Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Richard Dawkins stripped of 1996 Humanist of the Year Award...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post

What do you mean the Christians “banded together to stop slavery”? The whole of society was a Christian majority in and of itself. And it was THIS society that implemented and maintained slavery for several centuries - there were no anti-slavery Christians banding together then. It only changed as social values evolved and changed.
    That makes no sense. You say that the majority of society was Christian - if that is the case then it was Christian societies in the west that ended slavery. It was Christians who lead the way in changing those social mores. And I might add, based on Christian principles. Again Tass, remember according to both the OT and NT kidnapping (man stealing) was a sin - and slavery in most of the west was based on man stealing.

Last edited by seer; 05-08-2021, 04:41 AM.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

The World Health Organization is referring to terminations of pregnancies, NOT “murder” – the emotive spin is yours alone. And it’s inapplicable in that the vast majority of abortions occur during the first trimester – i.e., before the fetus has developed an effectively functioning brain and is a non-viable entity outside the womb.
      Sorry Tass, if killing our own offspring by the truck load is not a moral evil then nothing is. It is funny how you jump on the bandwagon of every popular social change.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

What do you mean the Christians “banded together to stop slavery”? The whole of society was a Christian majority in and of itself. And it was THIS society that implemented and maintained slavery for several centuries - there were no anti-slavery Christians banding together then. It only changed as social values evolved and changed.
        Funny how the left argues that society wasn't Christian except when it comes to slavery.

Nevertheless, it was Christians who put an end to slavery. If that weren't the case you'd have been posting the evidence and crowing about it. In the Christian west slavery has been eliminated except when the government gets too secular and leftwing, then you get things like gulags and re-education camps that are nothing but slave labor forces.

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
        The World Health Organization is referring to terminations of pregnancies, NOT “murder” – the emotive spin is yours alone. And it’s inapplicable in that the vast majority of abortions occur during the first trimester – i.e., before the fetus has developed an effectively functioning brain and is a non-viable entity outside the womb.
        Meanwhile the left has been pushing hard for abortions right up to the moment of birth (like they did in New York, celebrating it by lighting up bridges and buildings in pink), and some, like the clown in Virginia, even wants "after-birth abortions." And I'm sure they'll find doctors to tell us that newborns aren't "really" fully human either, after all the Nazis even found doctors to conduct horrific experiments on people, so that should be a snap.

Future societies will undoubtedly look back at this barbarity and wince while thanking God that they're so much more advanced than that.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post

That makes no sense. You say that the majority of society was Christian - if that is the case then it was Christian societies in the west that ended slavery. It was Christians who lead the way in changing those social mores. And I might add, based on Christian principles. Again Tass, remember according to both the OT and NT kidnapping (man stealing) was a sin - and slavery in most of the west was based on man stealing.
          It was the Christian societies of the West that embarked on centuries of systematic slavery for centuries AND maintained racial discrimination long after. They were the accepted social values of the day. It wasn’t until social values evolved and changed in those very same societies that slavery was recognized as the evil it undoubtedly is.
          “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Sorry Tass, if killing our own offspring by the truck load is not a moral evil then nothing is..
            No-one is killing their “own offspring by the truck load”. Interesting that you resort to dishonest hyperbole in an attempt to make your “moral” point.

“He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              Funny how the left argues that society wasn't Christian except when it comes to slavery.
              It is a matter of fact that throughout American history Christianity has been a dominant social force, including during the era of slavery and enforcement of Jim Crow Laws. E.g.: “1740, an estimated 75 to 80 percent of the population attended churches, which were being built at a headlong pace. Toward mid-century the country experienced its first major religious revival”. https://www.loc.gov/exhibits/religion/rel02.html

Nevertheless, it was Christians who put an end to slavery. If that weren't the case you'd have been posting the evidence and crowing about it. In the Christian west slavery has been eliminated except when the government gets too secular and leftwing, then you get things like gulags and re-education camps that are nothing but slave labor forces.
              Changing social values put an end to slavery – as they have done with regard to every social reform – e.g., the Civil Rights Act of 1964.

Meanwhile the left has been pushing hard for abortions right up to the moment of birth (like they did in New York, celebrating it by lighting up bridges and buildings in pink), and some, like the clown in Virginia, even wants "after-birth abortions." And I'm sure they'll find doctors to tell us that newborns aren't "really" fully human either, after all the Nazis even found doctors to conduct horrific experiments on people, so that should be a snap.
              The fact remains that the vast majority of women (over 90%) seeking abortions do so in the first trimester and the provisions and limitations of Roe v Wade are widely accepted by the majority of the population.

Comment

It was the Christian societies of the West that embarked on centuries of systematic slavery for centuries AND maintained racial discrimination long after. They were the accepted social values of the day. It wasn’t until social values evolved and changed in those very same societies that slavery was recognized as the evil it undoubtedly is.
                Actually, it was humanity as a whole that "embarked on centuries of systematic slavery for centuries AND maintained racial discrimination long after" as a look at any halfway decent history book could show you. It was going on for thousands of years prior to Christ and was going on in areas that Christianity had no influence.

What is also indisputable is that in the Christian-dominated areas is where, for the first time in human history that the practice of slavery was abolished and has largely been that way for a century and a half. And that in the areas that slavery still exists in this world Christianity has little to no influence such as in the lands where Islam predominates and in the places where the secular hard left rules (with their slave labor camps and gulags).

So in case you are still incapable of figuring it out, it was for the most part Christians who were leading the way in changing society's views towards these sort of things. So it wasn't, as you imagine, society changing and Christianity tagging along, but rather it was Christians gradually changing society's morals and values.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Yet it was those same Christian societies that ended slavery, not based on evolving social standards, but on Biblical principles. In the past I have linked these Abolitionists and their Biblical reasoning. The fact is Tass, after years of debating with you it is clear that you have no ethical north star. You are moral putty in the hands of the prevailing zeitgeist. If Islam took the West or the World you would jump on the Sharia law bandwagon as the new evolving standards...
                  Last edited by seer; 05-09-2021, 06:57 AM.

Comment

No-one is killing their “own offspring by the truck load”. Interesting that you resort to dishonest hyperbole in an attempt to make your “moral” point.
                    60 million dead in the US alone since Roe isn't a truck load - correct - it is way, way more. In actual numbers of dead humans the Holocaust pales in comparison.

Comment

• If a fetus is a "life", then it must have a spirit or soul.

Which, in Christian teachings, to be absent of the body is to be present with the Lord.

Where are these billions of lives (spirits) going after they're aborted?

The Bible only speaks of "few entering".

Comment

Yet it was those same Christian societies that ended slavery, not based on evolving social standards, but on Biblical principles. In the past I have linked these Abolitionists and their Biblical reasoning. The fact is Tass, after years of debating with you it is clear that you have no ethical north star. You are moral putty in the hands of the prevailing zeitgeist. If Islam took the West or the World you would jump on the Sharia law bandwagon as the new evolving standards...
                        If Tas lived in a place where Sharia law prevailed I have no doubt he'd be telling us how morally right and just slavery is.

Comment

• You are moral putty in the hands of the prevailing zeitgeist.-Seer

I can't wait to tell someone that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

More often than not public bathrooms here have cubicles that run floor to ceiling with masonry walls. When you go into the cubicle and lock the door you are, effectively, in a small locked room.

However, I have been in unisex bathrooms [in bars and restaurants] in other countries where the cubicles have had board partition walls that do not reach to ceiling or floor and no one seemed overly bothered. Perchance it is a US or anglophone issue.
                            Most are like this

As you see even new there are gaps, and the older they get the larger they become. And tall people like me can look over the barrier with no difficulty. But you're right, most folks don't care (although some do have problems, look up "blushing kidney syndrome"), but that percentage would certainly change if it were women/girls in the stalls and a bunch of men standing around outside able to get a peek.

Btw, while I'm hardly a prude, it is rather disconcerting to be sitting there and see an eyeball pressed up to a crack in the stall walls watching you poop. In my case it turned out to be a noisy kid.

Comment

So in Paul's mind the sin of having sex with a prostitute is identical to sex within in the confines of Holy Matrimony? Do you seriously believe that?
                              Paul had a downer on sex

Originally posted by seer View Post
                              So he is saying to direct your passion to the marriage bed. Good.
                              Quote me the text where Paul refers positively to passion in marriage and endorses his congregations to engage in passion in their married lives.

"It ain't necessarily so
                              The things that you're liable
                              To read in the Bible
                              It ain't necessarily so
                              ."

Sportin' Life
                              Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
                                Paul had a downer on sex
                                That is not what I asked: In Paul's mind is the sin of having sex with a prostitute is identical to sex within in the confines of Holy Matrimony? Yes or no?

Quote me the text where Paul refers positively to passion in marriage and endorses his congregations to engage in passion in their married lives.
                                Good grief woman, it is on you to prove YOUR claim, that Paul believed passion was unseemly in the confines of Marriage.

Comment