Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Richard Dawkins stripped of 1996 Humanist of the Year Award...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Meanwhile the book of Enoch describes "the smiting of the embryo in the womb that it may pass away," as being literally demonically inspired (1 Enoch 69:12) declaring that an evil angel taught humans how to "smash the embryo in the womb"
    The Book of Enoch is Jewish Apocrypha. Are you going to cite The Infancy Gospel of Thomas as an exemplar for the character of Jesus as a child?

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Josephus declared in his Against Apion” Book II:
    The short answer to all this is that in Jewish law there is no belief [common among abortion opponents] that life begins at conception. In Jewish law, a foetus attains the status of a full person only at birth. Nor is the opinion in Judaism cut and dried.

From here:
    https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/abortion-in-judaism:

The scholars deduced the prohibition against abortion by an a fortiori argument from the laws concerning abstention from procreation, or onanism, or having sexual relations with one's wife when likely to harm the fetus in her womb – the perpetrator whereof being regarded as "a shedder of blood" (Yev. 62b; Nid. 13a and 31a; Ḥavvat Ya'ir, no. 31; She'elat Yaveẓ, 1:43; Mishpetei Uziel, 3:46).”

This appears to be the underlying meaning of the quotation from Josephus that you cited. From the same site, “during the Talmudic period abortion was not considered a transgression unless the foetus was viable [ben keyama].” In the view of R. Ishmael, only a Gentile, to whom some of the basic transgressions applied with greater stringency, incurred the death penalty for causing the loss of the fetus (Sanh. 57b).”

A little later we have the Judeo-Christian Sibylline Oracles (not to be confused with the Roman Sibylline Books), which contains a wealth of information regarding both Jewish and early Christian beliefs, in which we can read the following:

Next we have the Jewish work Sentences of Pseudo-Phocylides, dating somewhere from between 100B.C. and 100A.D.:
    Both of which works were composed within Hellenised Judaism. I suppose you are aware of the influence of Hellenism [and indeed other cultures] upon Second Temple Judaism?

From Walter T Wilson’s The Sentences of Pseudo-Phocylides:

“Our poem, then, despite its pretensions, is an example of classicizing, not classical, literature, entailing as such the transformative impersonation of a great author from the classical past. In its basic profile, the Sentences is consistent with other Jewish reimaginings of this past, in which Greek poets find their inspiration in Jewish sources. Pseudo-Phocylides “placed these sentences in the mouth of a Greek thinker who lived centuries earlier in order to show that already in ancient times the wisdom of the Greeks was influenced by the spirit of Moses, with the result that Jewish Torah and Greek ethics were thoroughly in agreement”.

[You might also like to look up Philo of Alexandria’s On the Life of Moses]

You may also want to take a look at Birth Control in Jewish Law: Marital Relations, Contraception, and Abortion as Set Forth in the Classic Texts of Jewish Law by David Michael Feldman Abortion and the Early Church: Christian, Jewish and Pagan Attitudes in the Greco-Roman World by Michael Gorman[1] but be prepared to have your narrative dismantled
    Hmm... I note there are no quotes from these works. Presumably you could not find any online.

Were you actually in possession of these texts a few paragraphs [or short quotes with page references] could easily have been supplied.

1. Another one of use is Is God a Moral Monster by Paul Copan
    The same with this one.

"It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
      The Book of Enoch is Jewish Apocrypha. Are you going to cite The Infancy Gospel of Thomas as an exemplar for the character of Jesus as a child?

The short answer to all this is that in Jewish law there is no belief [common among abortion opponents] that life begins at conception. In Jewish law, a foetus attains the status of a full person only at birth. Nor is the opinion in Judaism cut and dried.

From here:
      https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/abortion-in-judaism:

The scholars deduced the prohibition against abortion by an a fortiori argument from the laws concerning abstention from procreation, or onanism, or having sexual relations with one's wife when likely to harm the fetus in her womb – the perpetrator whereof being regarded as "a shedder of blood" (Yev. 62b; Nid. 13a and 31a; Ḥavvat Ya'ir, no. 31; She'elat Yaveẓ, 1:43; Mishpetei Uziel, 3:46).”

This appears to be the underlying meaning of the quotation from Josephus that you cited. From the same site, “during the Talmudic period abortion was not considered a transgression unless the foetus was viable [ben keyama].” In the view of R. Ishmael, only a Gentile, to whom some of the basic transgressions applied with greater stringency, incurred the death penalty for causing the loss of the fetus (Sanh. 57b).”

Both of which works were composed within Hellenised Judaism. I suppose you are aware of the influence of Hellenism [and indeed other cultures] upon Second Temple Judaism?

From Walter T Wilson’s The Sentences of Pseudo-Phocylides:

“Our poem, then, despite its pretensions, is an example of classicizing, not classical, literature, entailing as such the transformative impersonation of a great author from the classical past. In its basic profile, the Sentences is consistent with other Jewish reimaginings of this past, in which Greek poets find their inspiration in Jewish sources. Pseudo-Phocylides “placed these sentences in the mouth of a Greek thinker who lived centuries earlier in order to show that already in ancient times the wisdom of the Greeks was influenced by the spirit of Moses, with the result that Jewish Torah and Greek ethics were thoroughly in agreement”.

[You might also like to look up Philo of Alexandria’s On the Life of Moses]

Hmm... I note there are no quotes from these works. Presumably you could not find any online.

Were you actually in possession of these texts a few paragraphs [or short quotes with page references] could easily have been supplied.

The same with this one.

Step right up ladies and gentlemen and children of all ages! Be the first to see the notorious Hypatius Alexandrian, otherwise known as the "Flapping Loon."

Watch as her fool-hearty ignorant declaration that "there is nothing in Judaism condemning abortion" gets wholly eviscerated by not one, two, or even three - but FOUR -- that's right folks -- FOUR ancient sources. See how they straight out, undeniable refute her claim as they, under no uncertain terms, condemn abortion.

Then, before your very eyes you'll will witness as The Flapping Loon begins her dance. Each wing begins flapping in an agitated manner as she seeks to wave off the obviously upsetting terminal rebuttal to her earlier nonsensical squalling. Notice as she frantically grasps at pitifully feeble (ir)rationalizations for dismissing the evidence spotlighting her error.

If we're lucky we'll see her spin out of control in a flurry or erratic questioning and attempts at nitpicking in hopes of sowing enough confusion to conceal yet another screw-up or even make some bizarre assertion of "victory" or something equally strange.

It is an act that the Flapping Loon repeats again and again. Every time she is shown to be clearly wrong.

Btw, I wouldn't recommend books that I wasn't 100% certain represented what I said they did. But just to assay your delusions that I simply made them up or am not familiar with them, here is a taste from one I happen to have

From page 37 of Abortion and the Early Church: Christian, Jewish and Pagan Attitudes in the Greco-Roman World by Michael Gorman, speaking to the testimony provided by the Sibylline Oracles:

A similar blanket condemnation of abortion is found in a contemporary work of a different sort, the Sibylline Oracles. The Oracles are an example of first- and second-century B.C. apocalyptic literature. The section of book 2 on the punishment of the wicked includes women who abort or expose their children:

Having burdens in the womb [they]
      Produce abortions; and their offspring cast
      Unlawfully away...

These women will suffer the wrath of God along with sorcerers (who dispense, among other things, abortifacients). Also included in his wrath are adulterers, thieves, the impure, and oppressors of the poor and of widows. Again, the writer has no interest in legal fine points but is concerned only with the fundamental immorality of abortion.

Face it. Your claim that Judaism and the Jews say nothing condemning abortion is utter hogswallop.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Btw, I wouldn't recommend books that I wasn't 100% certain represented what I said they did.
        Provide some citations then.

But just to assay your delusions that I simply made them up or am not familiar with them, here is a taste from one I happen to have
        Ooh did I hit a nerve?

Originally posted by rogue06;n1265952From page 37 of [I
        Abortion and the Early Church: Christian, Jewish and Pagan Attitudes in the Greco-Roman World[/I] by Michael Gorman, speaking to the testimony provided by the Sibylline Oracles:

A similar blanket condemnation of abortion is found in a contemporary work of a different sort, the Sibylline Oracles. The Oracles are an example of first- and second-century B.C. apocalyptic literature. The section of book 2 on the punishment of the wicked includes women who abort or expose their children:

Unlawfully away...

These women will suffer the wrath of God along with sorcerers (who dispense, among other things, abortifacients). Also included in his wrath are adulterers, thieves, the impure, and oppressors of the poor and of widows. Again, the writer has no interest in legal fine points but is concerned only with the fundamental immorality of abortion.

Again as noted this is Hellenised Judaism.

What about the rest?

As to my comments on abortion and Judaism, I'll take Rabbi Neuberger over rogue06 every time.
        Last edited by Hypatia_Alexandria; 05-12-2021, 08:43 PM.
        "It ain't necessarily so
        To read in the Bible
        It ain't necessarily so
        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Provide some citations then.

Ooh did I hit a nerve?

Again as noted this is Hellenised Judaism.

What about the rest?

As to my comments on abortion and Judaism, I'll take Rabbi Neuberger over rogue06 every time.
          You don't have to take my word for it. You can take the word of any or all of the following:
          • the author of I Enoch
          • Flavius Josephus
          • the author of the Sibylline Oracles
          • the author of the Sentences of Pseudo-Phocylides
          • David Michael Feldman, author of Birth Control in Jewish Law: Marital Relations, Contraception, and Abortion as Set Forth in the Classic Texts of Jewish Law
          • Michael Gorman, author of Abortion and the Early Church: Christian, Jewish and Pagan Attitudes in the Greco-Roman World
          • Paul Copan, author of Is God a Moral Monster?

I could add Philo of Alexandria as well since Gorman delves into his view concerning abortion as well, but the above more than suffices to demonstrate your absurd claim that "there is nothing in Judaism condemning abortion" is balderdash.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

When a person is in a coma they are not "viable outside the womb" without being hooked up to numerous machines and devices. And those brainwaves that appear in the first trimester are more active than many of those in deep comas.

I guess, according to you and your ilk that makes people in comas less than fully human and we can simply dispose of them at our leisure.
            False equivalence. One cannot validly compare an unformed, non-viable first-trimester fetus with a sick or injured person.

And if Roe is supported by two-thirds of the American public then why do polls find that so many Americans want to see increased restrictions
            The new survey by Pew Research Center, conducted July 22-August 4 among 4,175 adults, also finds little support for overturning Roe v. Wade, the landmark Supreme Court decision that established a woman’s right to an abortion. Seven-in-ten say they do not want to see the Roe v. Wade decision completely overturned; 28% say they would like to see the Supreme Court completely overturn the 1973 decision.

https://www.pewresearch.org/politics...ng-roe-v-wade/

Really? Then why are we witnessing with our own eyes what you so desperately want to sweep under the rug? New York was, IIRC, the first state that legalized aborting a baby right up to the moment of birth.
            Nevertheless, despite your hysteria, late-term abortions are very rare. In 2015 only 1.3%) happened on or after 21 weeks of pregnancy, according to the CDC. The vast majority (91%) of abortions take place at or before 13 weeks of pregnancy..

I guess this means that if someone is sick or injured and a doctor assumes that they won't survive but in fact does then that doctor shouldn't be burdened with helping to keep them alive but should be free to refuse all treatment and even food and water so that they will finally die. :
            See above.
            Last edited by Tassman; 05-12-2021, 11:51 PM.
            “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
              False equivalence. One cannot validly compare an unformed, non-viable first-trimester fetus with a sick or injured person.
              Attempt at hand waving. Some of them are less "viable" than the unborn baby having less brain activity and/or a heart that won't beat on its own.

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
              The new survey by Pew Research Center, conducted July 22-August 4 among 4,175 adults, also finds little support for overturning Roe v. Wade, the landmark Supreme Court decision that established a woman’s right to an abortion. Seven-in-ten say they do not want to see the Roe v. Wade decision completely overturned; 28% say they would like to see the Supreme Court completely overturn the 1973 decision.
              You hide behind statements like "not want[ing] to see the Roe v. Wade decision completely overturned" so that you can ignore that a majority want to see increased restrictions. Gallup even found that the majority of those who say they support Roe v. Wade want more restrictions placed on abortion.

Meanwhile the left keeps moving toward allowing abortions right up to the moment of birth like they did in New York -- or are you still contending this isn't true? That it is a "fallacy"?

Nevertheless, despite your hysteria, late-term abortions are very rare.
              What a freaking hypocrite. The left is constantly demanding action based upon the concept that if it'll even just save one life.

And one of the reasons that late term abortions are rare is because nearly every state, if not all of them, prohibited or greatly restricted them. But thanks to the ghouls on the left, more jurisdictions are joining New York and celebrating changing the laws to allow for butchering babies right up to the moment of birth.

You must be so proud.

In 2015 only 1.3%) happened on or after 21 weeks of pregnancy, according to the CDC.
              Even if we go with your cherry-picked year (more current statistics are available) and stick with just 1%, that is something like the death of 6400 lives. The death of 6400 totally innocent lives of people who have literally never harmed anyone.

Comment

Step right up ladies and gentlemen and children of all ages! Be the first to see the notorious Hypatius Alexandrian, otherwise known as the "Flapping Loon."

Watch as her fool-hearty ignorant declaration that "there is nothing in Judaism condemning abortion" gets wholly eviscerated by not one, two, or even three - but FOUR -- that's right folks -- FOUR ancient sources. See how they straight out, undeniable refute her claim as they, under no uncertain terms, condemn abortion.

Then, before your very eyes you'll will witness as The Flapping Loon begins her dance. Each wing begins flapping in an agitated manner as she seeks to wave off the obviously upsetting terminal rebuttal to her earlier nonsensical squalling. Notice as she frantically grasps at pitifully feeble (ir)rationalizations for dismissing the evidence spotlighting her error.

If we're lucky we'll see her spin out of control in a flurry or erratic questioning and attempts at nitpicking in hopes of sowing enough confusion to conceal yet another screw-up or even make some bizarre assertion of "victory" or something equally strange.

It is an act that the Flapping Loon repeats again and again. Every time she is shown to be clearly wrong.

Btw, I wouldn't recommend books that I wasn't 100% certain represented what I said they did. But just to assay your delusions that I simply made them up or am not familiar with them, here is a taste from one I happen to have

From page 37 of Abortion and the Early Church: Christian, Jewish and Pagan Attitudes in the Greco-Roman World by Michael Gorman, speaking to the testimony provided by the Sibylline Oracles:

Unlawfully away...

Face it. Your claim that Judaism and the Jews say nothing condemning abortion is utter hogswallop.

But rogue! Your sources are not REAL Judaism! No True Jewish Document™ would abolish abortion!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post

But rogue! Your sources are not REAL Judaism! No True Jewish Document™ would abolish abortion!
                  She actually seeks to dismiss them because they come from the Hellenistic period

But she did let my archaic use of "assay" slip through without comment so maybe their is a glimmer of hope after all.

Comment

You don't have to take my word for it. You can take the word of any or all of the following:
                    • the author of I Enoch
                    • Flavius Josephus
                    • the author of the Sibylline Oracles
                    • the author of the Sentences of Pseudo-Phocylides
                    • David Michael Feldman, author of Birth Control in Jewish Law: Marital Relations, Contraception, and Abortion as Set Forth in the Classic Texts of Jewish Law
                    • Michael Gorman, author of Abortion and the Early Church: Christian, Jewish and Pagan Attitudes in the Greco-Roman World
                    • Paul Copan, author of Is God a Moral Monster?

I could add Philo of Alexandria as well since Gorman delves into his view concerning abortion as well, but the above more than suffices to demonstrate your absurd claim that "there is nothing in Judaism condemning abortion" is balderdash.

No my comment is not "balderdash". There is nothing to be found in the Hebrew bible that specifically and categorically condemns abortion, unlike, for example adultery or perjury.

What we are discussing is opinion. And in any religion [especially Judaism] a wide variety of opinion is available.

In your own faith the views on [for example female clergy] will differ widely between a conservative Catholic and a liberal Lutheran; likewise on gay clergy where the views of a conservative evangelical will clash with those of a liberal Episcopalian. Which of those individuals holds the “correct” view on either issue? And what about all the other shades of opinion found on both sides of each issue?

I do not think you actually read what I wrote. The verse in Josephus is open to interpretation and nor do I consider a verse from the Jewish Apocrypha a valid justification for demonstrating an anti-abortion stance within the religion anymore than verse IV from the Greek text A of the Infancy Gospel of Thomas should be taken as a valid representation of the Christ as a child. In that verse Jesus kills another child because the child bumped into him. As for Philo of Alexandria he associated abortion with infanticide. And of course this was [again] a Hellenised Jew expressing his opinion.

Even your own cited David M Feldman wrote in a paper for The Committee on Jewish Law and Standards of the Rabbinical Assembly in 1983:

Implicit in the Mishnah above is the teaching that the rights of the fetus are secondary to the rights of the mother all the way up until the moment of birth. This principle is obscured by the current phrase, "right to life." In the context of abortion questions, the issue is not the right to life, which is very clear in Jewish law, but the right to be born, which is not as clear. The right to be born is relative; the right to life for existing persons is absolute. "Life" may begin before birth, but it is not the life of a human person; animal life, plant life or even pre-human life are not the same as human life. Rabbinic law has determined that human life begins with birth. This is neither a medical nor a court judgment, but a metaphysical one. In the Jewish system, human life in this sense begins with birth. Of course, potential life already partakes of the potential sacredness of actual life, since the latter can have its inception only through the former.”[My emphasis]

Tomas J Silber writing in a 1980 paper entitled “Abortion: A Jewish View” and published in Journal of Religion and Health noted that “The law of homicide in the Torah refers to nefesh adam: any living man. This excludes the fetus in the womb which is law nefesh hu (not a person) until it is born. The basis for denying capital crime status to feticide in Jewish law is scriptural.” [My emphasis]

And this likewise from the National Council of Jewish Women https://www.ncjw.org/wp-content/uplo...tion-FINAL.pdf which includes this:

According to Jewish law, is abortion health care? Yes, Jewish sources explicitly state that abortion is not only permitted but is required should the pregnancy endanger the life or health of the pregnant individual. Furthermore, “health” is commonly interpreted to encompass psychological health as well as physical health.

Likewise in an even earlier paper [1965] “Jewish Views on Abortion” 17 W. Res. L. Rev. 480 (1965) Rabbi Immanuel Jakobvits explains the confusion between the Jewish interpretation and that of the Christians. He notes that "The legislation of the Bible makes only one reference to our subject, and this is by implication: And if men strive together, and hurt a woman with child, so that her fruit depart, and yet no harm follow, he shall be surely fined, according as the woman's husband shall lay upon him; and he shall pay as the judges determine. But if any harm follow, then shalt thou give life for life.

(a) The Jewish Interpretation.-This crucial passage, by one of the most curious twists of literary fortunes, marks the parting of the ways between the Jewish and Christian rulings on abortion. According to the Jewish interpretation, if "no harm follow" the "hurt" to the woman resulting in the loss of her fruit refers to the survival of the woman following her miscarriage; in that case there is no capital guilt involved, and the attacker is merely liable to pay compensation for the loss of her fruit. "But if any harm follow," i.e., if the woman is fatally injured, then the man responsible for her death has to "give life for life"; in that event the capital charge of murder exempts him from any monetary liability for the aborted fruit.' This interpretation is also borne out by the rabbinical exegesis of the verse defining the law of murder: "He that smiteth a man, so that he dieth, shall surely be put to death.. ."' which the Rabbis construed to mean "a man, but not a fetus
                    The Christian Interpretation.-The Christian tradition disputing this view goes back to a mistranslation in the Septuagint. There, the Hebrew for "no harm follow" was replaced by the Greek for "[her child be born] imperfectly formed." This interpretation, distinguishing between an unformed and a formed fetus and branding the killing of the latter as murder, was accepted by Tertullian, who was ignorant of Hebrew, and by later church fathers. The distinction was subsequently embodied in canon law as well as in Justinian Law”

Now of course there will be great disagreement on the issue of abortion among lay Jews and rabbis.

However, the textual evidence from the Jewish scriptures does not specifically forbid or condemn abortion, and is primarily concerned with the mother.

The whole issue is not nearly as simple as you would like to present it.

"It ain't necessarily so
                    To read in the Bible
                    It ain't necessarily so
                    ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

She actually seeks to dismiss them because they come from the Hellenistic period

But she did let my archaic use of "assay" slip through without comment so maybe their is a glimmer of hope after all.
                      Oh, spare us.

Why does the religious right always come across as a scam regarding abortion – like some sort of religious Ponzi Scheme? The sanctimonious hypocrisy knows no bounds. This ‘anguish’ for the trillions of innocent prenatal “babies” being brutally slaughtered in the womb by wicked leftists is of recent origin.

“According to the Christian’s “Holy Bible,” and the unerring word of the Christian’s almighty god, there is no “living being” until it takes “the breath of life.” That concept is repeated throughout the Christian bible.
                      “The Southern Baptist Convention’s president at the time of the Roe ruling, Dallas First Baptist Church preacher W. A. Criswell, celebrated the 1973 Roe v. Wade ruling by taking the time to write that he was pleased.

“I have always felt that it was only after a child was born and had a life separate from its mother that it became an individual person, and it has always, therefore, seemed to me that what is best for the mother and for the future should be allowed.””.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2019/6/8/1863445/-When-the-religious-right-was-pro-choice-evangelicals-applauded-Roe-v-Wade

AND:

“Jewish law does not share the belief common among abortion opponents that life begins at conception, nor does it legally consider the fetus to be a full person deserving of protections equal those accorded to human beings. In Jewish law, a fetus attains the status of a full person only at birth”.

https://www.myjewishlearning.com/article/abortion-in-jewish-thought/

“He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post

Oh, spare us.

Why does the religious right always come across as a scam regarding abortion – like some sort of religious Ponzi Scheme? The sanctimonious hypocrisy knows no bounds. This ‘anguish’ for the trillions of innocent prenatal “babies” being brutally slaughtered in the womb by wicked leftists is of recent origin.

“According to the Christian’s “Holy Bible,” and the unerring word of the Christian’s almighty god, there is no “living being” until it takes “the breath of life.” That concept is repeated throughout the Christian bible.
                        “The Southern Baptist Convention’s president at the time of the Roe ruling, Dallas First Baptist Church preacher W. A. Criswell, celebrated the 1973 Roe v. Wade ruling by taking the time to write that he was pleased.

“I have always felt that it was only after a child was born and had a life separate from its mother that it became an individual person, and it has always, therefore, seemed to me that what is best for the mother and for the future should be allowed.””.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2019/6/8/1863445/-When-the-religious-right-was-pro-choice-evangelicals-applauded-Roe-v-Wade

AND:

“Jewish law does not share the belief common among abortion opponents that life begins at conception, nor does it legally consider the fetus to be a full person deserving of protections equal those accorded to human beings. In Jewish law, a fetus attains the status of a full person only at birth”.

https://www.myjewishlearning.com/article/abortion-in-jewish-thought/

Oh I missed that. Some of them do seem rather partial to having online chats with one another about me!

I am sure you knew about this - but here is a link [for information] anyway! https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...origins-107133
                        "It ain't necessarily so
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

That remark rather amusingly demonstrates just how little you know about the impact of Hellenism on Judaism.

"It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

No my comment is not "balderdash". There is nothing to be found in the Hebrew bible that specifically and categorically condemns abortion, unlike, for example adultery or perjury.
                            Reduced to a desperate attempt to save face H_A frantically moves the goal posts clear out of the stadium
                            Your original ignorance-fueled claptrap was "there is nothing in Judaism condemning abortion" and now we can see you clearly changing it to "There is nothing to be found in the Hebrew bible that specifically and categorically condemns abortion."

Just the sort of dishonest disingenuousness we have all come to expect from you

Moreover, Jesus never "specifically and categorically condemns" things like kidnapping or bestiality either. I guess in your warped view that indicates he was either ambivalent toward such acts if not okay with them.

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
                            What we are discussing is opinion. And in any religion [especially Judaism] a wide variety of opinion is available.
                            Great. Show me an "opinion" where ancient Jews thought that abortion was a swell idea.

It just seems funny how all of the "opinions" likens it it to murder and such. I'm sure it's just a coincidence.

In your own faith the views on [for example female clergy] will differ widely between a conservative Catholic and a liberal Lutheran; likewise on gay clergy where the views of a conservative evangelical will clash with those of a liberal Episcopalian. Which of those individuals holds the “correct” view on either issue? And what about all the other shades of opinion found on both sides of each issue?
                            Instead of trying to distract attention away from your failure wouldn't you be better served by finding an "opinion" that shows that supports your contention? You know one saying that abortion is perfectly acceptable. I wish you luck considering that this overwhelming anti-abortion sentiment of the Jews carried over into Christianity and we can see it being condemned over and over just like the Jews did.

Just sayin.

I do not think you actually read what I wrote. The verse in Josephus is open to interpretation and nor do I consider a verse from the Jewish Apocrypha a valid justification for demonstrating an anti-abortion stance within the religion anymore than verse IV from the Greek text A of the Infancy Gospel of Thomas should be taken as a valid representation of the Christ as a child. In that verse Jesus kills another child because the child bumped into him. As for Philo of Alexandria he associated abortion with infanticide. And of course this was [again] a Hellenised Jew expressing his opinion.

"The law moreover enjoins us to bring up all our offspring: and forbids women to cause abortion of what is begotten; or to destroy it afterward. And if any woman appears to have so done, she will be a murderer of her child; by destroying a living creature, and diminishing human kind."

Please regale us with your interpretation of what Josephus wrote that shows it isn't explicitly condemning abortion.

And the apocryphal sources serve more than adequately to illustrate how Jews felt about abortion. If it was just one source you might get away with hand waving it off as "opinion" but given it is multiple sources, apparently originating from different segments of Judaism (it is, for instance, highly unlikely that the school of thought that produced Enoch also produced the Sibylline Oracles).

Oh, and I guess according to H_A, Hellenized Jews aren't "True Jews"™

Even your own cited David M Feldman wrote in a paper for The Committee on Jewish Law and Standards of the Rabbinical Assembly in 1983:[/FONT]

Implicit in the Mishnah above is the teaching that the rights of the fetus are secondary to the rights of the mother all the way up until the moment of birth. This principle is obscured by the current phrase, "right to life." In the context of abortion questions, the issue is not the right to life, which is very clear in Jewish law, but the right to be born, which is not as clear. The right to be born is relative; the right to life for existing persons is absolute. "Life" may begin before birth, but it is not the life of a human person; animal life, plant life or even pre-human life are not the same as human life. Rabbinic law has determined that human life begins with birth. This is neither a medical nor a court judgment, but a metaphysical one. In the Jewish system, human life in this sense begins with birth. Of course, potential life already partakes of the potential sacredness of actual life, since the latter can have its inception only through the former.”[/I][My emphasis]
                            And this supports your belief that abortion was an accepted practice, how?

In the section Theories of Ensoulment In Judaism from Feldman's later work

Source: Birth Control in Jewish Law: Marital Relations, Contraception, and Abortion as Set Forth in the Classic Texts of Jewish Law

To begin with, the moment of soul-infusion of the embryo should, it would seem, be of similar importance for the morality of abortion in Jewish law. The extent to which this is or is not so can be gauged from the following examination of the question in the rabbinic system.

A dialogue between the Roman Emperor Antoninus and Rabbi [Judah, compiler of the Mishnah, known simply as "Rabbi"] is recorded in the Talmud:

Antoninus said to Rabbi: "From when is the soul (n'shamah) endowed in man, from the time of conception or from the time of [the embryo's] formation?" Rabbi replied: "From the time of formation." The emperor demurred: "Can meat remain three days without salt and not putrefy? You must concede that the soul enters at conception." Rabbi [later] said, "Antoninus taught me this, and Scripture supports him, as it is said (Job 10:12): 'and Thy visitation hath preserved my spirit (ruhi).'"

"Visitation" being identified with "ensoulment," the view of Rabbi thus teaches entry of the soul into the body at the very beginning of gestation, at the time of conception. This conclusion is affirmed in the parallel Midrashic version of the dialogue, except that here Rabbi's original view, before his concession to Antoninus, placed ensoulment even later than "formation"--at the time of birth itself:

". . . From when is the soul endowed in man; from the time he leaves his mother's womb or from before that time?" Rabbi replied: "From the time he leaves his mother's womb." [Antoninus demurred, etc., and Rabbi agreed: from the time of conception.]

The bearing of these passages on the question of abortion has been debated among modern scholars. Julius Preuss declared at the beginning of this century that such theoretical musings have no relationship to the Talmud's attitude towards the juristic problem of foeticide. Prof. V. Aptowitzer disputes him; Rabbi's juristic decision that the foetus is to be regarded as "part of the mother" is, he claims, a consequences of Rabbi's (original) theological view that the soul enters at a later stage. He further argues for the greater authenticity of the Midrashic version and, accordingly, holds that Rabbi's original view, taken from the Stoics, was that the soul enters at birth. R. Immanuel Jakobovitz discounts the essential relationship, arguing correctly that there is no basis in the Talmud for a connection between views of ensoulment and the legal status of the embryo. W. Hirsch of London, in his recent volume on rabbinic concepts of the soul, rejects Aptowitzer's second point, that of the Midrashic version's relative authenticity. Rabbi, he feels, could never have believed that ensoulment takes place as late as birth. To believe so would have placed him at odds with the various Aggadic teachings about "life" in the embryo: that Jacob and Esau "struggled" with different inclinations in Rebecca's womb; that the child is instructed in Torah and adjured to be righteous before leaving his mother's womb, etc.

© Copyright Original Source

Tomas J Silber writing in a 1980 paper entitled “Abortion: A Jewish View” and published in Journal of Religion and Health noted that “The law of homicide in the Torah refers to nefesh adam: any living man. This excludes the fetus in the womb which is law nefesh hu (not a person) until it is born. The basis for denying capital crime status to feticide in Jewish law is scriptural.” [My emphasis]
                            My God woman, can you not write a single sentence without having to put font and color codes around nearly every word? You literally ended that bit with 12 different coding instructions!

And again, what is conspicuous by its absence is anything indicating that abortion was acceptable to the early Jews.

And this likewise from the National Council of Jewish Women
                            Well, now there's a scholarly source. I believe at this point you'd be demanding that I show their credentials as historians if I had cited them.

Hypocrite.

Likewise in an even earlier paper [1965] “Jewish Views on Abortion” 17 W. Res. L. Rev. 480 (1965) Rabbi Immanuel Jakobvits explains the confusion between the Jewish interpretation and that of the Christians. He notes that "The legislation of the Bible makes only one reference to our subject, and this is by implication: And if men strive together, and hurt a woman with child, so that her fruit depart, and yet no harm follow, he shall be surely fined, according as the woman's husband shall lay upon him; and he shall pay as the judges determine. But if any harm follow, then shalt thou give life for life.[/FONT]
                            Feldman covers Jakobvits' views and interestingly notes that he holds that "there is no basis in the Talmud for a connection between views of ensoulment and the legal status of the embryo," which kind of kicks the legs out from your attempts here.

Okay. I gotta stop here. It's like trying to translate Sanskrit[1] what with all these superfluous code instructions every couple of words.

Let me know when you can write like a normal person

1. and no, I'm not saying I read Sanskrit.
                            Last edited by rogue06; 05-14-2021, 07:47 AM.

Comment

That remark rather amusingly demonstrates just how little you know about the impact of Hellenism on Judaism.
                              Likewise you could hand wave off the views of the ancient Hebrews because of the impact that the Egyptians and Canaanites had on them.

Likewise you could hand wave off their views roughly half a millennia later because of the impact that the Assyrians had on them.

Likewise you could hand wave off their views a couple of centuries after that because of the impact that the Babylonians had on them.

Etc. etc. etc.

In the view of H_A the only "True Jews"™ are those who agree with her

Now, something I really would like for you to explain.

You seem to want us to believe that Hellenism impacted the Jews beliefs views on abortion. Apparently, you believe they must have made them less accepting of it -- although you offer not a scrap of support for this speculation. But, correct me if I'm wrong here, weren't the ancient Greeks pretty tolerant of abortion? That it was largely accepted. So if Hellenism was influencing Judaism on this matter, shouldn't that have influenced them to be more accepting of it? Shouldn't all those sources I cited be telling us abortion is okay?

Comment

• Hypatia, this is what your text looks like when someone tries to respond to you:

hypatiacode.jpg

Please stop using Word or whatever word processor you are using. Just use something like notepad.

Comment