Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Atheism, Slavery, And The Moral High Ground...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by seer View Post
    I did not use objective or absolute here.
    If you actually used the terms, you might be less likely to confuse the concepts.

But you made my point. You do believe that some things are always wrong. But rationally how could that be if ethical relativism is the case? Is it just a private notion of yours? Because if it is you know that these things are not always wrong.
    I know that others might disagree with me about whether something is always wrong. But their disagreement doesn't change my opinion.

Or are you channeling the higher ideals of universal moral truths?
    I'm trying to explain to you that even someone who does not believe that anything is objectively immoral might believe that some things are absolutely immoral.

But I'm not sure you're ever going to get it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stoic View Post
      If you actually used the terms, you might be less likely to confuse the concepts.
      I am not confused in the least.

I'm trying to explain to you that even someone who does not believe that anything is objectively immoral might believe that some things are absolutely immoral.

But I'm not sure you're ever going to get it.
      How can any thing be absolutely immoral if moral relativism is the case?
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by Juvenal View Post

There is something more wrong than each of these, such that constructing a choice between the two makes none of them absolute:

Would you lie to save a life, seer?

I would. Because sometimes telling the truth is wrong.
        No lying is still always wrong. If I decided to lie to save a life the lie is still immoral. And I would have to repent for that sin. This would apply to your train switch dilemma. Killing the single innocent man would still be a moral evil. Christians are not consequentialists, we are closer to deontological ethics.

Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

No lying is still always wrong. If I decided to lie to save a life the lie is still immoral. And I would have to repent for that sin.
          Really? Wow. I didn't know you thought that way. Not saying that's bad or anything, but that is really insightful into the way you think about things.

Comment

• Not really participating in this, because such debates are just not my thang.

But I'm going on record as saying I don't consider lying to be universally wrong. Rahab was to be commended, not condemned, for her lying.
            Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

• What does that say about the Christian though, who does not subscribe to deontological ethics?

Comment

• Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                Not really participating in this, because such debates are just not my thang.

But I'm going on record as saying I don't consider lying to be universally wrong. Rahab was to be commended, not condemned, for her lying.
                Commended for lying or saving the spies? The Lord detests lying lips... And she isn't actually commended for lying...

By faith Rahab the prostitute did not perish with those who were disobedient, because she had given a friendly welcome to the spies. (Heb 11:31)

And in the same way was not also Rahab the prostitute justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out by another way. (James 2:25)
                Last edited by seer; 05-16-2021, 12:23 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Machinist View Post
                  Really? Wow. I didn't know you thought that way. Not saying that's bad or anything, but that is really insightful into the way you think about things.
                  For a lot of us, something being immoral entails that you shouldn't do it. For others, those are completely separate questions.

Comment

• I think it stems from the doctrine of Sovereignty.

Comment

• If I lied to save a life, I can't conceive of me thinking that it would be a sin and necessary of repentance. But what does that say about my Faith in Christ?

I've never been in a situation like that, but I just can't think that I would feel any guilt, or feel that I have somehow offended God.

Comment

• But if God is all Sovereign even over the totality of cause and effect since time began, than I can see how lying would always be immoral in any situation.

Comment

I am not confused in the least.

How can any thing be absolutely immoral if moral relativism is the case?
                          I can consider something to be always wrong, even if that only means that it's my opinion that it's always wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stoic View Post

I can consider something to be always wrong, even if that only means that it's my opinion that it's always wrong.
                            If you admit that it is merely your opinion, then they can't really be absolute. Can they?

Comment

• Originally posted by Machinist View Post
                              If I lied to save a life, I can't conceive of me thinking that it would be a sin and necessary of repentance. But what does that say about my Faith in Christ?
                              Exactly... I'm not saying I would be any more brave mind you...

Comment

If you admit that it is merely your opinion, then they can't really be absolute. Can they?
                                Depends on how you define "absolute".

Comment