Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Thoughts about John BarZebedee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hypatia_Alexandria View Post

Someone added another chapter at a later date. People enjoy a good story and wanted some more and so we are given a nice little tale about Jesus getting together with his disciples and cooking them a barbie on the beach.
    It's a lot of symbolism in it though. You know? It kind ties everything together doesn't it? The Abrupt Insertion aside, it's Rich.

Comment

Originally posted by Machinist View Post

It's a lot of symbolism in it though.
      Has it?

You know?
      Not really.

It kind ties everything together doesn't it?
      Does it?

The Abrupt Insertion aside, it's Rich.
      An interesting opinion.

"It ain't necessarily so
      The things that you're liable
      To read in the Bible
      It ain't necessarily so
      ."

Sportin' Life
      Porgy & Bess, DuBose Heyward, George & Ira Gershwin

Comment

Yes a lot of symbolism, like the 153 fishes? And Jesus tells Peter he loves him 3 different times and how each time is a variant on the word "love", or something like that, but it has much much import into Christian thought. It's a dang good ending to the story.

Comment

Has it?

Not really.

Does it?

An interesting opinion.
          This looks like the response by someone who feels a need to reply but has no idea what they should say.

A library could be filled with all the books written about the rich use of symbolism contained in the fourth gospel. Some are obvious but many more are less so. In the opening verses his use of "the Word" to signify Jesus is probably one of the easiest to catch. Similarly, his use of light and darkness. The entire text is incredibly rich with symbolic meaning.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            This looks like the response by someone who feels a need to reply but has no idea what they should say.

A library could be filled with all the books written about the rich use of symbolism contained in the fourth gospel. Some are obvious but many more are less so. In the opening verses his use of "the Word" to signify Jesus is probably one of the easiest to catch. Similarly, his use of light and darkness. The entire text is incredibly rich with symbolic meaning.
            I have no idea what point Machinist was trying to make. Hence my questions to help him/her along.

Unfortunately his/her comment "You know?" means precisely nothing to me because I do not know.
            "It ain't necessarily so
            To read in the Bible
            It ain't necessarily so
            ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I have no idea what point Machinist was trying to make. Hence my questions to help him/her along.

Unfortunately his/her comment "You know?" means precisely nothing to me because I do not know.
              Maybe he made the mistake of presuming that you either knew or understood more than he thought you did.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Maybe he made the mistake of presuming that you either knew or understood more than he thought you did.
                Understood what?

Some rather cryptic remarks told me nothing.

Is there a really lot of symbolism in John 21? I don't think so.

Does it tie everything together?

What does "Rich" mean in this context?

"It ain't necessarily so
                To read in the Bible
                It ain't necessarily so
                ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I mean it's rich as in it answers a lot of the mystery of who Jesus was and foundational to the Architecture of Christendom.

Comment

Understood what?

Some rather cryptic remarks told me nothing.

Is there a really lot of symbolism in John 21? I don't think so.

Does it tie everything together?

What does "Rich" mean in this context?
                    These look a lot more like what you should have replied with than your own one word cryptic responses.

Comment

I mean it's rich as in it answers a lot of the mystery of who Jesus was and foundational to the Architecture of Christendom.
                      For Faith Jesus can be anything that a person wants to believe in, and in that I guess that Apostle John could be helpful.

For Truth Jesus cannot be anything that a person wants to dream up. In my opinion Apostle John was a dreamer, and certainly absolutely he never did know, see, witness Jesus at all.

His Gospel is very helpful in that John brought together so many accounts about Jesus, not to be found elsewhere, but that is all.

Comment

Ah. Thank you for the clarification. However, there you and are in complete disagreement.
                        "It ain't necessarily so
                        To read in the Bible
                        It ain't necessarily so
                        ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

These look a lot more like what you should have replied with than your own one word cryptic responses.
                          I asked some questions Machinist has now replied to one with his/her opinion and with which I do not agree.
                          "It ain't necessarily so
                          To read in the Bible
                          It ain't necessarily so
                          ."

Sportin' Life

Comment

I don't know what i'm saying or what i'm arguing. I forget this is a debate forum.

Comment

I don't know what i'm saying or what i'm arguing. I forget this is a debate forum.
                              Sure , but it doesn't have to be a gunfight. It can be a disagreement and still be a debate.

Comment