Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Free will and the early church

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free will and the early church

I have a question about free will which I haven't seen asked before though I'm sure someone in the past 2000 years has done so. I don't claim this disproves anything but just want to hear what people have to say.

Was it possible that in the earliest days of the church immediately following the Ascension for most people who came to believe as recorded in Acts to instead freely choose not to convert or spread the gospel? If these decisions had led to the early church dying out would that have been "God's will"?
    Last edited by MehdiR; 08-25-2021, 01:46 PM.

Originally posted by MehdiR View Post
    If these decisions had led to the early church dying out would that have been "God's will"?
    no...

Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Welcome to TWeb!

Was it possible that in the earliest days of the church immediately following the Ascension for most people who came to believe as recorded in Acts to instead freely choose not to convert or spread the gospel? If these decisions had led to the early church dying out would that have been "God's will"?
      I believe that salvation is ultimately due to God's decision, not man's decision (John 1:12-13). God chooses who will believe, and calls them, and those who are called will respond (Rom. 8:30, Acts 13:48). Then acknowledging Christ as Lord means we will obey his command, and spread the gospel (Matthew 28:19-20).

Blessings,
      Lee
      "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

God's will is that all come to the faith.

Scripture Verse: 2 Peter 3:9

9 The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance.

© Copyright Original Source

So, the Church dying out would never have been his will.
        "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

I have a question about free will which I haven't seen asked before though I'm sure someone in the past 2000 years has done so. I don't claim this disproves anything but just want to hear what people have to say.

Yes, it was possible.

As to God's will -- His Commandments express His will, but people break them all the time.
          Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
            As to God's will -- His Commandments express His will, but people break them all the time.
            Yet "the law came in to increase the trespass" (Romans 5:20), so God's will is not being frustrated, even when people sin.

"The LORD has made everything for its purpose,
            even the wicked for the day of trouble." (Proverbs 16:4)

God's purpose eventually is that people not sin, yet even sin has a purpose in the plan of God:

"For God has consigned all to disobedience, that he may have mercy on all." (Romans 11:32)

Blessings,
            Lee
            "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
              God's will is that all come to the faith.

Scripture Verse: 2 Peter 3:9

9 The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance.

© Copyright Original Source

So, the Church dying out would never have been his will.
              The "Church" as the embodiment of one overarching belief system did not exist in the mid first century CE. There were isolated groups of adherents to this new cult but there was no uniformity of belief among those adherents.
              "It ain't necessarily so
              The things that you're liable
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

Sportin' Life
              Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

The choice not to spread the gospel existed for individuals.
                The choice not to convert existed for individuals.
                Many actions that have been and are undertaken are contrary to God's will. In the ordinary course God does not choose to impose his will.

Cohesiveness of the early church before CE70 is implicit in disputes being referred to the Jerusalem elders (apostles, prophets etc).
                1Cor 15:34 Come to your senses as you ought and stop sinning; for I say to your shame, there are some who know not God.
                ⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛
                Scripture before Tradition:
                but that won't prevent others from
                taking it upon themselves to deprive you
                of the right to call yourself Christian.

⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛⊛

Comment

Originally posted by tabibito View Post

Cohesiveness of the early church before CE70 is implicit in disputes being referred to the Jerusalem elders (apostles, prophets etc).
                  Really? What sources are you citing as evidence?

"It ain't necessarily so
                  The things that you're liable
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life
                  Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Moderated By: Bill the Cat

Since this was DivineOB sock puppetting, this thread is closed. If you'd like to continue discussion, please start a new thread.

***If you wish to take issue with this notice DO NOT do so in this thread.***
                    Contact the forum moderator or an administrator in Private Message or email instead. If you feel you must publicly complain or whine, please take it to the Padded Room unless told otherwise.

That's what
                    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment