Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Christianity, Atheism, and the Problem of Evil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
    What is nonsense? The fact that the earth orbits the sun? Or the overall shape of the earth?

Both you and Sparko have yet to define either .

BS, I defined it very clearly for you. In detail. Go back and look at post 155.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      As I said science is about discovering facts about reality. That's what it does. Nothing you say above contradicts that.

Perhaps you should invest in a dictionary.

There is one reality. An absolute truth corresponds with that reality. It is not "subjectively" but "objectively" true. It is true for you and it is true for me and it is true for everyone. Because it corresponds with reality. If you say that baryonic matter is made up of protons, neutrons and electrons, then that is an absolute truth. It is true for you. it is true for me, it is true even if someone doesn't believe in matter. If you say the Earth's overall shape is a spheroid, that is true for everyone, even if some people think it is flat as a pancake. That is an absolute/objective truth statement. It corresponds with reality.
      Yes,absolute truth exists, but beyond fallible human comprehension. If God exists absolute truth is the nature of God. If God does not exist the absolute truth is the ultimate nature of our physical existence.
      Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
      Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
      But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

• Originally posted by Starlight View Post
        In terms of "totalitarian overlord" the Christian God would seem hard to beat - making some large percentage of humanity suffer in hell for eternity seems rather totalitarian and overlordish. Seems a bit of a paradox to worship an all-powerful God while denouncing totalitarian rule and lauding individual freedom.
        I'm late to this thread......... !
        Yeah..... but wasn't it most clever?? !
        Look, the Romans did have a fairly good deterrent to serious crime; to be tied to a cross (or stake?) with hands pinned so that they could not struggle free and with feet strapped/pinned to a ledge so that the convict could push upwards for breath and relief, this punishment not only exposed the naked convict to ridicule as it urinated and defecated publicly but it kept itself alive for up to three days.

But Christianity could threaten much worse. As your OP shows, unending terror and agony....for eternity....now beat that. And, of course, there had to be methods of sending transgressors in to the flames of hell from life to hereinafter. Totalitarian and Overlordish indeed.

While there is some individual freedom for many Christians today, not so long ago there was very little. Any who questioned the scriptures or church had 'had it'. I would have been toast.... literally. :)

Comment

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

Yes,absolute truth exists, but beyond fallible human comprehension. .
          Absolutely. When I was a kid my (CofE) Geography text book introduction pages had a picture which showed how the Solar system had developed. The Sun had begun to bulge and centrifugal force had caused this bulge to lengthen out in to a line of matter which had then broken up to form the planets and all. That is what we were taught in the 50's in C of E Primary schools. Human comprehension of truth shifts quite noticeably even in a single lifetime.

Comment

• Originally posted by tabibito View Post

No more paradoxical than the atheist complaints that God is a "totalitarian overlord" whilst complaining that God permits evil instead of preventing it. Not even as paradoxical as the atheist complaints.
            Agnostics might just possibly complain that God is a totalitarian overlord, but surely no atheist would say such things?
            Atheists don't even believe that there is a God, so you won't be hearing suck complaints from any real atheist.

Comment

• Originally posted by Starlight View Post
              Nonetheless, one could logically hold that if a God existed who held great power, then it would be moral of him to use that power positively for the preservation and wellbeing of conscious entities, such that preventing harm to them was moral whilst sending them to hell for eternity was not.
              If there would be a God who held great power then that God would make the rules, and the word 'moral' wouldn't exist.
              And I'll bet that this God wouldn't take that much notice of 'conscious entities'.
              Look at humans......... they destroy conscious entities for convenience, food, greed, anger, etc......
              And the God of the bible could be very jealous, very angry...... conscious entities could become toast very quickly.

Comment