Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Trinity Explained...by the Bible!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
    The LORD [Self-Existent] is God and there is none else. Omni-present, eternal and not seen. All visible manifistions of God are local, finite appearances who we know as the Son of God, who is both with God and always was God. They are of the of the same essence whom we know as the [Holy] Spirit. Three in Persons being the one God.

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: . . ." -- Deuteronomy 6:4.

It so happens where the Hebrew text speaks of Adam and Eve as one flesh, it is the same word used for the LORD being one LORD.
    Sorry, you just described modalism.
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

Originally posted by mrsticky005 View Post
      The Trinity is one of the biggest mysteries of Christianity. Some call it a contradiction.
      There have been many attempts to explain the Trinity. But all of them fail at some point.

Except the one that the Bible itself shows us.

Adam and Eve are two persons. But Eve was created FROM Adam's Rib.
      Adam says that Eve is bone of his bones and flesh of his flesh. And it's LITERALLY true!

Because of this, a man and a woman join together in marriage and become...ONE flesh.

So here we have...

Two persons.
      One Flesh.

and with the Trinity we have

Three persons
      One God
      MrSticky,

I am sorry this was so upsetting to you, and regret that you felt it necessary to spew forth obscenities. You probably felt "jumped on", but I don't really think it justified your behavior. You might want to think about an apology.

Meanwhile, ALL analogies of the Trinity fail at some point (usually very early) because the Trinity is a truly unique concept.

Here's the major problem, in my opinion, with your proposed analogy here....

A) You have two CREATED beings who are distinctly separate physical beings.
      2) Adam and Even figuratively "became one flesh" - they still remained two distinctly separate physical beings.

If I say "Mrs CP and I have been married so long (40 years any day now) we have one brain and one heart" -- no sane person would assume I intended that literally. In marriage, we "became one flesh", but there's absolutely no doubt that she, right now, is 50 miles away at her workplace, and I am in my home office.

With all due respect, MrSticky, this is not one of the better analogies I've seen.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
        Not modalism. Just equating on echad
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
          Not modalism. Just equating on echad
          I think I had trouble figuring out what number guy said. Translation?

Comment

Basically he just said that there is only one God comprised of three co-equal and co-eternal persons, and that any time humans "see" God, it is the Son that we see, even the manifestations of the OT. Then he equivocates on the term echad translated "one"
            That's what
            - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
            - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
            - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Prove this. Modelism denies God to be three Persons.
              . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Prove this. Modelism denies God to be three Persons.
                Sorry, I just got confused when reading your post.

Comment

The following link will further explain what BtC said. http://www.bible.ca/trinity/trinity-...d-vs-echad.htm
                  . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Sorry, I just got confused when reading your post.
                    No problem.
                    After I had logged off I realized it would have been better had I ask you why you thought I was presenting modalism.

Comment

The following link will further explain what BtC said. http://www.bible.ca/trinity/trinity-...d-vs-echad.htm
                      Not bible.ca!!!! It has wacky ideas!!! Lets just say it inspired my parody fundy(to be found in the poop deck, I have a whole thread for my straw fundy) to claim that if you can't find something in the Bible, then that something ain't allowed.

Comment

Number guy? If you punch 37818 into a calculator and then it upside down it reads BIBLE
                        Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
                        1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
                        -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Raphael View Post
                          Number guy? If you punch 37818 into a calculator and then it upside down it reads BIBLE
                          Oh! Never realized that!

Comment

Oh! Never realized that!
                            So, instead of calling him "number guy" you can call him "upside down Bible guy".

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by mrsticky005 View Post
                              The Trinity is one of the biggest mysteries of Christianity. Some call it a contradiction.
                              There have been many attempts to explain the Trinity. But all of them fail at some point.

Except the one that the Bible itself shows us.

Adam and Eve are two persons. But Eve was created FROM Adam's Rib.
                              Adam says that Eve is bone of his bones and flesh of his flesh. And it's LITERALLY true!

Because of this, a man and a woman join together in marriage and become...ONE flesh.

So here we have...

Two persons.
                              One Flesh.

and with the Trinity we have

Three persons
                              One God
                              But maybe the hardest part is thinking about what is meant when we say three persons, one nature. We don't think in terms of person and nature in our daily life, when we meet distinct persons we also meet persons with the same type of nature, human nature, but not the same nature.

Then add in ideas of persons without material bodies, divine persons, infinite beings, self existent beings; those are all outside our experience.

What are some of the ways two people do become one with respect to marriage?

Comment

Originally posted by simplicio View Post
                                But maybe the hardest part is thinking about what is meant when we say three persons, one nature. We don't think in terms of person and nature in our daily life, when we meet distinct persons we also meet persons with the same type of nature, human nature, but not the same nature.

Then add in ideas of persons without material bodies, divine persons, infinite beings, self existent beings; those are all outside our experience.

What are some of the ways two people do become one with respect to marriage?
                                Just so you know, the user you responded to has been banned and won't be responding.
                                "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X