Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Saved Atheist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the boat a metaphor for? I guess it's the thing that saves us . . . from WHAT!?
    The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      No we are not in the same boat, you are just making that up. The Christian actually believes that he is saved from sin and death - that they are realities. What is the atheist saved from?
      There is only ONE reality. We are both in it. What is unseen for you is unseen for me. The ONLY difference is the words you and I are using now to talk about it.
      “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
      “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
      “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
        Is that your own poetry (above) Frank?
        Yes
        Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
        Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
        But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
          What is the boat a metaphor for? I guess it's the thing that saves us . . . from WHAT!?
          In the same boat means in the same situation or having the same problems. My thesis is that whatever ‘saved’ means, atheists, or anyone else are as saved as Christians.
          “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
          “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
            There is only ONE reality. We are both in it. What is unseen for you is unseen for me. The ONLY difference is the words you and I are using now to talk about it.
            Again that just doesn't follow. God either exists or not - He is either part of this one reality or He is not (whether He is seen or unseen is immaterial). So this is not merely about semantics it is about reality and what reality actually consists of. The atheist does not believe in sin and judgement so there would be nothing to be saved from.
            Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Tadalkjasd asfe fakj gasdoiasdf ajf fj jasdjls. FF, asdfaia akd fjasdee fj alem?
              I'm not here anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                Atheists are saved by... what?
                I think he's using the term metaphorically. He might be saying that Christians (and all religious believers) are metaphorically saved by forming views that make them happy and keep their existential worries at bay, while skeptics are "saved" by accepting epistemology and forming views with the data already available to us.

It's not very coherently expressed.

Comment

Originally posted by Carrikature View Post
                  Tadalkjasd asfe fakj gasdoiasdf ajf fj jasdjls. FF, asdfaia akd fjasdee fj alem?
                  yer momma.

Comment

No we are not in the same boat, you are just making that up. The Christian actually believes that he is saved from sin and death - that they are realities. What is the atheist saved from?
                    But death isn't the problem you're saying it is. It has always existed. I put my 12 year old cat to sleep once, and felt very deep emotions as we looked into each other's eyes as she slipped out of existence. That it effects creatures in this way doesn't mean that it's unnatural. Maybe some skeptics feel a certain liberty in processing death that way instead of calling it a side effect of ancient evil.

Comment

Again that just doesn't follow. God either exists or not - He is either part of this one reality or He is not (whether He is seen or unseen is immaterial). So this is not merely about semantics it is about reality and what reality actually consists of. The atheist does not believe in sin and judgement so there would be nothing to be saved from.
                      That is exactly upside-down. It is the fact that God is unseen that makes his existence questionable. It is likewise for sin and salvation. You could not simply look at a crowd of people and pick out those who are ‘saved’. If you talk to some of them and you hear the special language you might judge that they are saved. The thing that you observe about them is that they know the special language.

Now, it is probably true that the language you use affects how you perceive reality but it does not change reality. What you do is equate perception with reality but this in not reliable when the things you are thinking about are unseen. Therefore, regardless of what each of us thinks is the case about God, sin and salvation, my reality is identical to your reality and therefore if you are ‘saved’ so am I. It makes no difference what I am ‘saved’ from.

Comment

This needs umlauts.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                          Our ship earth has more voyagers in the quest for salvation then Christians and Atheists. There are Buddhists, Jews, Hindus, Agnostics, Taoists, Muslims, and an assortment of others all concerned with salvation, including an assortments of pragmatists. The question from my perspective is what are we saved from?

From the Baha'i perspective the main concern is the salvation of humanity in the unity and harmony of our spiritual nature. Unselfish sincerity and compassion for our fellow passengers on the ship 'Earth.' are more likely the touchstone of salvation then being concerned with salvation of ones own soul.

Compassion

Compassion is the earth,
                          it is always beneath you regardless of flavor.
                          It receives all in death,
                          without judgment or favor.

Love is the moon,
                          a beautiful reflection in the lake.
                          entwines the favored son,
                          but fades dancing away in the wake.

Compassion is the sun.
                          The sun gives warmth and life to all,
                          even the dark shadows in the morn
                          receive light in the eve whether short or tall.

Love is the moon
                          sometime a smile, sometimes not
                          dancing in the shadows
                          sometimes there, sometimes not

Compassion fills the air.
                          to some a soft breeze.
                          others a deadly roar and a prayer
                          Not one nor the other to please.

Love is the moon
                          Playing hide and seek
                          Sometimes a wink
                          for those who vainly seek.

Compassion is the sea,
                          Ascending to the heavens unseen,
                          returning again to give life.
                          or a grave to some in the sea

Love is the rose.
                          Beautiful to behold,
                          When no longer a rose,
                          the thorns take hold.

God is not a chess player
                          with the white pieces.
                          God is the sea . . .
                          and we are the fishes.

Frank A Doonan
                          Very nice, Frank. Reminds me of Jesus saying that God causes the rain to fall (a good thing) on the good and bad alike.
                          βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
                          ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Speaking in tongues again?
                            βλέπομεν γὰρ ἄρτι δι᾿ ἐσόπτρου ἐν αἰνίγματι, τότε δὲ πρόσωπον πρὸς πρόσωπον·
                            ἄρτι γινώσκω ἐκ μέρους, τότε δὲ ἐπιγνώσομαι καθὼς καὶ ἐπεγνώσθην.

אָכֵ֕ן אַתָּ֖ה אֵ֣ל מִסְתַּתֵּ֑ר אֱלֹהֵ֥י יִשְׂרָאֵ֖ל מוֹשִֽׁיעַ׃

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
                              Fellowship. "Two fellows in a ship".
                              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
                                This needs umlauts.
                                add red and green peppers, cheese and onion, and it's a Western umlaut!
                                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment