Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Moral Realism...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Graded absolutism is a theory of moral absolutism (in Christian ethics) which resolves the objection to absolutism (i.e., in moral conflicts, we are obligated to opposites). Moral absolutism is the ethical view that certain actions are absolutely right or wrong regardless of other contexts such as their consequences or the intentions behind them. Graded absolutism is moral absolutism but qualifies that a moral absolute, like "Do not kill," can be greater or lesser than another moral absolute, like "Do not lie". Also called contextual absolutism or the greater good view, is an alternative to the third alternative view and the lesser evil view, both discussed below, regarding moral conflict resolution." _ Wikipedia

This seems to be the same thing as when you say that " I have said that God's law is subjective to him (I disagree with MM and William Craig on this). But it is universal, authoritative, and absolute."

Like you, I have no problem with God's law being subjective to Himself...that is, His ways or morals are absolute within His own framework being the Self Exist One. All existence is derived from and resolves in Him. In this context, it makes sense that "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things..." - Isaiah

Comment

Originally posted by Machinist View Post
      "Graded absolutism is a theory of moral absolutism (in Christian ethics) which resolves the objection to absolutism (i.e., in moral conflicts, we are obligated to opposites). Moral absolutism is the ethical view that certain actions are absolutely right or wrong regardless of other contexts such as their consequences or the intentions behind them. Graded absolutism is moral absolutism but qualifies that a moral absolute, like "Do not kill," can be greater or lesser than another moral absolute, like "Do not lie". Also called contextual absolutism or the greater good view, is an alternative to the third alternative view and the lesser evil view, both discussed below, regarding moral conflict resolution." _ Wikipedia

This seems to be the same thing as when you say that " I have said that God's law is subjective to him (I disagree with MM and William Craig on this). But it is universal, authoritative, and absolute."

Like you, I have no problem with God's law being subjective to Himself...that is, His ways or morals are absolute within His own framework being the Self Exist One. All existence is derived from and resolves in Him. In this context, it makes sense that "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things..." - Isaiah

I am leery of the greater good idea. It could apply to God since God would be omniscient. He would know the long term end or consequence of any act - good or evil. Our knowledge of future consequences is severely limited. Though there could be an immediate use of graded absolutism. Do you know who Corrie Ten Boom is? Her Dutch family was hiding Jews from the Nazis. When the Germans showed up to their door and asked if any Jews were living there Corrie and her sister lied, the Germans left. But they believed that the lie was a sin, and sincerely repented of that sin. Their attitude was not that it was acceptable to lie to save the Jewish family. I think that is the correct way to look at it. BTW - they were eventually found out - the Jews and her family ended up in concentration camps.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Ok cool. It reminded me of something else.

So what you were saying then, is that God's laws are Absolute, but Subjectively Absolute within the GodHead?

I have no problem with that. Was there an objection?

Comment

Originally posted by Machinist View Post
          Ok cool. It reminded me of something else.

So what you were saying then, is that God's laws are Absolute, but Subjectively Absolute within the GodHead?

I have no problem with that. Was there an objection?
          If God's law is grounded in His immutable nature then they are absolute, universal and subjective to Him.
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment