Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Diverse isolated cultures hold to monotheism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diverse isolated cultures hold to monotheism

Reasons to Believe has an article about monotheism being the belief of various tribes that these days have the most ancient human cultures.

Source: RTB

How is it possible that these preliterate, geographically distanced, indigenous tribes possess such an advanced, theistic view of God, very similar in many ways to the God of the Bible? The most logical answer to this question seems to be that the God of the Bible revealed himself (Romans 1:20), and the memory of him has been carried forth. We find among these ancient tribes precisely what we would expect if all the people of the earth trace their origin back to Noah and his family, to whom God revealed himself (Genesis 9:1-17). The knowledge of God spread from that point forward.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

Blessings,
    Lee
    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
    Reasons to Believe has an article about monotheism being the belief of various tribes that these days have the most ancient human cultures.

How is it possible that these preliterate, geographically distanced, indigenous tribes possess such an advanced, theistic view of God, very similar in many ways to the God of the Bible? The most logical answer to this question seems to be that the God of the Bible revealed himself (Romans 1:20), and the memory of him has been carried forth. We find among these ancient tribes precisely what we would expect if all the people of the earth trace their origin back to Noah and his family, to whom God revealed himself (Genesis 9:1-17). The knowledge of God spread from that point forward.

Source

Blessings,
    Lee
    Sounds very similar to Baha'i view of progressive Revelation being universal and evolving throughout the history of humanity.
    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post

Sounds very similar to Baha'i view of progressive Revelation being universal and evolving throughout the history of humanity.
      That's also a view Biblical theologians share. But this does put the kabosh on the popular opinion that polytheism was the earliest religion.

Blessings,
      Lee
      "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

That's also a view Biblical theologians share. But this does put the kabosh on the popular opinion that polytheism was the earliest religion.

Blessings,
        Lee
        No it does not, because the archaeological objective evidence has documented that the early pastoral Hebrews were a Canaanite tribe that their language evolved from a primitive a Canaanite/Ugarat language, and were polytheistic, with idols of a Canaanite woman Goddess found commonly in their settlements. Also the text of the Pentateuch directly references the banes of Gods and text from Canaanite/Ugarit texts.
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

Frank

Comment

Source

Blessings,
          Lee
          What sort of precautions were taken to make sure that their beliefs weren't influenced by contact with humans whether it be missionaries or members of other tribes who had been contacted by outsiders?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

No it does not, because the archaeological objective evidence has documented that the early pastoral Hebrews were a Canaanite tribe that their language evolved from a primitive a Canaanite/Ugarat language, and were polytheistic, with idols of a Canaanite woman Goddess found commonly in their settlements. Also the text of the Pentateuch directly references the banes of Gods and text from Canaanite/Ugarit texts.
            Well, we're not discussing the Hebrews here, rather we're discussing the current isolated cultures. Given the current opinion that polytheism was first, these groups having a high view of a monotheistic God is surprising.

Blessings,
            Lee

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
              What sort of precautions were taken to make sure that their beliefs weren't influenced by contact with humans whether it be missionaries or members of other tribes who had been contacted by outsiders?
              Well, for one thing, geographically distanced groups were selected, so they wouldn't have been influenced by one influence. For another, they mention their beliefs as if they aren't second-hand. Finally, the groups were isolated, so not much contact with outsiders.

Blessings,
              Lee

Comment

Well, we're not discussing the Hebrews here, rather we're discussing the current isolated cultures. Given the current opinion that polytheism was first, these groups having a high view of a monotheistic God is surprising.

Blessings,
                Lee
                Well, ah . . . yes we are, because you brought up ancient isolate religions, monotheism, and ah . . . yes you brought up Biblical scholars. The relationship between religions, such as the Hebrews.

Originally posted by lee_merrill
                The other reality of ancient cultures is they were not isolated going back to the Neolithic. There is evidence of trade in nephrite jade for tools and weapons from the British Isles to China including Celtic trading Community in China. There is evidence of trade the full length of the Americas in the Neolithic. Ancient domesticated dogs have been found as far South as New Guinea. Also, migrations of our ancestors have covered Asia, Europe and Africa for hundreds of thousands of years, before the Neolithic..
                Last edited by shunyadragon; 10-26-2020, 09:07 PM.

Frank

Comment

Well, for one thing, geographically distanced groups were selected, so they wouldn't have been influenced by one influence. For another, they mention their beliefs as if they aren't second-hand. Finally, the groups were isolated, so not much contact with outsiders.

Blessings,
                  Lee
                  Being geographically isolated in this day and age doesn't mean all that much and hasn't stopped contact in the past.

I'm reminded of how cryptozoologists excitedly talk about how a sauropod dinosaur (Mokele-mbembe) may still exist in the Congo River Basin, but it appears to be the result of cultural contamination from Europe and Western Europe (both of which were experiencing a ‘dino-mania’ craze that prominently featured the "Brontosaurus") at the time. That is why we need to be exceptionally vigilant that this isn't also the result of similar cultural contamination.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The other reality of ancient cultures is they were not isolated going back to the Neolithic. There is evidence of trade in nephrite jade for tools and weapons from the British Isles to China including Celtic trading Community in China. There is evidence of trade the full length of the Americas in the Neolithic. Ancient domesticated dogs have been found as far South as New Guinea. Also, migrations of our ancestors have covered Asia, Europe and Africa for hundreds of thousands of years, before the Neolithic..
                    Which proves that these tribes were not isolated? You can, well, ask them...

Blessings,
                    Lee

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                      Being geographically isolated in this day and age doesn't mean all that much and hasn't stopped contact in the past.
                      Well, you skipped my strongest point, that they are not talking like their beliefs are second-hand.

Blessings,
                      Lee

Comment

Which proves that these tribes were not isolated? You can, well, ask them...

Blessings,
                        Lee
                        There possessions will tell you they traded with other tribes. We know this from archaeology and paleoanthropology. It began with desirable flint, obsidian, jade, salt and gemstones. Salzburg is probably one of oldest cities in Europe as the trading center for salt and local jade founded in the Neolithic
                        Last edited by shunyadragon; 10-27-2020, 10:01 PM.

Frank

Comment

Well, you skipped my strongest point, that they are not talking like their beliefs are second-hand.

Blessings,
                          Lee
                          Probably because nearly nobody ever does

Comment

Blessings,
                            Lee
                            I mean, Christians don't talk about their beliefs being second-hand even though many of them are. They're an offshoot of Judaism, their Easter and Christmas celebrations are strongly influenced by pagan beliefs and traditions, etc..

Comment