Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Richard Dawkins stripped of 1996 Humanist of the Year Award...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a long time coming. Ever since elevatorgate (and earlier to those paying attention) he's shown himself to be a product of his time in all ways but his religion.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      People have a right to identify as they choose.

Other people have the right to decide for themselves whether or not to accept your self-designation.
      Suppose we presume that an identity is an inherent right---therefore a nation-state has limits on this right. Gender-identification is just one of many types of identification---naming customs are also identification.
      Should persons have the right to retain/change their designated names upon marriage, adoption, changes in nationality/religion.........etc? (or should govt create rules/laws on the matter?)
      What of changes in cultural identities (Australian of African heritage, Asian American, Christian-European...etc...) or gender-identities (...Bisexual, Asexual, Homosexual, Heterosexual, trans...etc...)
      Are there identity categories that should not be a choice? or all identity categories can be a personal choice as an inherent right?
      if it is an inherent right---should there be rules/obligation regarding such a right---if so, any ideas?
      What role, if any, should a state play in the right to identity?
      Can/should ... a gender-identity neutral system /society exist?

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post

A bunch of people castigating someone for forsaking science in favor of personal prejudice isn't fascism or a cult, it's the normal course of cultural development. Fascism would be codifying that prejudice for the sake of harming those whom one is prejudiced against. A cult would be believing in common falsehoods easily proven wrong by the most basic study.
        We may have to disagree on this but I find the recent attitude among many towards J K Rowling, Germaine Greer, Suzanne Moore, and now [apparently] Richard Dawkins quite reprehensible. There appears to be a vocal percentage [?minority?] among the progressive and/or Left that will countenance no dissent on trans-gender politics.

The expression of a differing opinion concerning such complex issues should be able to expressed without the individual being accused of "hate" speech or transphobia.
        "It ain't necessarily so
        The things that you're liable
        To read in the Bible
        It ain't necessarily so
        ."

Sportin' Life
        Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Racheal Dolezal identifying as Black---

Apparently....Arabs are considered "White" in the U.S. ? (... in 1943 all Arabs and North African were considered "White" by the Federal government)
          This meant that during Jim Crow era ( until 1965?) ---a few African-American muslims (musicians) could pass for "White" and go into white spaces dressed as Arab....I can't find the link---but if anyone is interested will look for it.

Comment

It's a long time coming. Ever since elevatorgate (and earlier to those paying attention) he's shown himself to be a product of his time in all ways but his religion.
            Because as everyone knows anyone older than you are is unmitigatedly, irreversibly evil.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

We may have to disagree on this but I find the recent attitude among many towards J K Rowling, Germaine Greer, Suzanne Moore, and now [apparently] Richard Dawkins quite reprehensible. There appears to be a vocal percentage [?minority?] among the progressive and/or Left that will countenance no dissent on trans-gender politics.

The expression of a differing opinion concerning such complex issues should be able to expressed without the individual being accused of "hate" speech or transphobia.
              It's as much a differing opinion as "people choose to be gay", but worse in that it opposes treatment recommended by medical professionals, so I suppose it's also quite like "vaccines cause autism". Either way, it's not really something up to debate.

Comment

Because as everyone knows anyone older than you are is unmitigatedly, irreversibly evil.
                Societies become more liberal over time. Some learn and grow with society. Others were progressive for their time and have no need to grow.

Comment

It's as much a differing opinion as "people choose to be gay", but worse in that it opposes treatment recommended by medical professionals, so I suppose it's also quite like "vaccines cause autism". Either way, it's not really something up to debate.
                  I am not entirely sure that physicians going along with the wishes of pubescent or prepubescent children who want to undergo hormone therapy because they consider themselves to be the wrong gender is necessarily beneficial.

The simple fact is that a trans man is not a woman. That person [at least at the present level of medical science] cannot menstruate or carry a child. I also agree that there should be some places and spaces where only those born as women should have access.
                  "It ain't necessarily so
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I am not entirely sure that physicians going along with the wishes of pubescent or prepubescent children who want to undergo hormone therapy because they consider themselves to be the wrong gender is necessarily beneficial.
                    We actually agree on something here.

This is the same age that you'll find kids claiming to be a unicorn and the like

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

We actually agree on something here.

This is the same age that you'll find kids claiming to be a unicorn and the like
                      I thought we also agreed in some respects on what we both find humorous.

I am concerned that there is a serious risk that children and young teens are being influenced/affected by social media and peer pressure on this issue and that it may [for many] constitute little more than a fashion fad.
                      "It ain't necessarily so
                      To read in the Bible
                      It ain't necessarily so
                      ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I thought we also agreed in some respects on what we both find humorous.

I am concerned that there is a serious risk that children and young teens are being influenced/affected by social media and peer pressure on this issue and that it may [for many] constitute little more than a fashion fad.
                        That's it. Who are you and what have you done to H_A? You are being far too reasonable here.

Either that or it is time to keep an eye out for these guys

4Horsemen.gif

Comment

That's it. Who are you and what have you done to H_A? You are being far too reasonable here.
                          I consider myself to be a perfectly reasonable correspondent. That you and I do not always agree on issues is, of course, another matter.

"It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Frankly you are right. It is as much of a cult as heaven’s gate. To disagree means to be outcast by the majority. On this issue one is only allowed to accept their dogma and no free thought is allowed. However it was only 8 years ago that a person had to be treated for underlying psychological issues so that they wouldn’t do anything impulsive. So much for that in the us
                            A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                            George Bernard Shaw

Comment

One of the quickest way one can get kicked off of Social Media here in the U.S. is do the sort of things those you listed have done. We haven't experienced anything like this since the age of McCarthyism

Comment

One of the quickest way one can get kicked off of Social Media here in the U.S. is do the sort of things those you listed have done. We haven't experienced anything like this since the age of McCarthyism
                                You are right. This the new “red scare”
                                A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
                                George Bernard Shaw

Comment