Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Logic, Therefore God...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by seer View Post

You are not making sense, and you are avoiding the question. Saying god is everything says nothing.
    You see? I did answer the question. You just didn't see the sense within my answer.

Is your god a rock?
    Partly, yes.

A tree?
    Partly, yes.

A star?
    Yes!

Why not just call those things rocks, stars and trees?
    I do! And they are all a tiny part of the whole, of God.

How you you logically get to call these things god? Based on what? Be specific please...
    I've already specified, but you just cannot see the sense in 'everything is part of the whole. The whole is God.'

My God is creative, rational, moral, aware, knowledgeable, supremely powerful, transcendent and interactive with the universe He created.
    All the creation has been human, including your own. The fact that you give God gender is so illogical.
    I'll copy your definition and underline those words for instant reversal or removal.

God is creative, rational, moral, aware, knowledgeable, supremely powerful, transcendent and interactive with the universe He created.

....... Most of that is of your own (and others') construction. There's no morality or immorality out there, just in your head.
    Moses Laws were not about morality, they were about strength, health, growth, success, survival.

Your definition is illogical.

Comment

• Originally posted by Juvenal View Post

Doesn't sound like Einstein. And it's clearly untrue. “Hell, if I could explain it to the average person, it wouldn’t have been worth the Nobel prize,” Feynman once said, claiming he was told that by a New York cab driver.
      You needed to read the article, I think.

Fellow Caltech physicist Robert Leighton said Feynman was almost too good of a teacher. “He made things appear so simple in the classroom.......................,”

Comment

• Originally posted by Juvenal View Post

Doesn't sound like Einstein. And it's clearly untrue. “Hell, if I could explain it to the average person, it wouldn’t have been worth the Nobel prize,” Feynman once said, claiming he was told that by a New York cab driver.
        Lesson for today................. ..................... a simple one.

Albert Einstein Quotes
        If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.

Most of the fundamental ideas of science are essentially simple, and may, as a rule, be expressed in a language comprehensible to everyone.
        Albert Einstein

Albert Einstein
        “Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.” This is one of the great quotes in science.

When the solution is simple, God is answering.
        Albert Einstein

God always takes the simplest way.
        Albert Einstein

I believe that a simple and unassuming manner of life is best for everyone, best both for the body and the mind.
        Albert Einstein

I have deep faith that the principle of the universe will be beautiful and simple
        Albert Einstein

Out of clutter, find simplicity.
        Albert Einstein

I am not a genius, I am just curious. I ask many questions. and when the answer is simple, then God is answering.
        Albert Einstein

Out of complexity, find simplicity!
        Albert Einstein

Comment

• Just a quick question here:

when does a thing become a thing? For instance, is my shoe One thing, or a collection of things? Various rubber parts glued to fabric, etc. Also, there are shoestrings, tags, grommets, etc.

I am asking this with reference to the law that says each thing is identical to itself.

Comment

• Originally posted by eider View Post

Lesson for today................. ..................... a simple one.

Albert Einstein Quotes
            If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.

Most of the fundamental ideas of science are essentially simple, and may, as a rule, be expressed in a language comprehensible to everyone.
            Albert Einstein

Albert Einstein
            “Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.” This is one of the great quotes in science.

When the solution is simple, God is answering.
            Albert Einstein

God always takes the simplest way.
            Albert Einstein

I believe that a simple and unassuming manner of life is best for everyone, best both for the body and the mind.
            Albert Einstein

I have deep faith that the principle of the universe will be beautiful and simple
            Albert Einstein

Out of clutter, find simplicity.
            Albert Einstein

I am not a genius, I am just curious. I ask many questions. and when the answer is simple, then God is answering.
            Albert Einstein

Out of complexity, find simplicity!
            Albert Einstein

Einstein is the most extensively misattributed speaker on the internet. — Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by Stoic View Post

A lack of absolute certainty does not mean that everything is just as likely as everything else.
              Why not? How would you know? You have no governing rational principles. As I said, no limiting principles that aren't in fact completely subjective or relative...

Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by eider View Post
                You see? I did answer the question. You just didn't see the sense within my answer.

Partly, yes.

Partly, yes.

Yes!

I do! And they are all a tiny part of the whole, of God.

I've already specified, but you just cannot see the sense in 'everything is part of the whole. The whole is God.
                Again, why call the whole god? Why use that term? Why not just call it the whole of the physical universe? What distinction or quality does the term god bring to the table?

All the creation has been human, including your own. The fact that you give God gender is so illogical.
                I'll copy your definition and underline those words for instant reversal or removal.

God is creative, rational, moral, aware, knowledgeable, supremely powerful, transcendent and interactive with the universe He created.

....... Most of that is of your own (and others') construction. There's no morality or immorality out there, just in your head.
                Moses Laws were not about morality, they were about strength, health, growth, success, survival.

Your definition is illogical.
                You keep using the word illogical, yet my definition has violated NO law of logic - if you think otherwise show me!!!! All you are doing is asserting your opinion. Which has nothing to do with logic...

Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

• Did I ask that previous question correctly? I don't know if I made sense or not.

We discussed something similar earlier in the thread about transient identity. I understand that I am a human, and ten minutes ago I was a human, and that ten minutes from now, I will still be a human.

Does this apply to everything? What a about, say a car? Is a car a car when it becomes useful as car? What if I used a car as a boat anchor? Or during assembly... at what point does the nuts, bolts, sheet metal, etc. become the thing (and every thing is identical to itself), that we would commonly call a car.

Comment

• Originally posted by Machinist View Post
                    Did I ask that previous question correctly? I don't know if I made sense or not.

We discussed something similar earlier in the thread about transient identity. I understand that I am a human, and ten minutes ago I was a human, and that ten minutes from now, I will still be a human.

Does this apply to everything? What a about, say a car? Is a car a car when it becomes useful as car? What if I used a car as a boat anchor? Or during assembly... at what point does the nuts, bolts, sheet metal, etc. become the thing (and every thing is identical to itself), that we would commonly call a car.
                    It doesn't matter - so you are building a car and let's say it is only a third done. It does matter what you call it - it is still equal with itself. A bucket of bolts still equals a bucket of bolts. What ever the thing is, what ever stage or condition it is in, it is still equal with itself. When you are dust you will be equal with dust.

Comment

It doesn't matter - so you are building a car and let's say it is only a third done. It does matter what you call it - it is still equal with itself. A bucket of bolts still equals a bucket of bolts. What ever the thing is, what ever stage or condition it is in, it is still equal with itself. When you are dust you will be equal with dust.
                      That's good food for thought. Really interesting way to look at it. Thanks.

It's like it's beyond words and thought. It is what it is.

Comment

That's good food for thought. Really interesting way to look at it. Thanks.

It's like it's beyond words and thought. It is what it is.
                        Right - words are somewhat subjective and semantic - you can call your old car a boat anchor but that would not change the fact that it is still equal with itself...

Comment

Right - words are somewhat subjective and semantic - you can call your old car a boat anchor but that would not change the fact that it is still equal with itself...
                          So it is what it is. Everything is what it is, and that is, it is identical to itself.

Is this mind dependent?

Comment

• It is not mind dependent.

Comment

It is not mind dependent.
                              Right - the sun would still equal the sun even if there were no minds to postulate the law of identity. This is why these ideas are universal and absolute. Of course there is a caveat - the mind of God still holds these truths - eternally and absolutely.

Comment

Right - the sun would still equal the sun even if there were no minds to postulate the law of identity.
                                Is this just another way of saying that it would exist?

Comment