Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Is The Concept Of Human Dignity...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

It should be remembered that the concept of human dignity and what you refer to as "human value" is something that has varied from society to society throughout recorded human history.
    So as in my OP you are saying that human dignity is merely a social construction. So when your people removed any dignity from the Jews was perfectly rational?
    Last edited by seer; 02-22-2021, 08:36 AM.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post

Does it matter
      Yes it does. I want you to explain what you understand by the word "image" that you used in post #102. In what respect[s]/regard[s] are humans in the image of God?

Originally posted by seer View Post
      if it adds to man's transcendent and absolute value? But I would say that God is a moral and spiritual Being, and men have these moral and spiritual qualities.
      The morality of the primitive god of the OT would not sit easily with the mores of today's enlightened western societies.
      "It ain't necessarily so
      The things that you're liable
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life
      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

So as in my OP you are saying that human dignity is merely a social construction.
        Dignity had different meanings for different societies throughout recorded history, You are attempting to retroject a very modern definition back to previous societies in the distant past. That cannot be done.

So when your people removed any dignity from the Jews was perfectly rational?
        Irrelevant. Now tell us all what you understand by your use of the word "empire"?
        "It ain't necessarily so
        To read in the Bible
        It ain't necessarily so
        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Irrelevant. Now tell us all what you understand by your use of the word "empire"?
          Who is "us all"? You appear to be in this battle all by your lonesome.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The morality of the primitive god of the OT would not sit easily with the mores of today's [allegedly] enlightened western societies.
            I fixed it.

The morality of the OT is relative to that specific time period. It would be an anachronism to impose today. Slavery didn't become economically unjustified until the industrial era, but even before then, it starting being of ill repute with Gregory of Nyssa. A lot of the rest was to separate the Israelites from their neighbors and consecrated to Yahweh. In Jewish thought, the death penalty itself fell into disfavour in a large part due to Maimonides.

P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post

Who is "us all"? You appear to be in this battle all by your lonesome.
              It is sometimes employed in less formal writing when referring to oneself and [by extension] anyone else who might be reading/interested/concerned with the exchange.

I was not using it as the Royal "we".
              "It ain't necessarily so
              To read in the Bible
              It ain't necessarily so
              ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

It is sometimes employed in less formal writing when referring to oneself and [by extension] anyone else who might be reading/interested/concerned with the exchange.

I was not using it as the Royal "we".
                Yes, but in those cases it's backed up by a reasonable expectation that others give a flyin' flip.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Diogenes View Post

The morality of the OT is relative to that specific time period.
                  Those specific periods of time.

Hence the dangers of attempting to retroject modern ideas about what we now perceive to be human dignity, rights, liberties etc. back to ancient periods in history and to entirely different societies.

Last edited by Hypatia_Alexandria; 02-22-2021, 11:27 AM.
                  "It ain't necessarily so
                  To read in the Bible
                  It ain't necessarily so
                  ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Dignity had different meanings for different societies throughout recorded history, You are attempting to retroject a very modern definition back to previous societies in the distant past. That cannot be done.
                    Don't use Dignity then, use value or worth. Is human worth an objective or universal truth or not?

It is not irrelevant, it is the whole point! If human worth is merely a social construct then defining the worth of Jews downward is perfectly rational.

Empire: Supreme political power over several countries when exercised by a single authority

Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Those specific periods of time.

Hence the dangers of attempting to retroject modern ideas about what we now perceive to be human dignity, rights, liberties etc. back to ancient periods in history and to entirely different societies.

Humans having dignity due to the Imago Dei goes back to at least Gregory of Nyssa.

There are two further characteristics of the human nous according to Gregory. First, because the human nous is created in the image of God, it possesses a certain “dignity of royalty” (to tes basileias axioma) that is lacking in the rest of creation. Source: IEP
                      Gregory of Nyssa seems to have been against slavery re the Imago Dei but I'm unable to find his Fourth Homily on Ecclesiastes online atm.
                      P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment

Yes it does. I want you to explain what you understand by the word "image" that you used in post #102. In what respect[s]/regard[s] are humans in the image of God?
                        No it doesn't matter if it endows men with an absolute value.

The morality of the primitive god of the OT would not sit easily with the mores of today's enlightened western societies.
                        Who decides what is enlightened? And why are they right?

Comment

• Originally posted by Diogenes View Post

Humans having dignity due to the Imago Dei goes back to at least Gregory of Nyssa.

Gregory of Nyssa seems to have been against slavery re the Imago Dei but I'm unable to find his Fourth Homily on Ecclesiastes online atm.
                          What has any of that to do with my reply? You seem to jump about from topic to topic while displaying a marked reluctance to respond to requests for you to substantiate remarks.

"It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

No it doesn't matter if it endows men with an absolute value.
                            Another one who dislikes defining their terms.

Who decides what is enlightened? And why are they right?
                            You are the one making pronouncements concerning" transcendent and absolute value", not me.

"It ain't necessarily so
                            To read in the Bible
                            It ain't necessarily so
                            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

Another one who dislikes defining their terms.
                              It couldn't possibly be that people are growing weary of your pedantic demands to define terms to your own satisfaction.

Comment

What has any of that to do with my reply?

The modern ideas about what we now perceive to be human dignity et al" has precursors in ancient thought, most notably with the Imago Dei beginning with Gregory of Nyssa, which I cited. Seer's usage of the Imago Dei as a foundation of human dignity isn't an retrojection of modern ideas into the past, as it's already in the past.

You seem to jump about from topic to topic while displaying a marked reluctance to respond to requests for you to substantiate remarks.
                                I've actually given citations when asked for substantiation.
                                P1) If , then I win.

P2)

C) I win.

Comment