Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Christianity, Atheism, and the Problem of Evil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post

Apparently not to any sufficient degree to not make a hash of it when debating theology and cutting the legs out from under your own argument.
    What on earth has logic got to do with a superstitious panacea of eschatological redemption?
    "It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

What on earth has logic got to do with a superstitious panacea of eschatological redemption?

I really hope you remember this the next time you try to formulate a logical argument against the existence of God.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I really hope you remember this the next time you try to formulate a logical argument against the existence of God.
        I have never attempted to formulate a logical argument against the existence of otherwise of any form of Supreme Creator Being.

I merely utilise the various beliefs in, and the various constructs of, such an entity to question those beliefs and constructs.

However, if the believer really accepts that their Supreme Creator Being is indeed omniscient and omnipotent it follows that such a Supreme Creator Being can do anything it likes regardless of how illogical or impossible that may appear to mere fallible human beings.
        "It ain't necessarily so
        To read in the Bible
        It ain't necessarily so
        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

However, if the believer really accepts that their Supreme Creator Being is indeed omniscient and omnipotent it follows that such a Supreme Creator Being can do anything it likes regardless of how illogical or impossible that may appear to mere fallible human beings.
          No, that doesn't follow.

You are essentially positing a being who can be both God and not God at the same time and in the same sense.

Comment

No, that doesn't follow.

You are essentially positing a being who can be both God and not God at the same time and in the same sense.
            Can an ant comprehend and understand the design and all the attendant technology of the space shuttle? Yet the huge gap between the ant's comprehension and understanding of the shuttle is infinitesimal in comparison to human understanding of an alleged omniscient and omnipotent Supreme Creator Being.
            "It ain't necessarily so
            To read in the Bible
            It ain't necessarily so
            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Can an ant comprehend and understand the design and all the attendant technology of the space shuttle? Yet the huge gap between the ant's comprehension and understanding of the shuttle is infinitesimal in comparison to human understanding of an alleged omniscient and omnipotent Supreme Creator Being.
              Correct.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

This is honestly too ridiculous to even bother responding to. I suppose you think an omnipotent being really could create a rock too heavy for himself to lift.

Comment

This is honestly too ridiculous to even bother responding to. I suppose you think an omnipotent being really could create a rock too heavy for himself to lift.
                  It does not matter what I think. You want an omniscient and omnipotent deity yet you want that deity constrained by human constructs i.e. logic.
                  "It ain't necessarily so
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

It does not matter what I think. You want an omniscient and omnipotent deity yet you want that deity constrained by human constructs i.e. logic.
                    Logic is not a human construct, you moron.

Comment

Logic is not a human construct, you moron.
                      Of course logic is a human construct. From whence do you imagine it originated? They were very clever those ancient Greeks!
                      "It ain't necessarily so
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Of course logic is a human construct. From whence do you imagine it originated? They were very clever those ancient Greeks!
                        You are conflating the existence of a thing with the language used to describe that thing. It would be like claiming that horses didn't exist until someone decided to call them horses.

Comment

You are conflating the existence of a thing with the language used to describe that thing. It would be like claiming that horses didn't exist until someone decided to call them horses.
                          You are confusing concepts with living entities. These two things are not directly comparable and therefore the analogy collapses.

"It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

You are confusing concepts with living entities. These two things are not directly comparable and therefore the analogy collapses.
                            Good grief, you really are obtuse. Now you're arguing the analogy instead of the point being made. Perhaps I need simplify this even further for you:

What we call logic was a preexisting quality of reality. The Greeks didn't invent it, they simply codified a means to describe it.

Frankly, I'm not sure if you really don't understand this, or if you're just trolling me.

Comment

Good grief, you really are obtuse. Now you're arguing the analogy instead of the point being made. Perhaps I need simplify this even further for you:

What we call logic was a preexisting quality of reality. The Greeks didn't invent it, they simply codified a means to describe it.

Frankly, I'm not sure if you really don't understand this, or if you're just trolling me.
                              I think she just loves to argue - hence the endless derails, moronic off-topic questions, nutty assumptions, requests for definitions...
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

If you wish to have an exchange on comparative religions do feel free to start a thread
                                Remember earlier today when I coached you on asking someone to leave a thread?

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                Yes you can.

First you tell the poster not to post in the thread. Obviously make sure it is a thread you started.

Then report the post (hit the "flag" option) and include your reason.

Generally it will be approved[1[. Recently one wasn't because the OP was kicking anyone out who disagreed with what they said. That's what blogs are for. This is a debate/discussion forum -- although a member can start a blog (same rules apply as posting here though).

Finally, you can't keep addressing older posts by the person you kicked out, nor talk about them since that allows them to return and respond.

1. keep in mind that we are generally short staffed and it can take awhile for a response. If it really is a problem, file another report

Do you see anything that you just screwed up?

No?

Here let me help

First you tell the poster not to post in the thread. Obviously make sure it is a thread you started.

Pay special attention to the second sentence.

Figure it out yet?

​​​​​​​Dingbat

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment