Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Christianity, Atheism, and the Problem of Evil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Good grief, you really are obtuse. Now you're arguing the analogy instead of the point being made. Perhaps I need simplify this even further for you:

What we call logic was a preexisting quality of reality. The Greeks didn't invent it, they simply codified a means to describe it.

Frankly, I'm not sure if you really don't understand this, or if you're just trolling me.
    The discipline of Logic is not automatically equated with a "preexisting quality of reality". Which branch of Logic are you applying? What is reality? And is it the same for everyone?

This is the point where you need to precisely define your terms.

"It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Remember earlier today when I coached you on asking someone to leave a thread?

Do you see anything that you just screwed up?

No?

Here let me help

First you tell the poster not to post in the thread. Obviously make sure it is a thread you started.

Pay special attention to the second sentence.

Figure it out yet?

Dingbat
      This appears to be yet another senior moment for you Why have you decided to post the above on this thread? It is hardly relevant to the topic.

"It ain't necessarily so
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

The discipline of Logic is not automatically equated with a "preexisting quality of reality". Which branch of Logic are you applying? What is reality? And is it the same for everyone?

This is the point where you need to precisely define your terms.

I'm reminded of the adage, "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig."
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I'm reminded of the adage, "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig."
          And this where I note that metaphysics, philosophy, and neuroscience [not to mention mathematics] are probably not your forte.
          "It ain't necessarily so
          To read in the Bible
          It ain't necessarily so
          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

And this where I note that metaphysics, philosophy, and neuroscience [not to mention mathematics] are probably not your forte.
            Says the clueless wonder who thinks logic is a human construct.

Comment

This appears to be yet another senior moment for you Why have you decided to post the above on this thread? It is hardly relevant to the topic.

Maybe it was the result of a dingbat telling me to leave a thread she hadn't started.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Says the clueless wonder who thinks logic is a human construct.
                Irrespective of your misapprehension the concept of Logic was formulated and developed by various ancient Greek speaking thinkers.

The modern discipline and application of Logic can be found here https://plato.stanford.edu/search/se...py?query=Logic while the research concerning perception, consciousness, and reality is another huge area of scientific inquiry.

These are very diverse and complex concepts and disciplines which cannot be condensed into a soundbite.

"It ain't necessarily so
                To read in the Bible
                It ain't necessarily so
                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Maybe it was the result of a dingbat telling me to leave a thread she hadn't started.
                  Anyone else notice that whenever H_A doesn't understand something it is because the person posting it is ignorant or an idiot, and never, ever even once, because just maybe she isn't as smart as she thinks she is?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

That reminds me of the dingbat who on replying to a post I had made on another thread and in which I included an image of The Ship of Fools by Bosch, pompously advised me that by not using something by Bosch I had "squandered an opportunity".

It would appear that Bosch's ship had ample room for one more occupant.
                    "It ain't necessarily so
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Irrespective of your misapprehension the concept of Logic was formulated and developed by various ancient Greek speaking thinkers.
                      The rules of logic formally codified by the Greeks are descriptive, not prescriptive. Do you really not get that?

Comment

That reminds me of the dingbat who on replying to a post I had made on another thread and in which I included an image of The Ship of Fools by Bosch, pompously advised me that by not using something by Bosch I had "squandered an opportunity".

It would appear that Bosch's ship had ample room for one more occupant.
                        Let me show you something that seems to mystify you. It's called admitting that you made a mistake. I didn't recognize the work as being by Bosch. He has another work on the same subject that I'm familiar with and the particular painting you posted far more resembled something by the Brueghels or their studio than it did anything by him.

See how easy it was? Didn't hurt even a little bit.

Now maybe you might try it.

Comment

Let me show you something that seems to mystify you. It's called admitting that you made a mistake. I didn't recognize the work as being by Bosch. He has another work on the same subject that I'm familiar with and the particular painting you posted far more resembled something by the Brueghels or their studio than it did anything by him.

See how easy it was? Didn't hurt even a little bit.

Now maybe you might try it.
                          Oh good grief! Are we now adding Art Historian to our collection of supposed expert knowledge?

What is so amusing is that this is by no means the first occasion on which you have made such a pratfall yet you do not appear to learn from your mistakes.

A simple fact-check would have prevented you from [once again] making an idiot of yourself.
                          "It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

The rules of logic formally codified by the Greeks are descriptive, not prescriptive. Do you really not get that?
                            To which specific branch of Logic are you referring?
                            "It ain't necessarily so
                            To read in the Bible
                            It ain't necessarily so
                            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

It's obvious when you've been knocked back on your heels in a debate because you try to divert the conversation into minutia. It's one of your most consistent "tells".

Comment

There you go again! But we have always used Aristotelian logic on these boards...

https://criticalthinkeracademy.com/c...ectures/751630
                                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment