Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Adam's rib

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adam's rib

The Bible tells us that God made Eve out of one of Adam’s ribs.
    The LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon the man, and while he slept took one of his ribs and closed up its place with flesh. And the rib that the LORD God had taken from the man he made into a woman and brought her to the man.
    Genesis 2:21-22 ESV

This account is so clear that there can be no doubt about what happened. God removed a bone from Adam’s side and replaced it with flesh. He then transformed that bone into Eve, the first woman.

But there may be more to the story than that. I have seen Bibles in which there is a footnote to the word “rib” saying that it can also mean “part of a side”. And here is something I found on the site gotquestions.org.
    Why did God use Adam’s rib? A closer examination of the Hebrew also reveals another surprising element of the story. The Hebrew word translated “rib” in Genesis 2 is tsela. The only other instance of the English word rib in the Bible occurs in Daniel 7:5, but the Hebrew word used there is different. In other passages where tselaor its variants are used, the word is translated “side.” For example, in Exodus 25, 27, and 35, the words tselo(variant) and tselot (plural) are used to refer to the “sides” of the Ark of the Covenant or the “sides” of the altar. In 2 Samuel 16:13, David encounters a cursing Shimei moving along the side (tsela) of a hill. In these contexts, translating the word tsela as “rib” would not fit.

This raises the possibility that Eve could have been fashioned of more than just Adam’s rib. In the Genesis 2 passage, tsela could actually be translated as Adam’s “side,” rather than Adam’s “rib.” If the appropriate translation is that God removed Adam’s side, how much of his side did God remove? It is possible that Eve was constructed literally from half of Adam. This would bring added meaning to Adam’s declaration that Eve was “bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh” (Genesis 2:23).

http://www.gotquestions.org/Adams-rib.html

If Eve was made from Adam’s side rather than just his rib, what did that side consist of? We can find a possible answer by examining the details of how Adam and Eve were created.
    Then God said, “Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. And let them have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over the livestock and over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.”

So God created man in his own image,
    in the image of God he created him;
    male and female he created them.

And God blessed them. And God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth and subdue it, and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over every living thing that moves on the earth.”
    Genesis 1:26-28 ESV

God created man as both male and female on the sixth day. The second chapter of Genesis describes this creation in more detail. First God created Adam.
    The LORD God formed the man of dust from the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living creature.
    Genesis 2:7 ESV

After this God made a garden and put Adam in charge of it. He then had Adam give names to all of the animals and birds. It was only after this that he made Eve. It seems unlikely that all of this could have been accomplished in a single day. If Eve was not created on the sixth day the only way man could be created male and female would be for Adam to have been androgynous, both male and female. The “side” or “rib” that was used to make Eve was the female part of him.
    The brutal, soul-shaking truth is that we are so earthly minded we are of no heavenly use.
    Leonard Ravenhill

https://clydeherrin.wordpress.com/

Originally posted by theophilus View Post
    If Eve was not created on the sixth day the only way man could be created male and female would be for Adam to have been androgynous, both male and female. The “side” or “rib” that was used to make Eve was the female part of him.
    Wow.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

. . . androgynous . . .
      No.

Man even today has an X and Y chromosome.
      . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

... That is one theory. He could have been a hermaphrodite, I've never heard that claim before, and I think its an odd one unsubstantiated by Scripture, or Tradition.
        Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith? -Galatians 3:5

Comment

Originally posted by Pentecost View Post
          ... That is one theory. He could have been a hermaphrodite, I've never heard that claim before, and I think its an odd one unsubstantiated by Scripture, or Tradition.
          It might not be clearly taught in Scripture but there is plenty of traditional support. Just do a search for "was adam androgynous" and see how many results you get.
          The brutal, soul-shaking truth is that we are so earthly minded we are of no heavenly use.
          Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

It might not be clearly taught in Scripture but there is plenty of traditional support. Just do a search for "was adam androgynous" and see how many results you get.
            "Tradition", as in Church Tradition? Or simply "common theories"? I'm guessing that Pent used a Capital T on purpose when he mentioned Tradition.
            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              "Tradition", as in Church Tradition? Or simply "common theories"? I'm guessing that Pent used a Capital T on purpose when he mentioned Tradition.
              Mostly Jewish tradition. I have found several sites which said that some Jewish teachers have thought that Adam was androgynous.
              Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Mostly Jewish tradition. I have found several sites which said that some Jewish teachers have thought that Adam was androgynous.
                Ah, in some Jewish [and the occult] teaching you can find the teaching that G-d is androgynous.
                . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  Indeed, I was referring to "Church Tradition" not any sort of midrash or kabbalistic ideas. Jewish background knowledge can often be helpful, but rarely such obscure theories even within Judaism.

To 37818, I have heard Christians express that God is more than male or female, but has revealed Himself primarily in the form of a Father, and a Son, but is not worried about His Scriptures sometimes portraying Him as possessing feminine aspects, and is in some way both male and female and I have no issue with this theology as I have heard it taught, but Adam being a hermaphrodite prior to Eve is something else entirely imo.
                  Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith? -Galatians 3:5

Comment

Is my face red! Here I was telling KG over in Christianity 201, "Sinlessness", that he should not expect any reply from you because the Rapture just happened today at the start of All Saints Day, November 1. But you didn't get raptured after all. (Maybe your face should be red also.)
                    Near the Peoples' Republic of Davis, south of the State of Jefferson (Suspended between Left and Right)

Comment

To 37818, I have heard Christians express that God is more than male or female, but has revealed Himself primarily in the form of a Father, and a Son, but is not worried about His Scriptures sometimes portraying Him as possessing feminine aspects, and is in some way both male and female and I have no issue with this theology as I have heard it taught, but Adam being a hermaphrodite prior to Eve is something else entirely imo.
                      Please give me one example of such a Christian group. So I may check it out. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                        Please give me one example of such a Christian group. So I may check it out. Thanks.
                        I do not know if there are any groups, I just know I've heard it expressed, most recently by the assistant academic dean of my Bible College during a lecture on the Holy Spirit he called Him, "Her" and when students expressed surprise the professor pointed out some OT Scriptures where God is portrayed with feminine aspects, I recall that he said something about the Hebrew of Genesis 1:2 when the Spirit is resting over the waters that it has a connotation of a mother hen resting over her eggs or something close to that, its been a few weeks and I do not think I wrote it down anywhere because it won't be on an exam haha

rstrats, I do not pay attention to false prophets who rumor monger about the day and the hour so I had no idea what you were talking about until I looked it up.

Comment

I do not know if there are any groups, I just know I've heard it expressed, most recently by the assistant academic dean of my Bible College during a lecture on the Holy Spirit he called Him, "Her" and when students expressed surprise the professor pointed out some OT Scriptures where God is portrayed with feminine aspects, I recall that he said something about the Hebrew of Genesis 1:2 when the Spirit is resting over the waters that it has a connotation of a mother hen resting over her eggs or something close to that, its been a few weeks and I do not think I wrote it down anywhere because it won't be on an exam haha
                          The Hebrew for "Spirit" is feminine.
                          So the two spirits, wisdom and understanding are to be called sister and kinswoman (Proverbs 7:4).

That does not make the Holy Spirit a Her.

"The words of the Preacher, the son of David, king in Jerusalem." -- Ecclesiastes 1:1. The word translated "Preacher" is feminine and refers to David's son Solomon.

Comment

Some time ago I wound up subscribing to some bible archeology thing... they had a freebie ebook that I thought might be interesting to read, been getting emails ever since. Anyhow, some article that they linked to had someone postulating that it was not Adam's rib but rather his... penis bone. I don't really feel like looking up the article, but in case any one wants to read about this rather... weird thing that I did not know existed, have at it. Wikipedia makes mention of this theory also.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baculum

It certainly would be an interesting twist on the subject.

Originally posted by wikipedia
                            It has been argued that the "rib" in the biblical story of Adam and Eve is actually a mistranslation of a Biblical Hebrew euphemism for baculum, and that its removal from Adam in the Book of Genesis is a creation story to explain this absence (as well as the presence of the perineal raphe– as a resultant 'scar') in humans.
                            No Silicon Heaven? Preposterous! Where would all the calculators go?

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X