Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Poor Laws of Moses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post

Amen,

When you go globally, poor in America is probably still richer than poor in the rest of the world.

Not that this excuses us from ministering to the poor.
    Someone in the USA making minimum wage is richer than 86% of the rest of the world.

rich.jpg

https://howrichami.givingwhatwecan.o...Bchildren%5D=0

Comment

At this risk of going off topic, I've noticed that the poorer the neighborhood, the more likely you are to see children. Maybe it's as simple as the poorer you are, the less you can afford all the structured activities the richer children have. Maybe the poor have more children. It does seem if you want a culture to continue, you need the poor to provide the next generation.
      It might also have something to do with a large [sometimes extended] family living in cramped and [often] unsanitary housing.
      "It ain't necessarily so
      The things that you're liable
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life
      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

I like that "poor to thee".

Mrs CP and I often refer to "poor" being a relative term.
        To some people, they can't buy a new car this year because they are "poor".
        When we had our first child, we had to scrape up quarters and dimes from the couch cushions or wherever to buy a gallon of milk.

Poor is relative.
        Snap! Same here.
        I never forget past hard times.
        In some ways I think that living through poor times adjusts one's whole attitude for the rest of life.

Comment

Originally posted by eider View Post

Snap! Same here.
          I never forget past hard times.
          In some ways I think that living through poor times adjusts one's whole attitude for the rest of life.
          EGGzackly, hence the phrase "born with a silver spoon in his mouth" is disparaging.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

At this risk of going off topic, I've noticed that the poorer the neighborhood, the more likely you are to see children. Maybe it's as simple as the poorer you are, the less you can afford all the structured activities the richer children have. Maybe the poor have more children. It does seem if you want a culture to continue, you need the poor to provide the next generation.
            How true, that children in poorer districts can seem to be so contented, whilst some children brought up in wealth and comfort can be so discontented.

Comment

How true, that children in poorer districts can seem to be so contented, whilst some children brought up in wealth and comfort can be so discontented.
              Country Music Artist "Whisperin' Bill Anderson" would say "God must love poor folk, cause he sure made a lot of 'em".
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Someone in the USA making minimum wage is richer than 86% of the rest of the world.

rich.jpg

https://howrichami.givingwhatwecan.o...Bchildren%5D=0
                It's the same for us in the UK......

Where I live there are television programs focused upon people who live on benefits, with titles like 'benefits cheats' or 'Britain on benefits'. The Producers select very dysfunctional households, a typical example being a lone parent with six children who spends money on booze, cigarettes, bingo etc and who moans about not having enough funds to clothe the kids etc. It;'s helps the viewer-shock % if the parent gets caught shoplifting, or whatever. These producers are after high viewing stats for success, and I expect that the victims had no idea how they would be seen by the World once on the screen.

I don't like benefits scroungers at all, but I would also like to see programs focused upon very very rich households that cheat on their taxes and make masses of money on scams, positions, sinecures etc etc.... We could call it 'Tax cuts for fat cats!' or something catchy. These slugs drain as much or more money out of our national coffers than hundreds of dysfunctional or unemployable folks.

Comment

Moving Forward........... :)

Wednesday's offering....................

Leviticus {15:11} For the poor shall never cease out of the land: therefore I command thee, saying, Thou shalt open thine hand wide unto thy brother, to thy poor, and to thy needy, in thy land.

..... never ceasing......
                  The lottery which scatters Ability and Disability through a community will never end, and whilst one sibling might have a 'natural' ability with car-mechanics the brother/sister might have a fine singing voice. One will have a good trade whilst the other becomes a famous billionaire.

And sadly there are so many with grave disabilities. Countries which seek to weed out and discard the infirm, disabled and very sick (like nazi germany did) just don't seem to survive themselves. A dysfunctional country does not care about it's weak and sick!

A good community cares for it's weak. Enough.

Comment

It's the same for us in the UK......

Where I live there are television programs focused upon people who live on benefits, with titles like 'benefits cheats' or 'Britain on benefits'. The Producers select very dysfunctional households, a typical example being a lone parent with six children who spends money on booze, cigarettes, bingo etc and who moans about not having enough funds to clothe the kids etc. It;'s helps the viewer-shock % if the parent gets caught shoplifting, or whatever. These producers are after high viewing stats for success, and I expect that the victims had no idea how they would be seen by the World once on the screen.

I don't like benefits scroungers at all, but I would also like to see programs focused upon very very rich households that cheat on their taxes and make masses of money on scams, positions, sinecures etc etc.... We could call it 'Tax cuts for fat cats!' or something catchy. These slugs drain as much or more money out of our national coffers than hundreds of dysfunctional or unemployable folks.
                    There is a show on CNBC called "American Greed" that focuses on scammers and white collar crime. Usually people who get rich stealing from regular people, setting up pyramid schemes, fraudulent investments, and such. Most are also tax scammers, and that is how many are caught.

Comment

There is a show on CNBC called "American Greed" that focuses on scammers and white collar crime. Usually people who get rich stealing from regular people, setting up pyramid schemes, fraudulent investments, and such. Most are also tax scammers, and that is how many are caught.
                      Back in the day, our Police Department had a "Bunko Squad", and I was team leader. It was to root out and arrest the local scam artists.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Back in the day, our Police Department had a "Bunko Squad", and I was team leader. It was to root out and arrest the local scam artists.
                        I am constantly surprised when watching American Greed at how low the prison sentences are for many of these crooks after bankrupting hundreds of innocent people. I would give them life. But lots of these guys get something like 10 years. They get out and just do it again.

Comment

Now why haven't we got something like that! ??
                          I surely would love to know how much criminal wealth cost us, compared with criminal benefits cheats. We just pick on the one group, I think.

Comment

I am constantly surprised when watching American Greed at how low the prison sentences are for many of these crooks after bankrupting hundreds of innocent people. I would give them life. But lots of these guys get something like 10 years. They get out and just do it again.
                            Our judicial system is a bit crank as well.
                            If on a long journey you should fall asleep and cause a fatal accident you will get a longer jail sentence than if you intentionally punch someone outside a pub and kill them.

Comment

I've thought the same. I would go further and give the death sentence to some of the extreme cases. Bernie Madoff comes to mind as one.

This is probably a good area to have the sentencing guidelines reviewed and updated.
                              "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Thursday's offering.........

In the UK we have television programs which feature Bailiffs, High Court Officers, and County Court Enforcement agents visiting the homes and businesses of debtors to seize property. That's perfectly reasonable in most cases, and nobody minds seeing these officers slapping notices and vehicle clamps on to cars so valuable that they could buy a home.

But I have noticed that when serving notice at less wealthy homes and offices that there is a tendency to seize office equipment, computers, printers and other business equipment. Whilst products like workmen's tools can be left alone I just feel sure that the above listed items are needed for businesses to function, and therefore they too should be viewed as 'Tools'.

Deuteronomy {24:6} No man shall take the nether or the upper millstone to pledge: for he taketh [a man’s] life to pledge.

Comment