Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Richard Dawkins stripped of 1996 Humanist of the Year Award...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tassman View Post

Does your mockery and sarcasm indicate that society should NOT mandate whatever is practical and reasonable to ensure the comfort and welfare of ALL citizens – including the likes of albinos and LGBT people.
    You mean like letting trans women (men) shower with the girls or play girl sports?
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post

Does your mockery and sarcasm indicate that society should NOT mandate whatever is practical and reasonable to ensure the comfort and welfare of ALL citizens – including the likes of albinos and LGBT people.
      You were the one who was pontificating about

What we should be doing as a caring, society is "mandating" whatever is necessary to ensure maximum possible "accommodations" for ALL citizens - including people with albinism

All I did was show just how impractical and unfeasible your imprudent attempt at virtue signaling was.

We simply can not construct our society around every single difference that everyone has in a country of over 330 million people and if we tried we'd likely end up hindering and impeding as many other people as we helped.

Awhile back there was a popular trend to make everything child friendly where businesses were told they couldn't display Playboy at a magazine rack because children could be in the store. There was even an attempt around here to require grocery stores to keep beer and wine on the top shelf where it would be out of reach of the tykes.

Obviously, the concept crashed in on itself as we realized unrealistic and unworkable this would be. You just can't base society on something like that. And likewise you can't turn everything upside down to make 0.6% of the population feel better about themselves.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

You mean like letting trans women (men) shower with the girls or play girl sports?
        And what Tass calls mockery will likely be "reasonable demands" in five years

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

And likewise you can't turn everything upside down to make 0.6% of the population feel better about themselves.
          A militant minority will always overthrow a silent majority. To what extent though....

That's the question. Because as you say, things begin to implode when they reach their logical conclusions.

It would really be fun for me, for instance, to identify as an 11 year old, and sign up for little league football. Sure, there would be touchdowns and lots of glory, but it would probably be only short lived.
          Last edited by Machinist; 04-28-2021, 06:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Machinist View Post

A militant minority will always overthrow a silent majority. To what extent though....

That's the question. Because as you say, things begin to implode when they reach their logical conclusions.

It would really be fun for me, for instance, to identify as an 11 year old, and sign up for little league football. Sure, there would be touchdowns and lots of glory, but it would probably be only short lived.
            Depending on your age it might only last until the next morning when you wake up aching in places you didn't even know you had

Comment

But is it a fair analogy? Me playing football with 11 year olds? The implications are apparent at once.

Things like gay marriage, and transgender issues are not so apparent, outside of Christian Doctrine.

Comment

Part of me regrets posting this in that I don't know that as a Christian, it's my place to weigh in on intraparty squabbles among atheists.
                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                  We are doing a whole lot of restructuring to accommodate something that 0.6% of the population has. And this is unlike say someone in a wheelchair who literally has their functionality severely curtailed if we don't assist them in ways that don't, I might add, seek to transform the basic structure of society.
                  Can you provide any examples at all of how we are restructuring society or transforming the basic structure of society?

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

With some good-will, trans women and men can be accommodated regarding showers and the various other facilities that ALL people in our society utilize - plus sports. Or perhaps the lack of “good-will” towards those who are different is really the problem here?
                    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      You were the one who was pontificating about

What we should be doing as a caring, society is "mandating" whatever is necessary to ensure maximum possible "accommodations" for ALL citizens - including people with albinism

All I did was show just how impractical and unfeasible your imprudent attempt at virtue signaling was.

We simply can not construct our society around every single difference that everyone has in a country of over 330 million people and if we tried we'd likely end up hindering and impeding as many other people as we helped.
                      What we “construct our society around” is the maximization of human rights for ALL citizens. Admittedly, granting equal rights for minorities has always been controversial among the majority (e.g., there is still some resistance to the Civil Rights Act of 1964)

Awhile back there was a popular trend to make everything child friendly where businesses were told they couldn't display Playboy at a magazine rack because children could be in the store. There was even an attempt around here to require grocery stores to keep beer and wine on the top shelf where it would be out of reach of the tykes.
                      The motivation was good even if the methods were not. This need not be a be a deterrent to trying in the future.

Obviously, the concept crashed in on itself as we realized unrealistic and unworkable this would be. You just can't base society on something like that. And likewise you can't turn everything upside down to make 0.6% of the population feel better about themselves.
                      Why not aspire to “make 0.6% of the population feel better about themselves”? This would not necessarily require turning everything upside down. Social norms have a long history of adjusting to changing social attitudes.
                      “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post

Can you provide any examples at all of how we are restructuring society or transforming the basic structure of society?
                        You could start by taking a look at what is happening to girl's and women's sports.

Comment

• Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post

Men marrying men, and raising children. Women doing likewise with women. Numerous single-parent families. Thus many children - perhaps a majority? - growing up with no father, or no mother, present. That's a substantial change form the not too distant past.
                          ...>>> Witty remark or snarky quote of another poster goes here <<<...

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post

With some good-will, trans women and men can be accommodated regarding showers and the various other facilities that ALL people in our society utilize - plus sports. Or perhaps the lack of “good-will” towards those who are different is really the problem here?
                            I'm not talking about accommodating but boys actually being in the showers with girls. And be clear - do you think it is fair for biological boys to compete in girl's sports.

Biden orders girls’ and women’s sports, restrooms, locker rooms open to males

https://mustreadalaska.com/biden-ord...open-to-males/
                            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post

I'm not talking about accommodating but boys actually being in the showers with girls. And be clear - do you think it is fair for biological boys to compete in girl's sports.

Biden orders girls’ and women’s sports, restrooms, locker rooms open to males

https://mustreadalaska.com/biden-ord...open-to-males/
                              The REAL War on Women.

Comment

• I moved the Lef-handed derail to it's own thread here: https://theologyweb.com/campus/forum...-handed-people

Comment