Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Atheism, Slavery, And The Moral High Ground...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

Yes, they vary, but even in prehistoric humans and Neanderthals there is evidence of caring for the elderly and disabled.
    Is this a game changer? It sounds like a game changer.

Comment

• ShunyDragon,

These two statements seem to be incompatible:

Yes, they vary, but even in prehistoric humans and Neanderthals there is evidence of caring for the elderly and disabled.

The survival of the human species is dependent on the existence of morals and ethics for the necessary social cooperation and structure, and a social tribal and community structure

If morality is based on the survival of the human species, why would the need to care for the elderly even be a thing?

Comment

• Originally posted by Machinist View Post

Is this a game changer? It sounds like a game changer.
        Why?
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• It's not.

Comment

• Originally posted by Machinist View Post
            ShunyDragon,

These two statements seem to be incompatible:

The survival of the human species is dependent on the existence of morals and ethics for the necessary social cooperation and structure, and a social tribal and community structure

If morality is based on the survival of the human species, why would the need to care for the elderly even be a thing?
            And remember some cultures killed babies born with physical defects.
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

This is an assertion that does not hold. In all cultures of the world there are morals and ethics, and some like Buddhism are far superior to the history of Christianity concerning the moral issues of slavery and how to treat women.

Morals and ethics have been demonstrated to be universal in the history of humanity. Yes, they vary, but even in prehistoric humans and Neanderthals there is evidence of caring for the elderly and disabled.

Hasn't the concept of karma been used to justify slavery by Buddhists? Don't they have an entire set of descriptors for various slaves including Amaya-dasa "slave by birth", and Kila-dasa "bought slave"?

Doesn't Buddhism also allow debt slavery, and forbid debtors from becoming monks?

Didn't the Buddhists in Burma codify over a dozen forms of slavery?

Didn't the Buddhist nation of Bhutan permit slavery up through the late 1950s?

slavery1.jpg
              Here are two Tibetans slaves that were kept
              in Buddhist Tibet. It appears that before China
              invaded the country that the Dali Lama owned slaves

As for wimmenfolk, we have this saying from the Amitābha (Celestial Buddha):

"So profound is Amida’s great compassion
              That, manifesting inconceivable Buddha-wisdom,
              The Buddha established the Vow of transformation [of women] into men,
              Thereby vowing to enable women to attain Buddhahood"

Buddha is so compassionate that he'll turn women into men. That reminds me of how the Mormons once taught that God will lighten the skin of blacks and turn them white

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post

So? You can not even make the case that slavery in wrong in the first place.
                Did not respond to my post. You cannot make an argument against slavery based on the Bible nor the history of Christianity.

I can make a case based on the morals arguments of historical figures like Abraham Lincoln and others.

As far as the from the theological perspective I can refer to the the Bahai Faith that has forbidden all forms of slavery since the mid 1800's
                Last edited by shunyadragon; 05-23-2021, 10:11 AM.
                Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  Hasn't the concept of karma been used to justify slavery by Buddhists? Don't they have an entire set of descriptors for various slaves including Amaya-dasa "slave by birth", and Kila-dasa "bought slave"?

Doesn't Buddhism also allow debt slavery, and forbid debtors from becoming monks?

slavery1.jpg

As for wimmenfolk, we have this saying from the Amitābha (Celestial Buddha):

Buddha is so compassionate that he'll turn women into men. That reminds me of how the Mormons once taught that God will lighten the skin of blacks and turn them white
                  Gross misrepresentation of Buddhism. Transformation in Buddhist is two way street as in the God/Goddess Guanyin.
                  But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    This does not assert that slavery is moral.

Debt slaver {indentured servitude) is common in all ancient cultures and not forbidden until the Baha'i Revelation. The endentured may become monks after debt is paid.

slavery1.jpg

As for wimmen (sp?) folk, we have this saying from the Amitābha (Celestial Buddha):

[/QUOTE]

Frank

Comment

Gross misrepresentation of Buddhism.
                      Are the things I listed true or not?

Did Buddhist-controlled nations just still permit slavery into the mid 20th cent. or not?

Did the so-called Celestial Buddha not say that women will be blessed and transformed into men?

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

This does not assert that slavery is moral.

Debt slaver {indentured servitude) is common in all ancient cultures and not forbidden until the Baha'i Revelation. The endentured may become monks after debt is paid.
                        It wasn't just debt slavery. You don't have debt-slaves since birth (Amaya-dasa "slave by birth"). That's chattel slavery.

And here you are now basically admitting that the Buddhists are no different from "other ancient cultures." Disappearing faster than a morning mist in the rays of a hot summer sun is your declaration of how "Buddhism [is] far superior to the history of Christianity concerning the moral issues of slavery and how to treat women."

And the Baha'i Revelation was IIRC after Europe (Christians) outlawed debt slavery.

Comment

Did not respond to my post. You cannot make an argument against slavery based on the Bible nor the history of Christianity.

I can make a case based on the morals arguments of historical figures like Abraham Lincoln and others.

As far as the from the theological perspective I can refer to the the Bahai Faith that has forbidden all forms of slavery since the mid 1800's
                          The abolition movement was well under way in the West before Baháʼu'lláh jumped on the bandwagon. And it was Christians who made the argument against slavery based on the teaching of the New Testament.

Comment

So I will ask again, why is slavery a moral wrong?
                            That depends on the moral codes and customs of the society.

From Stanford: https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/morality-definition/

More particularly, the term “morality” can be used either
                            1. descriptively to refer to certain codes of conduct put forward by a society or a group (such as a religion), or accepted by an individual for her own behavior, or
                            2. normatively to refer to a code of conduct that, given specified conditions, would be put forward by all rational people.

However, there is also the consideration of ethics which is a philosophical discipline [that covers a vast array of topics] which reflects upon various codes of conduct, customs and habits, the ways humans live together as societies, and considers the principles behind what are deemed to be appropriate [good or bad] behaviours of individuals, groups, or indeed humankind in general.

As an example of that first definition given by Stanford

A is living in a society of blue-eyed people where brown eyed people are deemed to be abnormal, degenerate, and lacking the qualities [deemed superior by that society] of blue-eyed people. Anyone with brown eyes is routinely incarcerated and never seen again.

A meets B who is brown-eyed. A is, under the moral codes of a society that considers these people dangerous and inferior, bound to report B.

However, is it ethical for A to report B to the authorities?

"It ain't necessarily so
                            The things that you're liable
                            To read in the Bible
                            It ain't necessarily so
                            ."

Sportin' Life
                            Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

That depends on the moral codes and customs of the society.

From Stanford: https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/morality-definition/

More particularly, the term “morality” can be used either
                              1. descriptively to refer to certain codes of conduct put forward by a society or a group (such as a religion), or accepted by an individual for her own behavior, or
                              2. normatively to refer to a code of conduct that, given specified conditions, would be put forward by all rational people.

However, there is also the consideration of ethics which is a philosophical discipline [that covers a vast array of topics] which reflects upon various codes of conduct, customs and habits, the ways humans live together as societies, and considers the principles behind what are deemed to be appropriate [good or bad] behaviours of individuals, groups, or indeed humankind in general.

As an example of that first definition given by Stanford

A is living in a society of blue-eyed people where brown eyed people are deemed to be abnormal, degenerate, and lacking the qualities [deemed superior by that society] of blue-eyed people. Anyone with brown eyes is routinely incarcerated and never seen again.

A meets B who is brown-eyed. A is, under the moral codes of a society that considers these people dangerous and inferior, bound to report B.

However, is it ethical for A to report B to the authorities?
                              Then it is all relative. And any moral disgust you may feel over the question of slavery is merely emotional and cultural.

Comment

Then it is all relative.
                                How do you arrive at that conclusion?

"It ain't necessarily so
                                The things that you're liable
                                To read in the Bible
                                It ain't necessarily so
                                ."

Sportin' Life
                                Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment