Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Is The Concept Of Human Dignity...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by seer View Post

Yes I did: "But I would say that God is a moral and spiritual Being, and men have these moral and spiritual qualities."
    And what exactly does that mean? The word morality derives from the Latin for manners and character [moralis "proper behavior of a person in society"].. What proper behaviour, manners, or character are demonstrated by this entity, which men apparently share? And what precise "spiritual qualities" are you describing?

Originally posted by seer View Post
    And this:

To assert that humans are created in the image of God may mean to recognize some special qualities of human nature which allow God to be made manifest in humans. For humans to have a conscious recognition of having been made in the image of God may mean that they are aware of being that part of the creation through whom God's plans and purposes best can be expressed and actualized; humans, in this way, can interact creatively with the rest of creation. The moral implications of the doctrine of Imago Dei are apparent in the fact that, if humans are to love God, then humans must love other humans whom God has created (cf. John 13:35), as each is an expression of God. The human likeness to God can also be understood by contrasting it with that which does not image God, i.e., beings who, as far as we know, are without this spiritual self-awareness and the capacity for spiritual / moral reflection and growth. We may say that humans differ from all other creatures because of the self-reflective, rational nature of their thought processes - their capacity for abstract, symbolic as well as concrete deliberation and decision-making.
    I am not sure that various Wiki sites adequately deal with these extremely complex [and subjective] theological opinions and constructs. All of which develop over time and vary among the major religions.

Some researchers will also contend that various animals engage in rational thinking and exhibit a degree of self awareness. While other research suggests that humans may not be quite as rational as often as we sometimes imagine ourselves!

"It ain't necessarily so
    The things that you're liable
    To read in the Bible
    It ain't necessarily so
    ."

Sportin' Life
    Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post
      And what exactly does that mean? The word morality derives from the Latin for manners and character [moralis "proper behavior of a person in society"].. What proper behaviour, manners, or character are demonstrated by this entity, which men apparently share? And what precise "spiritual qualities" are you describing?

I am not sure that various Wiki sites adequately deal with these extremely complex [and subjective] theological opinions and constructs. All of which develop over time and vary among the major religions.

Some researchers will also contend that various animals engage in rational thinking and exhibit a degree of self awareness. While other research suggests that humans may not be quite as rational as often as we sometimes imagine ourselves!
      The point is that we can think in abstract moral terms and abstract rational term, and reason from those abstracts. And we have a spiritual component. i.e. non material. I don't think any animal has any of these qualities. A lion is not a moral being.
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

"God is in His own nature all that which our mind can conceive of as good; ‐ rather, transcending all good that we can conceive or comprehend."

That is Gregory of Nyssa.

Not me.
        Then that makes your moral objection even more meaningless!
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

The point is that we can think in abstract moral terms and abstract rational term, and reason from those abstracts. And we have a spiritual component. i.e. non material.
          Is this the non-material/spiritual component that we have?

I am trying to understand some of the definitions being used.

Comment

• Originally posted by Machinist View Post

Is this the non-material/spiritual component that we have?

I am trying to understand some of the definitions being used.
            The spirit is the immaterial part of the human being (like God is Spirit). Being able to think rationally and morally in the abstract also reflects God's nature. Does that help?

Comment

The point is that we can think in abstract moral terms and abstract rational term, and reason from those abstracts. And we have a spiritual component. i.e. non material. I don't think any animal has any of these qualities. A lion is not a moral being.
              Why are you reluctant to address direct questions?

What proper behaviour, manners, or character are demonstrated by this entity, which men apparently share? And what precise "spiritual qualities" are you describing?

And what is an "abstract moral term"?
              "It ain't necessarily so
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

What proper behaviour, manners, or character are demonstrated by this entity, which men apparently share? And what precise "spiritual qualities" are you describing?

Sorry, I made my position clear - I'm not going to follow you down your usual pedantic rabbit hole...

Comment

The spirit is the immaterial part of the human being (like God is Spirit). Being able to think rationally and morally in the abstract also reflects God's nature. Does that help?
                  It does. Thanks.

Comment

P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

It couldn't possibly be that people are growing weary of your pedantic demands to define terms to your own satisfaction.
                      It's not like the Summa, the Roman Catholic Catechism, or Ligonier (R. C. Sproul) are readily accessible sources of information. If one wanted Jewish information, the term for which to search would be "b'tzelem Elohim".
                      P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Sorry, I made my position clear - I'm not going to follow you down your usual pedantic rabbit hole...
                        You have not made your position clear. You have posted comments from some wiki articles and made a reference to "abstract moral terms". What is abstract morality? Can you define it?
                        Last edited by Hypatia_Alexandria; 02-24-2021, 05:02 PM.
                        "It ain't necessarily so
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

• Originally posted by Diogenes View Post

It's not like the Summa, the Roman Catholic Catechism, or Ligonier (R. C. Sproul) are readily accessible sources of information. If one wanted Jewish information, the term for which to search would be "b'tzelem Elohim".
                          All of which, like Gregory of Nyssa's Imago Dei, are nothing but subjective theological opinion.
                          "It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

All of which, like Gregory of Nyssa's Imago Dei, are nothing but subjective theological opinion.
                            "Subjective opinion" is redundant.

I never presented any of the sources or concepts as empirically factual. All religions and their theologies are interpretive frameworks.
                            P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

• Originally posted by Diogenes View Post

"Subjective opinion" is redundant.
                              Theology by its very definition, is a subjective method which is premised on the interpretation of words found in texts deemed to be sacred.

Originally posted by Diogenes View Post
                              I never presented any of the sources or concepts as empirically factual.
                              I have never stated that you have done so.

Originally posted by Diogenes View Post

All religions and their theologies are interpretive frameworks.
                              Are they? And in what specific respect[s]? I would contend that they are attempts to explain human existence, origins, and purpose within the physical world, in other words the basic triad of birth, copulation, and death.
                              "It ain't necessarily so
                              To read in the Bible
                              It ain't necessarily so
                              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

You have not made your position clear. You have posted comments from some wiki articles and made a reference to "abstract moral terms". What is abstract morality? Can you define it?
                                Really Hypatia, what is the point of you?

Comment