Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Interpretation the Trinity is polytheistic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Same Hakeem View Post
    All over the Bible, God is one. Therefore, Jesus CANNOT BE GOD and be WITH God in John 1:2. Otherwise, this requires having two GODS.
    Did you know it's a philosophical impossibility to have more than one omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent Beings? They'd essentially just be the same Being. But one Being that is three Persons works just fine! And even better, said Being would not need external persons for meeting the needs for community. After all, if God desires fellowship with us, there needed to be fellowship in Himself in eternity past or He'd need fellowship instead of merely desiring to invite us to join the dance.
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
      Did you know it's a philosophical impossibility to have more than one omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent Beings? They'd essentially just be the same Being. But one Being that is three Persons works just fine! And even better, said Being would not need external persons for meeting the needs for community. After all, if God desires fellowship with us, there needed to be fellowship in Himself in eternity past or He'd need fellowship instead of merely desiring to invite us to join the dance.
      Was Jesus omnipresent while on earth?

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
        Well, yes? That's what the doctrine of the Trinity teaches any way, so I'm not sure why you're bringing attention to that fact?
        It is the fact that they are three anthropomorphic individuals therefore polytheism.
        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
          It is the fact that they are three anthropomorphic individuals therefore polytheism.
          Lol. You are begging the question. You start off with "anthropomorphic" (human qualities attributed where they don't exist).

The Bible says we bear the image of God. Can the human qualities be actually reflections of God's nature in US? Polytheism might very well be a broken, flawed view of the truth about God?
          Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
            Being two (or three) distinct persons does not necessitate being two (or three) distinct beings.

Also, you calling the God of Christianity "anthropomorphic individuals" is simply you begging the question that the God of the Bible was created in the image of man, instead of man being created in the image of God. It's not God who is anthropomorphic, it's we who are theomorphic.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
              Being two (or three) distinct persons does not necessitate being two (or three) distinct beings.

Also, you calling the God of Christianity "anthropomorphic individuals" is simply you begging the question that the God of the Bible was created in the image of man, instead of man being created in the image of God. It's not God who is anthropomorphic, it's we who are theomorphic.
              Jesus was anthropormorphic, at least for a time, so I would assume the other two persons could also be anthropormophic should they choose to be, No?

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                Saying "But one Being that is three Persons works just fine" is refuted by Jesus in Matthew 24:36 where Jesus said "of that day and that hour no one knows not the angels in heaven but only the Father" therefore, had the Holy Spirit been God, Jesus would not have limited the knowledge of his second coming to "ONLY THE FATHER" in Matthew 24:36 because "God knows everything" in 1 John 3:20.

Comment

A human brain can't hold everything, so most of Jesus' omniscience is now likely subconscious.
                  If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                    Jesus was anthropormorphic, at least for a time, so I would assume the other two persons could also be anthropormophic should they choose to be, No?
                    Anthropomorphic means that you attribute human characteristics to something that is not human, but according to the doctrine of the Incarnation Jesus really did become fully human when He took on human nature, so the charge of anthropomorphism doesn't hold even after the incarnation. But yes, as far as I know there's nothing that would hinder the Father or the Spirit from taking on human nature if They so chose.

Comment

• Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                      A human brain can't hold everything, so most of Jesus' omniscience is now likely subconscious.
                      I don't think so. Jesus being God means that his knowledge or awareness isn't limited to what his physical brain can contain, so there's no need for his omniscience to be subconscious. I'm not even sure what that would mean. Even if you take into account our subconsciousness there still wouldn't be enough room in a brain to store all the knowledge God has.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                        Anthropomorphic means that you attribute human characteristics to something that is not human, but according to the doctrine of the Incarnation Jesus really did become fully human when He took on human nature, so the charge of anthropomorphism doesn't hold even after the incarnation. But yes, as far as I know there's nothing that would hinder the Father or the Spirit from taking on human nature if They so chose.
                        It looks like little jimmy was using "big words" the meaning of which he doesn't grasp.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
                          How about his omnipresence?

Comment

• Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                            Anthropomorphic means that you attribute human characteristics to something that is not human, but according to the doctrine of the Incarnation Jesus really did become fully human when He took on human nature, so the charge of anthropomorphism doesn't hold even after the incarnation. [B]But yes, as far as I know there's nothing that would hinder the Father or the Spirit from taking on human nature if They so chose.
                            So, no more omnipowers?

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              It looks like little jimmy was using "big words" the meaning of which he doesn't grasp.
                              Grow up, rogue!

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                                So, no more omnipowers?
                                I don't think your question is serious but here goes. He brought people back from the dead. Walked on water. Read people's minds. Healed a lot of people (one at a distance). Fed five thousand and (I think?) four thousand.

Oh - and forgave our sins.
                                Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment