Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

A Conversion Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Conversion Story

Kirsten Powers is a noted liberal and former atheist. It is story that somewhat mirrors my own conversion experience. It is at least an interesting read.

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/...s.html?start=2

I began to read the Bible. My boyfriend would pray with me for God to reveal himself to me. After about eight months of going to hear Keller, I concluded that the weight of evidence was on the side of Christianity. But I didn't feel any connection to God, and frankly, I was fine with that. I continued to think that people who talked of hearing from God or experiencing God were either delusional or lying. In my most generous moments, I allowed that they were just imagining things that made them feel good.

Then one night in 2006, on a trip to Taiwan, I woke up in what felt like a strange cross between a dream and reality. Jesus came to me and said, "Here I am." It felt so real. I didn't know what to make of it. I called my boyfriend, but before I had time to tell him about it, he told me he had been praying the night before and felt we were supposed to break up. So we did. Honestly, while I was upset, I was more traumatized by Jesus visiting me.
    Completely True

I tried to write off the experience as misfiring synapses, but I couldn't shake it. When I returned to New York a few days later, I was lost. I suddenly felt God everywhere and it was terrifying. More important, it was unwelcome. It felt like an invasion. I started to fear I was going crazy.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Originally posted by seer View Post
    Kirsten Powers is a noted liberal and former atheist. It is story that somewhat mirrors my own conversion experience. It is at least an interesting read.

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/...s.html?start=2
    Is this an example of Holy Spirit epistemology?

Comment

The horror of the prospect of being a devout Christian crept back in almost immediately. I spent the next few months doing my best to wrestle away from God. It was pointless. Everywhere I turned, there he was. Slowly there was less fear and more joy. The Hound of Heaven had pursued me and caught me—whether I liked it or not.

I love stories like this where the "Hound of Heaven" prevails.

(for those who might not know, the "Hound of Heaven" is a poem written by English poet Francis Thompson)

(looks like cite tags work, but not yet box tags )
      Last edited by Cow Poke; 02-26-2014, 12:57 PM.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        The horror of the prospect of being a devout Christian crept back in almost immediately. I spent the next few months doing my best to wrestle away from God. It was pointless. Everywhere I turned, there he was. Slowly there was less fear and more joy. The Hound of Heaven had pursued me and caught me—whether I liked it or not.

I love stories like this where the "Hound of Heaven" prevails.

(for those who might not know, the "Hound of Heaven" is a poem written by English poet Francis Thompson)

(looks like cite tags work, but not yet box tags )
        Does the bible give any indication as to why God selectively hounds?

Comment

Originally posted by whag View Post
          Is this an example of Holy Spirit epistemology?
          I would say yes. But it is amazing how her experience was so much like mine. I understand, subjectively, exactly what she is saying - and more importantly I understand the internal sense of this.
          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

I would say yes. But it is amazing how her experience was so much like mine. I understand, subjectively, exactly what she is saying - and more importantly I understand the internal sense of this.
            Does the bible give any indication as to why God selectively hounds people, giving some unmistakable encounters while giving no experiences to others? I'm 42 and have had no such dreams, visions, or persistent feelings of etheric dread.

Comment

Does the bible give any indication as to why God selectively hounds people, giving some unmistakable encounters while giving no experiences to others? I'm 42 and have had no such dreams, visions, or persistent feelings of etheric dread.
              maybe he thinks you are an ass.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                maybe he thinks you are an ass.
                In what sense?

Comment

Christ said that to whom much is given, much is required. In other words the more light one receives to more accountable he or she is. I do believe that such encounters can be dismissed or rejected - and if rejected that person would be under greater judgment. So it is possible that God only reveals Himself in such a manner to those He knows will respond favorably, thereby sparing those that would reject Him a more severe punishment. Besides whag, you're still breathing - who knows what tomorrow will bring.

Comment

Christ said that to whom much is given, much is required. In other words the more light one receives to more accountable he or she is. I do believe that such encounters can be dismissed or rejected - and if rejected that person would be under greater judgment.
                    What's standard punishment compared to more severe punishment?

So it is possible that God only reveals Himself in such a manner to those He knows will respond favorably, thereby sparing those that would reject Him a more severe punishment. Besides whag, you're still breathing - who knows what tomorrow will bring.

It seems to me that a predisposition to believe (people like you who accept dreams and persistent dread as evidence) wouldn't require sensory intervention in the first place. Those with a skeptical disposition would seem to be most in need of strong signs.

Comment

She was one type of Christian under her father's influence, and unbeliever under her working environment's influence, and another type of Christian again under her boyfriend's Church's influence?

This is the sort of conversion story that makes skeptics more comfortable about being skeptics.

Comment

Originally posted by seasanctuary View Post
                        She was one type of Christian under her father's influence, and unbeliever under her working environment's influence, and another type of Christian again under her boyfriend's Church's influence?

This is the sort of conversion story that makes skeptics more comfortable about being skeptics.
                        Pretty much. The citation of personal gnosis is also a big tip-off. A splendid "feel-good" story for those who like it, but nothing substantive.

Comment

Originally posted by Outis View Post
                          Pretty much. The citation of personal gnosis is also a big tip-off. A splendid "feel-good" story for those who like it, but nothing substantive.
                          What would qualify as "substantial" in a conversion story?

Comment

There's major subtext in the story in the form of Tim Keller. The article strongly insinuates that Keller's acceptance of science--code for "evolution"--was critical to her taking Christianity seriously.

Tim Keller is a pretty outspoken theistic evolutionist.

Comment

What would qualify as "substantial" in a conversion story?
                              Some form of knowledge that can be transmitted.

Failing that, an obvious, physically observable change, such as the regrowth of an amputated limb, or something of that sort. Supposedly, signs like this were given in the past, yet today some Christians state that because the Bible is "complete," the signs have stopped. It seems ... convenient.

Comment