Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Those over there! .... They are not Christians!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by eider View Post
    You do try :+}

You mention a Pope and said : "I can't remember which" I asked which pope and you looked it up and provided the answer. Simple, why deny the obvious?

The rest are statements of fact: the first being that most people are oblivious to the title or position of an expert (usually in a university); the second being that people ( including experts) are human, have leanings but strive to be objective and let the text speak to them; and, the third about scholarly reviews being more than saying ok (that was a fun one).

And what do all these have in common? Experts- so of course you consider it waffling since it goes against you preconceived notions, that is you have an or agenda :+{

Well at least we moved you from book burning to 'chucking books away' or what we, in 2021, call recycling.

Most progressive Christians have known this about Mary for decades (it also became common knowledge in the early 2000s - you know the DiVinci Code).The only question and a minor one at that, was 'which one (i.e. pope), which as said one can google .......as you did :+} You made a point about Mary that was accepted knowledge among people (experts and amateurs) who study the bible and early Christian history. Not a big reveal, already accepted, so no need or desire to obstruct anything. And once you realize this, I accept your apology :+}

As for you lack of future responses: promises, promises.
    Last edited by thormas; 01-20-2021, 06:25 AM.

Comment

Oh thormas!!!!

Post 122! Look what you wrote!
      But I don't remember about a Pope and Mary ..........which one?

Oh, thormas!
      I do appreciate your attempt to be dramatic :+}

Comment

I don't think that you realise it, but but you have descended in to a continuous cycle of aggressive paragraphs, one after the other on successive posts. This is surely indicative of a someone totally caught out.
        Now, I'll ask you again, please pick any point that any scholar has made to you that you treasure. Then we could look at it.

Now, you want to see some findings from my searches, yes?
        OK....... Now will you please describe Jesus's home town of Nazareth as it would have been. You start .....
        OR........ please describe why you think that esus and the disciples might have run night trips over to the Gadarene shores. I'll take it from there..... any good?
        OR...... Were Jesus and his disciples just having a last meal together or was that meal the consumption of a sacrifice? Where did Jews eat their sacrifices?OR....... Would you like to tell me about the language of the Galilean Boatmen?
        OR...... how many Romans were in Galilee?
        OR...... it goes on, thormas.......... and on......

Pick one. THis teaching you what I learned over years is going to take......... years, thormas.
        Just pick one.
        Oh elder!!!!!! (thought I'd imitate you and go for the dramatic :+}

Nothing aggressive just absolute amazement with someone in 2021 who burns books, has no appreciation of expertise, relies on his (very questionable) individual research (on Mark's Temple passage and the whole of Mark's gospel) because he fears a big brother type indoctrination' and .......... of course someone who has yet to present his massive research material for the Temple story in Mark.

HA asked about your evidence. And your answer: "The background and source material for that one post amounts to a massive amount of material" and then you merely quoted Mark himself. No research not to a mention massive amount of research and that was for only a small part of Mark concerning the Temple incident. So we continue to wait on the supporting massive amount of material for that part of Mark and the massive amounts of material that supports the rest of your 'research' and 'individual' interpretation of Mark.

As I have said from the beginning, opinion is fine and all are entitled to it. Your flaw is that you dismiss the 'expert opinions' of scholars who have far greater knowledge, understanding, skills and means to do research, than do you. And the results are evident in your Temple post.

Findings from your searches? Jesus' hometown, the nature and location of the last supper, Gerasenes, the languages of Galilee, the number of Romans in Galilee?
        Please, this information is found in the scholarly research that already exists - so are you searching the scholars? Are you claiming their works/findings as your own? If so, this is plagiarism - taking someone else' work/ideas and passing them off as your own. Simply give credit where credit is due: present those experts you researched and borrowed from. And if you only reply on google, then give credit to Google and do the work required to determine from whom they got their information.

I'm not interested in your findings, is anybody? These and much more are in the public record of biblical and historical research and given proper citations. If Mark is an example of what you learned over the years, I pass - as do most people interested in serious scholarship.

I care about the sources (the massive amounts of material) of 'your searches, your information.' Experts all?
        Last edited by thormas; 01-20-2021, 12:13 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by thormas View Post

Oh elder!!!!!! (thought I'd imitate you and go for the dramatic :+}

Nothing aggressive just absolute amazement with someone in 2021 who burns books, has no appreciation of expertise, relies on his (very questionable) individual research (on Mark's Temple passage and the whole of Mark's gospel) because he fears a big brother type indoctrination' and .......... of course someone who has yet to present his massive research material for the Temple story in Mark.

HA asked about your evidence. And your answer: "The background and source material for that one post amounts to a massive amount of material" and then you merely quoted Mark himself. No research not to a mention massive amount of research and that was for only a small part of Mark concerning the Temple incident. So we continue to wait on the supporting massive amount of material for that part of Mark and the massive amounts of material that supports the rest of your 'research' and 'individual' interpretation of Mark.

As I have said from the beginning, opinion is fine and all are entitled to it. Your flaw is that you dismiss the 'expert opinions' of scholars who have far greater knowledge, understanding, skills and means to do research, than do you. And the results are evident in your Temple post.
          What a rant!
          If you have something to debate, then debate it. Your personal attack just shows that you have nothing to debate.

Findings from your searches? Jesus' hometown, the nature and location of the last supper, Gerasenes, the languages of Galilee, the number of Romans in Galilee?
          Please, this information is found in the scholarly research that already exists - so are you searching the scholars? Are you claiming their works/findings as your own? If so, this is plagiarism - taking someone else' work/ideas and passing them off as your own. Simply give credit where credit is due: present those experts you researched and borrowed from. And if you only reply on google, then give credit to Google and do the work required to determine from whom they got their information.
          So you dare not pick a subject.
          I don't think that you know anything about any of the subjects.....
          You demanded that I show you things, I offered somesubjects and suggested that you initiate any one.
          You can't.
          I ddn't think so.,

I'm not interested in your findings, is anybody? These and much more are in the public record of biblical and historical research and given proper citations. If Mark is an example of what you learned over the years, I pass - as do most people interested in serious scholarship.
          You wanted to see the results of my searches. If you want to get started then pick a subject, any subject. I just suggested a few.
          Most of my work is my own, but I always give dredit.
          Your idol Prof Ehrmann would not be getting any.

I care about the sources (the massive amounts of material) of 'your searches, your information.' Experts all?
          Pick a subject......
          Try me.
          Historical Jesus, mind you.

Comment

If you have something to debate, then debate it.........

So you dare not pick a subject...........

Pick a subject......
            Try me.............

As said, your response ".........is surely indicative of someone totally caught out."

I don't demand you show me (answers) on anything, I (and others) simply wanted to be shown the massive amounts of material you referred to, the evidence for your assertions on Mark. And, as you said, "still waiting."

I know the answers and/or have easy access to scholarly experts who have done the research on the few questions you posed and much, much more. And, I don't have idols but I do respect expertise.

All you have shown us is a guy shouting 'pick a subject, any subject, try meeeeeeeeee'........ No thank you!
            Last edited by thormas; 01-20-2021, 05:00 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by thormas View Post

As said, your response ".........is surely indicative of someone totally caught out."
              If you have nothing to debate in, ariound or about Jesus or his disciples, don't bother me.

I don't demand you show me (answers) on anything,.........
              You don't..?
              I (and others) simply wanted to be shown...............
              The stuff that you write!

I know the answers and/or have easy access to scholarly experts who have done the research on the few questions you posed and much, much more.
              Do you? So you have ideas about how or why Jesus and his disciples would go sail/row over to the Gadarenes on night excursions?
              I do not believe you.

All you have shown us is a guy shouting 'pick a subject, any subject, try meeeeeeeeee'........ No thank you!
              You challenged me. I responded. You sat back down.
              That's OK.

If you haven't got any subject matter or ideas to discuss about Jesus, disciples, Baptist or what they did, please don't bother posting to me.
              You wasate my time, I think.

And yes, in Future you can call me 'eider BBB' Burner of Barty's Books! But even with pages compressed in a newspaper impacter the blooming thing couldn't warm me like a good old Daily Newspaper could.

Comment

.....So you have ideas about how or why Jesus and his disciples would go sail/row over to the Gadarenes on night excursions?
                I do not believe you...........

If you haven't got any subject matter or ideas to discuss about Jesus, disciples, Baptist or what they did, please don't bother posting to me.......

And yes, in Future you can call me 'eider BBB' Burner of Barty's Books! .............

You must really have trouble doing research since you aren't a good reader. See, there is a difference between 'your' answers to any of the little questions you posed and "the massive amounts of material" you said goes into your take on the Marcan Temple incident. I have no interested in the former, I (we) have simply asked to be shown (something of) the latter. You're welcome and I accept your apology.

Again it is not about rowing at night, Hey, is this the beginning of a joke? Why did Jesus and the boys row at night? To get to the other side. Ba Da Boom!

You must be the life of the biblical parties but I guess people have to sit on the massive amount of research that you alluded to earlier :+} And the problem with your elusive research is if it includes scholars then you contradict your whole rant about experts? Hey I bet it includes Crossan and Ehrman.

I have no problem discussing anything if I find it interesting, but if all you do is quote the text as you did with Mark, you're input is unnecessary, since anybody can do that.

So back to the all important rowing at night.....if you have ideas or an idea - don't say, rather tell us who you have read, what you have studied to arrive at your theory. Simply, get off your duff and own it, can you?

And now you give yourself little names with initials? I think it stands for Bart's my Bible Buddy.
                Last edited by thormas; 01-21-2021, 08:12 AM.

Comment