Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

A Theological Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

If I might gently suggest a Bible Church or a Baptist Church or.... Episcopalians are good people, I'm sure, but I don't believe you're going to find solid Bible teaching there.

At least, read up on how liberal they have become.

Why is the Episcopal Church near collapse?

Prominent bishops are pulling out. Convention-goers were told headquarters had spent $18 million suing local congregations. Members are leaving at a record rate. This is no longer George Washington’s church – once the largest denomination in the colonies.

The headlines coming out of the Episcopal Church’s annual U.S. convention are stunning — endorsement of cross-dressing clergy, blessing same-sex marriage, the sale of their headquarters since they can’t afford to maintain it.

The American branch of the Church of England, founded when the Vatican balked at permitting King Henry VIII to continue annulling marriages to any wife who failed to bear him sons, is in trouble.

Somehow slipping out of the headlines is a harsh reality that the denomination has been deserted in droves by an angry or ambivalent membership. Six prominent bishops are ready to take their large dioceses out of the American church and align with conservative Anglican groups in Africa and South America.
    There is a certain doxastic milieu of the Baptists that I don't vibe with. Episcapalean is the closest thing to me. Architecture is a thing for me too.

Comment

Originally posted by Machinist View Post
      There is a certain doxastic milieu of the Baptists that I don't vibe with.
      Doxastic? If somebody preaches the Bible as the Word of God, are they "doxastic"?

Episcapalean is the closest thing to me. Architecture is a thing for me too.
      Oooohhhhkayyyyyy.... are you sincerely wanting a relationship with God, or do you wanna just flirt with religion?

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Doxastic? If somebody preaches the Bible as the Word of God, are they "doxastic"?

Oooohhhhkayyyyyy.... are you sincerely wanting a relationship with God, or do you wanna just flirt with religion?
        No. Something about the spires and architecture are a thing for me. I don't know what, I just like it. Maybe just a place to zen out in.

Comment

There is a certain doxastic milieu of the Baptists that I don't vibe with. Episcapalean is the closest thing to me. Architecture is a thing for me too.

If architecture is an important factor in your decision then you might want to take a long hard look at how serious you are about this

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

If I might gently suggest a Bible Church or a Baptist Church or.... Episcopalians are good people, I'm sure, but I don't believe you're going to find solid Bible teaching there.

At least, read up on how liberal they have become.
            If he gravitates towards "high church" he is better off looking towards Rome or the Orthodox Church.
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post

If he gravitates towards "high church" he is better off looking towards Rome or the Orthodox Church.
              I was thinking Coptic.

Comment

I was thinking Coptic.
                Not to many of those around, are there?
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Not to many of those around, are there?
                  I don't know. There's a cool youtube video about a Church in Ethiopia that's on top of a huge skyscraper of a rock outcropping in the desert.

Comment

I was thinking Coptic.
                    Have you looked into the Lutheran church? You'd probably have more leeway with individual belief while having the high church aspect. If it's nearby, the LCMS is the more conservative variant. The ELCA is more liberal.
                    P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

No. Something about the spires and architecture are a thing for me. I don't know what, I just like it. Maybe just a place to zen out in.
                      That would be a good place to take your lunch and sit on a park bench and admire the architecture.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I'd strongly disagree, as they are more about form and symbolism than they are scripture and substance.
                        If he just wants "religion", or "a form of religion without the power thereof", the Roman Catholic Church might be a fit.

And I'll QUICKLY add that the Orthodox Church is NOT in that category of form and symbolism over scripture and substance!

Comment

I'd strongly disagree, as they are more about form and symbolism than they are scripture and substance.
                          If he just wants "religion", or "a form of religion without the power thereof", the Roman Catholic Church might be a fit.

And I'll QUICKLY add that the Orthodox Church is NOT in that category of form and symbolism over scripture and substance!
                          I don't know CP, I know some very devout Catholics.

Comment

Good Morning. I was only teasing about the Coptic Church, and there are no Lutherans in my area. I have been going to a Presbyterian (PCA) Church for the past year and a half. The only other Church in my area that I would be interested in would be the Episcopal. It's mostly Baptist and Methodist around here. I was raised Baptist, a very primitive style church...very poor and lots of illiteracy. My great great grandfather started the church. My dad still goes there.. My mom moved on a few years ago and found another one. This is the Deep Bible Belt South here. Just looking for a new flavor I guess. I was not teasing however about the architecture thing. The Presbyterian church has appreciable architecture in the sanctuary with lots of solid and heavy wooden beams, almost rustic you could say, and it spires upward and I find myself studying the architecture during the sermon sometimes, and especially just after communion when the entire congregation sings the Doxology acapella. It resonates in the in the firmaments of those wooden beams high over head and I love that moment. Yes, it is a feeling, and I love it. In those moments I reflect on Grace and I feel happy. I will miss this Church if I visit the Episcopal Church and decide to start going there. My son goes with me every Sunday too, and he has decided that whatever I do, he wants to stay at the Presbyterian Church. He'll go to his church, i'll go to mine. My Sister and Brother in law have a church in a neighboring county. It's an independent charismatic flavor. I was heavily steeped in that tradition for years as well. I'm in float mode these days. Whatever church I find though, I do want to meet people and become more involved. Oh, and I wanted to mention the pipe organs that the Presbyterian Church has. Built into all the beautiful architecture are these massive organ pipes that I like. The lead pianist here is also amazing. he can create a hallowed ambience with his playing. Sometimes before service, he's up there just noodling around and drop some Jazz or some blend of an old Gospel tune with a modern twist or something like that and just fill the sanctuary with some dang good music. This guy is truly a Jazz Great. I love the communion here especially. I will probably return here every month though to partake in this ritual, because there is something really really special about communion here. I partake in communion with all earnestness. It is the Blood and the Body of God incarnate. And that resonates with me. The outer trappings of music and architecture...those are just preferences.

Comment

I visited a Greek Orthodox Church several times as well. It's interesting. Still a little to far of a drive for me. Now if they had a Russian Orthodox around here?????!!!!!!!Now they got the bling bling! And their Churches look like Disney Land.
                              Last edited by Machinist; 03-13-2021, 06:51 AM.

Comment

I visited a Greek Orthodox Church several times as well. It's interesting. Still a little to far of a drive for me. Now if they had a Russian Orthodox around here?????!!!!!!!Now they got the bling bling! And their Churches look like Disney Land.
                                It's troubling that you'd choose a church based on how "cool" their building was. The early Christians would gather in places like people's homes and catacombs.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment