Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Atheism, Slavery, And The Moral High Ground...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Apparently you are blissfully unaware that many of these sites exhibit work done over many multiple generations.
    Yes, humans are able to learn art from other humans, just as other animals are able to learn art from humans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal-made_art

Comment

• Originally posted by Stoic View Post

Yes, humans are able to learn art from other humans, just as other animals are able to learn art from humans.

Who taught the first humans to write and do art? And we know that early writing sprung up independently with different tribes.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        Sure as heck isn't capitalism. Capitalism uses technology to make things better so that people will want to buy it. Just like how automobiles replaced horse and buggies. Electric cars will replace gasoline cars when they are better than gasoline cars. If they have more features, better travel radius, more power, easier to maintain, and cheaper to own and operate, then people will buy them over gas cars and they will replace them. Simple economics. Make a better mousetrap and people will buy it. Regulations just hurt people. If there is nothing ready to replace gas cars, then making gas more expensive just hurts people and angers them. Like Biden canceling the pipeline and then not having green jobs to replace the lost jobs with.
        Making gas more expensive and trusting capitalism to come up with an alternative is arguably more efficient than having the government decide what the alternative is going to be, and having government provide it.

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post

Who taught the first humans to write and do art? And we know that early writing sprung up independently with different tribes.
          I'm not saying that humans can't invent writing and art. I just don't think it's likely to happen in one generation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Machinist View Post
            What would have been really cool if some other animal than the monkey took that quantum leap. Like for instance, what if it was the Tiger instead of the monkey, and instead of monkey looking people, you would have Tiger looking people. And the tiger would be referred to as Man's closest relative, and there would be ongoing debate about whether or not we evolved from Tigers. I mean, I wonder why it was monkeys, and not Tigers?
            images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSFZZeEUXXNmfpffzAyhO_lHea_KHElK4EIqg&usqp=CAU.jpg
            Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

aliens-guy.jpg
              Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

So we are not determined? So humans do escape instinctual behaviors?
                Our behavior is not ‘determined’ by Natural Selection but as a social species our evolved ‘instincts’ incline us to behave in certain ways to enhance communal living. Although, some resist. Just as a mother is instinctively predisposed to nurture her child. She is free to reject this role and some do.
                “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  Once again you are desperately attempting to distract attention away from what happens when you and your ilk achieve complete power.
                  Not so. It is YOU desperately diverting attention away from centuries of Christian slave ownership by claiming that slavery in totalitarian states is worse. It’s not – slavery is unacceptable no matter who the perpetrators.

But the difference is that Christian slavery came under the auspices of scriptural justification and the fictional notion of universal, objective, God-given morality. Until it didn't.

The hypocrisy of the Christian far right and its ilk is plain for all to see.

“He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

I'm not saying that humans can't invent writing and art. I just don't think it's likely to happen in one generation.
                    I agree with that. I don't think it's plausible that within one or even two generations, a feral tribe of humans would develop even crude notations, that the group agreed upon, and that could then be taught and passed down to the next generation.

I wonder how many generations it would take, left to themselves without any interference from the outside world that is?
                    Last edited by Machinist; 06-08-2021, 05:14 AM.

Comment

Making gas more expensive and trusting capitalism to come up with an alternative is arguably more efficient than having the government decide what the alternative is going to be, and having government provide it.
                      Meanwhile the Earth is being destroyed. There is plastic at the bottom of blue holes and an island the size of Texas composed of nothing but plastic in the middle of the Pacific. Capitalism is not going to address this. Before this system develops any sustainable technology, the rain forests of the Earth will be pastureland. It needs to cease and desist immediately.

Comment

Are these animals are even aware what they have been taught is "art"? Do they even have a concept of art?

In contrast nobody showed humans how to create art. They didn't just mechanically repeat what they were shown by some other creature.

IOW, humans weren't taught -- they created it.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• I don't know. These guys are still monkey looking tiger people. What I mean is they are shaped similar to monkeys still. This is not what I am talking about.

Comment

Right, but it didn't seem to happen with any other species no matter how many generations they had. This is a real distinction of humanity. Along with many others.
                            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post

Our behavior is not ‘determined’ by Natural Selection but as a social species our evolved ‘instincts’ incline us to behave in certain ways to enhance communal living. Although, some resist. Just as a mother is instinctively predisposed to nurture her child. She is free to reject this role and some do.
                              You are not making sense. Primates live communally yet that is biologically determined. So do you agree that we have free will? Yes or no?

Comment

• Originally posted by Machinist View Post
                                What would have been really cool if some other animal than the monkey took that quantum leap. Like for instance, what if it was the Tiger instead of the monkey, and instead of monkey looking people, you would have Tiger looking people. And the tiger would be referred to as Man's closest relative, and there would be ongoing debate about whether or not we evolved from Tigers. I mean, I wonder why it was monkeys, and not Tigers?
                                Two suggestions.

A) Pick up a book on basic biology.

2. Share.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment