Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Does God approve of mistreating slaves?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    There are obviously a number of ways that one might become a slave, but according to Old Testament law, it was explicitly forbidden to force someone into servitude against their will under penalty of death.

Sorry, could you point out where it says that fathers can sell their daughters into slavery against the daughter's will?
    I'd ask you where it is explicitly forbidden for a father to sell his daughter into slavery against their will, but we both know it doesn't.

(I hope this ends the slavery derail).
    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
    MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

• rogue06
      rogue06 commented
      Editing a comment
      end? more like started it anew

Originally posted by Ignorant Roy View Post
    I'd ask you where it is explicitly forbidden for a father to sell his daughter into slavery against their will, but we both know it doesn't.

(I hope this ends the slavery derail).
    Scripture Verse: Exodus 21:16

Whoever steals a man and sells him, and anyone found in possession of him, shall be put to death.

© Copyright Original Source

(Derail is continued here.)
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Why has no one mentioned the New Covenant teachings?
      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Feels like terms need to be defined. And why did they not have words for employee or apprentice or adoption?
        If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
          Why has no one mentioned the New Covenant teachings?
          You think a discussion about the Old Covenant versus the New Covenant will make a dent in the ignorant minds of people who can't even seem to understand what the Bible really says about slavery?

Comment

Or the difference between chattel slavery and the slavery practiced in the ANE? If someone trades their labor for goods and services voluntarily, is that slavery or employment? Not to memtion they were a group oriented culture. Individual oriented cultures are the rare ones. Don't be a bigot about other cultures. It wasn't sex slavery or field slavery.
            If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
              Bollocks.

Every liberal I've ever seen commenting on the subject has agreed that the Israelites and the American colonies both had both indentured servitude and chattel slavery. American indentured servitude was akin to OT indentured servitude, and American slavery was akin to OT slavery. Indentured servitude doesn't count as slavery because it isn't slavery, and I've never seen anyone say that it did.

You really should find out if your arguments are before posting them
              But Biblical slavery, which provided more protections for those involved than even indentured servitude did, is equated to chattel slavery by those on the left and scoffers all the time. Go figure.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Then according to scripture, slavery is still permitted.
                The Bible tells you how you should act if you own slaves. The last time I looked there are still an awful lot of slavery in the world so such instructions are needed -- although, interestingly, not in the West.

I wonder why.

Paul's instructions require that you TREAT your slave like a brother in Christ. So instead of just saying "Abolish slavery!" in a society that would at best ignore you and likely prosecute you for fermenting a slave revolt, he, very cleverly I add, focused on treatment. It was from this acorn that eventually the Abolitionist movement grew and why there is no slavery in the "Christian west" while it is still rampant in Muslim countries, as well as far left secular "people's paradises."
                Last edited by rogue06; 05-13-2021, 08:11 AM. Reason: "treat" not "teach"

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  But Biblical slavery, which provided more protections for those involved than even indentured servitude did, is equated to chattel slavery by those on the left and scoffers all the time. Go figure.
                  Because it is chattel slavery. Slaves being purchased, being treated as permanent possessions, and being bequeathed is chattel slavery. Protections against mistreatment don't affect that, any more than laws about how you drive mean you don't own your car.

Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Because it is chattel slavery. Slaves being purchased, being treated as permanent possessions, and being bequeathed is chattel slavery. Protections against mistreatment don't affect that, any more than laws about how you drive mean you don't own your car.
                    Permanent possessions? Are you familiar with the Jubilee? And an indentured servant most certainly could be "bequeathed" if their owner died. The debt didn't magically disappear. Moreover, FWIU, the debt of an indentured servant could be sold to someone else, and guess what went along with the debt. The one who owed it.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      Permanent possessions? Are you familiar with the Jubilee?
                      Yes. It applied only to Hebrews, not to foreign slaves.

Comment

Yes. It applied only to Hebrews, not to foreign slaves.
                        My understanding is that Hebrew slaves were released every seven years, whereas everyone else (typically P.O.W.s who accepted servitude over death) were freed during the actual Jubilee.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          Scripture Verse: Exodus 21:16

Whoever steals a man and sells him, and anyone found in possession of him, shall be put to death.

© Copyright Original Source

Anyone feel like explaining to MM the difference between men and girls?

Comment

Anyone feel like explaining to MM the difference between men and girls?
                            Right after the left finally figures it out

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                              Or the difference between chattel slavery and the slavery practiced in the ANE? If someone trades their labor for goods and services voluntarily, is that slavery or employment? Not to memtion they were a group oriented culture. Individual oriented cultures are the rare ones. Don't be a bigot about other cultures. It wasn't sex slavery or field slavery.
                              Ironically, the essentials of indentured servitude which skeptics decry as immoral still exists today in the form of credit, where you receive money upfront, and a portion of your economic output belongs to the lender until the loan is paid in full with often harsh penalties if you are unable to meet your obligations.

Comment