracles or the results of the miracles.

So, in principle, we shouldn't be surprised if the same reactions occur today.
              I'll keep looking. (you don't have a page number, perchance)

ETA - Never mind - found it.
              Last edited by tabibito; 11-21-2021, 10:30 AM.
              1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
              ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post
                No reports of such events in detail, but there is an outside chance that they are referred to: χωλος (lame) encompasses maimed. {Matt 11:5}
                Also Malchus's ear comes to mind.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

Also Malchus's ear comes to mind.
                  Also with a question mark, but only a very small one.
                  ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

This thread got huge before I ever looked at it, so I've only lightly skimmed it, and interacted a bit with tangential matters.

Pertinent to the OP, I'm reading Keener's latest book, Miracles Today. One reason he wrote it was that many people, like me, never managed to slog through his prior two-volume academic work, Miracles. The smaller, more recent one's miracle accounts are mostly selections from the much more numerous ones in the earlier work, plus a few he came across more recently. In the opening chapters, he notes that some people, not just atheists but some believers, simply will not accept the possibility of "miracles"; either the evidence is false, or the non-supernatural explanation just hasn't been discovered yet. Similarly, while miracles often lead to acceptance of Christ, sometimes they have the opposite effect, and cause an even angrier rejection.

Does he provide independent medical attestation for all these "miracles"?

Do these "miracles" only occur for Americans?

Does he offer a suggestion for why this deity so selective and arbitrary in who It decides to cure?

For example, why one older lady in a nursing home and one young woman with MS but not all those suffering from MS or all older people experiencing difficulties in walking?

Might Dr Keener might have fallen of his perch?

"It ain't necessarily so
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      While there is no explicit references to archangels in the Hebrew texts, they do appear to identify Michael and Gabriel as being archangels.
                      I think we need to remember that the Hebrew texts are premised on the Canaanite pantheon of a Divine Council with lower ranking deities to run errands for and do the bidding of the High God.. That pantheon was modelled on earthly monarchs with consorts, offspring, courtiers, messengers, servants etc. Furthermore and in reference to Isaiah 14 in Canaanite mythology, Mount Saphon/Zaphon was the place of the council of the gods, just as was Olympus in the Greek tradition. The later Hebrew texts modify the Divine Council with the sons of the High God becoming the higher ranking angels and among these serried ranks of angels there is a gradual move down the "pecking order" for those lesser angelic characters who represent the lower courtiers, messengers, and servants.

Contrary to an earlier remark Lucifer was not a man. He was not the human King of Babylon. This section of Isaiah consists of oracles. These are poetic, metaphorical and allegorical texts. The taunt in Isaiah 14 against‎ Lucifer, ‎Son‎ of Dawn, ‎who ‎aspired‎ to ‎set‎ his‎ throne "above the stars of God" can be traced back to the Canaanite myths found at Ugarit, in this instance the myth of Ashar, the Day Star, who aspired to sit on the throne of Ba'al.

As for fallen angels, in 2 Enoch one of the angels, in fact the highest angel of all, had through pride attempted to set himself up to be worshipped as an equal to God [29.3-4]; “And one from out the order of angels, having turned away with the order that was under him, conceived an impossible thought, to place his throne higher than the clouds above the earth, that he might become equal in rank to my power. And I threw him out from the height with his angels, and he was flying in the air continuously above the bottomless."

Nor should we forget that throughout the ancient world the legendary narrative pattern of a combat between a hero and his adversary or the mythical narrative of a primordial cosmic struggle between two divine beings and their allies for sovereignty over the cosmos was widespread.
                      "It ain't necessarily so
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Does he offer a suggestion for why this deity so selective and arbitrary in who It decides to cure?
                        Why would you say that they are arbitrary? God may have specific reasons for each miracle.

Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post

Why would you say that they are arbitrary? God may have specific reasons for each miracle.
                          In that they appear to be so few and far between. One might expect this deity to be a little more pro-active.
                          "It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Well of course not. That truly would be a miracle. Everything else falls under the curve of greater or lesser degrees of medical recovery expectation.

For every "miraculous" cure of blindness or cancer, I wonder how many others were left groping in the dark or dying in agony?
                            When inventing a god, it is imperative to claim that it's; invisible, inaudible and imperceptible in every way. Otherwise - when it appears to no one, is silent and does nothing - intelligent people are liable to become sceptical.
                            - Anonymous

When asked why Omniscient and Omnipotent God, chose to burn alive the children of two Middle Eastern cities, came the reply;
                            “His hands were tied.” - DaveTheApologist

Comment

What's "an enemy of God"? Seems an odd position to hold.
                              When inventing a god, it is imperative to claim that it's; invisible, inaudible and imperceptible in every way. Otherwise - when it appears to no one, is silent and does nothing - intelligent people are liable to become sceptical.
                              - Anonymous

When asked why Omniscient and Omnipotent God, chose to burn alive the children of two Middle Eastern cities, came the reply;
                              “His hands were tied.” - DaveTheApologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Markus River View Post

Well of course not. That truly would be a miracle. Everything else falls under the curve of greater or lesser degrees of medical recovery expectation.

For every "miraculous" cure of blindness or cancer, I wonder how many others were left groping in the dark or dying in agony?
                                Restoring a man three or four days dead to life - within medical recovery expectation ... Yep, I can see that.

People who have lost limbs are kind of rare. In that age, rarer still would be those who survived. Any number of reasons why explicit mention of restored missing limbs might be omitted from the Biblical record, but the most likely would seem to be that they weren't encountered.
                                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment