Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

A Theological Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Theological Question

Can someone be a Christian and simultaneously accept the plausibility of atheism? I have an affinity for atheism, but also an affinity for the Death Burial and Resurrection of Jesus Christ, God Incarnate.

Scripture Verse: Romans 10:13

That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

© Copyright Original Source

The Resurrection of Jesus from the dead is a non-negotiable.

Scripture Verse: 1 Corinthians 15

14And if Christ be not risen, then is our preaching vain, and your faith is also vain. 15Yea, and we are found false witnesses of God; because we have testified of God that he raised up Christ: whom he raised not up, if so be that the dead rise not. 16For if the dead rise not, then is not Christ raised: 17And if Christ be not raised, your faith is vain; ye are yet in your sins. 18Then they also which are fallen asleep in Christ are perished. 19If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable. 20But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept.

© Copyright Original Source

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

No. Christianity and atheism are opposites. I have a no problems with someone looking at the matter and making a decision. Ultimately, you do have to make a choice.
      "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Machinist View Post
        Can someone be a Christian and simultaneously accept the plausibility of atheism? I have an affinity for atheism, but also an affinity for the Death Burial and Resurrection of Jesus Christ, God Incarnate.
        Yes, I think you can be a Christian and believe that atheism has some credibility. Though I wouldn't bet my soul on it.
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Can someone be a Christian and simultaneously accept the plausibility of atheism?
          If you mean can someone accept X position as true and simultaneously accept that ~X has good arguments without being doxastically compelling , probably.

I have an affinity for atheism, but also an affinity for the Death Burial and Resurrection of Jesus Christ, God Incarnate.
          I don't understand what you mean by "affinity" as I don't understand how you have affinity for both.

P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

It's not about what is plausible, but what you choose to do about it. You need to choose Jesus and ask for forgiveness of your sins and follow him as your Lord and Savior.

Having some doubt is just human, you have to choose what you want to believe despite any doubt.

Mark 9:24
            Immediately the boy’s father exclaimed, “I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!”
            Last edited by Sparko; 03-12-2021, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Diogenes View Post

If you mean can someone accept X position as true and simultaneously accept that ~X has good arguments without being doxastically compelling , probably.

I don't understand what you mean by "affinity" as I don't understand how you have affinity for both.
              I don't know. And i've never heard the term Doxastic before, but I just looked that up and I think it may shed some light here. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

Yes, I think you can be a Christian and believe that atheism has some credibility. Though I wouldn't bet my soul on it.
                It's not just some, but rather I would say closer to 50/50.It's looks perfectly ambiguous.

Comment

It's not just some, but rather I would say closer to 50/50.It's looks perfectly ambiguous.
                  Then we are back to Pascal's wager. If it really is a toss up, why not choose faith, you have nothing to lose but everything to gain.
                  Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

Then we are back to Pascal's wager. If it really is a toss up, why not choose faith, you have nothing to lose but everything to gain.
                    Yeah I do. As far as I can tell I do.

Comment

Yeah I do. As far as I can tell I do.
                      I used to hear a crude way of expressing -- "fake it until you make it". The idea behind it is good, but the expression is .. um... I don't like it.

What it's trying to suggest is to 'step into the light' - begin living like a Christian should - get into a Bible believing / Bible preaching church, and ask the Lord to guide you by His Holy Spirit.
                      It's like "taking a step of faith" toward the Lord.

As you open yourself up to the Lord, I believe He will be faithful in drawing you in.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I used to hear a crude way of expressing -- "fake it until you make it". The idea behind it is good, but the expression is .. um... I don't like it.

What it's trying to suggest is to 'step into the light' - begin living like a Christian should - get into a Bible believing / Bible preaching church, and ask the Lord to guide you by His Holy Spirit.
                        It's like "taking a step of faith" toward the Lord.

As you open yourself up to the Lord, I believe He will be faithful in drawing you in.
                        I think that's what i'm doing. Although I haven't really delved into any church group yet. As soon as the restrictions are lifted I was going to try the Episcopalean Church.

Comment

I mean I go to Church but haven't felt like it was the right place to get into. They're some hard core Calvinists and very theological about it. And they're really hyper conservative. I like the people. Really nice. I don't think I vibe with them though.

Comment

I think that's what i'm doing. Although I haven't really delved into any church group yet. As soon as the restrictions are lifted I was going to try the Episcopalean Church.
                            If I might gently suggest a Bible Church or a Baptist Church or.... Episcopalians are good people, I'm sure, but I don't believe you're going to find solid Bible teaching there.

At least, read up on how liberal they have become.

Why is the Episcopal Church near collapse?

Prominent bishops are pulling out. Convention-goers were told headquarters had spent $18 million suing local congregations. Members are leaving at a record rate. This is no longer George Washington’s church – once the largest denomination in the colonies.

The headlines coming out of the Episcopal Church’s annual U.S. convention are stunning — endorsement of cross-dressing clergy, blessing same-sex marriage, the sale of their headquarters since they can’t afford to maintain it.

The American branch of the Church of England, founded when the Vatican balked at permitting King Henry VIII to continue annulling marriages to any wife who failed to bear him sons, is in trouble.

Somehow slipping out of the headlines is a harsh reality that the denomination has been deserted in droves by an angry or ambivalent membership. Six prominent bishops are ready to take their large dioceses out of the American church and align with conservative Anglican groups in Africa and South America.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

If I might gently suggest a Bible Church or a Baptist Church or.... Episcopalians are good people, I'm sure, but I don't believe you're going to find solid Bible teaching there.

At least, read up on how liberal they have become.

Why is the Episcopal Church near collapse?

Prominent bishops are pulling out. Convention-goers were told headquarters had spent $18 million suing local congregations. Members are leaving at a record rate. This is no longer George Washington’s church – once the largest denomination in the colonies.

The headlines coming out of the Episcopal Church’s annual U.S. convention are stunning — endorsement of cross-dressing clergy, blessing same-sex marriage, the sale of their headquarters since they can’t afford to maintain it.

The American branch of the Church of England, founded when the Vatican balked at permitting King Henry VIII to continue annulling marriages to any wife who failed to bear him sons, is in trouble.

Somehow slipping out of the headlines is a harsh reality that the denomination has been deserted in droves by an angry or ambivalent membership. Six prominent bishops are ready to take their large dioceses out of the American church and align with conservative Anglican groups in Africa and South America.
                              Including my thread on the Episcopalian school https://theologyweb.com/campus/forum...ms-mom-and-dad

Comment