Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Logic, Therefore God...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by seer View Post

Logical how?
    If (as I do) you might believe that every force and thing (and all else) is a tiny part of the whole, or God, and if you perceive that this universe is only very tiny, there being many, then it is logical to perceive that the whole is far too large to be aware of this tiny galaxy, let alone this solar system.

That's how I see it all.......... and how about you?

Comment

• There is something rather than nothing. There is something because A=A. There are no examples of A not being A. If there were, reality itself would not be. There would be nothing instead of something.

Comment

• Or in other words, things would not just be "different". They wouldn't be at all. There would be nothing. No thing would exist. No space, no time, no matter.

Comment

• Originally posted by eider View Post

If (as I do) you might believe that every force and thing (and all else) is a tiny part of the whole, or God, and if you perceive that this universe is only very tiny, there being many, then it is logical to perceive that the whole is far too large to be aware of this tiny galaxy, let alone this solar system.

That's how I see it all.......... and how about you?
          Do you believe that God created the universe? Second, size has nothing to do with value. A Swiss mountain is much bigger than my granddaughters - yet they have infinitely more value to me. So we could have value to God, even though we are less than specks in the Cosmos.
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by Stoic View Post
            I say it could be both true and false, depending on which logic is in use.

But if you do that, you abandon classical logic, which says that it must be one or the other.

Not if we stick to the convention of using classical logic.
            You are equivocating Stoic. If we use your theory then we both could be right and all rationality is gone - I or you could make any contractionary claim and justify by your lights. I could say that the wall in front of me is all white and not all white. And you would have no rational grounds to object.
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

You are equivocating Stoic. If we use your theory then we both could be right and all rationality is gone - I or you could make any contractionary claim and justify by your lights. I could say that the wall in front of me is all white and not all white. And you would have no rational grounds to object.
              That's pretty much the same as a chess player saying, "If the laws of chess are not absolute, I could move my pawn backwards and you would have no grounds to object."

Comment

That's pretty much the same as a chess player saying, "If the laws of chess are not absolute, I could move my pawn backwards and you would have no grounds to object."
                Nope, since what you are suggesting undermines all rationality and science - not mere the rules of a game.

Comment

Nope, since what you are suggesting undermines all rationality and science - not mere the rules of a game.
                  What I'm suggesting doesn't undermine all rationality and science, any more than it undermines the rules of a game.

Comment

What I'm suggesting doesn't undermine all rationality and science, any more than it undermines the rules of a game.
                    Of course it does, because in the end there are no rules, merely conventions. Again if I say that the wall in front of me is all white and not all white. You would have no rational grounds to object. If you do have a rational objection please present it.

Comment

Of course it does, because in the end there are no rules, merely conventions. Again if I say that the wall in front of me is all white and not all white. You would have no rational grounds to object. If you do have a rational objection please present it.
                      Simple. You are contradicting yourself.

Comment

Simple. You are contradicting yourself.
                        How? If the laws of logic are not actually absolute then how have a contradiction myself?

Comment

How? If the laws of logic are not actually absolute then how have a contradiction myself?
                          Per the logic of convention is there a contradiction.

Comment

• Originally posted by Machinist View Post

Per the logic of convention is there a contradiction.
                            Right but there are no real contradictions in reality - something, as Stoic made clear, can be both true and false at the same time.

Comment

The laws of logic don't have to be absolute in order for a contradiction to exist.

Comment

The laws of logic don't have to be absolute in order for a contradiction to exist.
                                How is it a contradiction if both things can be true?

Comment