Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Does God have an individual plan for everyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
    Okay. Are you a Calvinist? Because I don't hold to all five points of TULIP. And ultimately it does not matter what you or I think. And we all have misconceptions.
    Far far from it... Reformed Theology embraces God micromanaging all of creation...

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
      My question that I struggle with on this topic is: is God's plan for your life necessarily going to be enjoyable?
      I don't think we are promised a life of enjoyment...although, Paul and James tell us to count it joy or rejoice in our trials and tribulations, that God will build character and hope, and work it all together for good...(not necessarily OUR good)
      "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
        I don't think we are promised a life of enjoyment...although, Paul and James tell us to count it joy or rejoice in our trials and tribulations, that God will build character and hope, and work it all together for good...(not necessarily OUR good)
        Yes, it reminds me of how when Paul was called, Ananias was told that Paul would have much to suffer.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

God's will is for you to be filled with the Spirit. If you are filled with the Spirit you can do whatever you like.

Comment

Originally posted by The1islooking View Post
            God's will is for you to be filled with the Spirit. If you are filled with the Spirit you can do whatever you like.
            ??? Only if you want to do the right thing.
            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Meaning what? Is hedonism part of that supposed "freedom"
              That's what
              - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
              - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
              - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

See here.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                  Meaning what? Is hedonism part of that supposed "freedom"
                  It is if you ask the Christian Hedonist, John Piper.
                  We know J6 wasn’t peaceful because they didn’t set the building on fire.

Comment

This has pretty much already been noted here, but I think it's kind of funny that there is actually a passage that basically says, "This is the will of God for your life:"

I Thessalonians 4:3
                    For this is the will of God, your sanctification; that is, that you abstain from sexual immorality;
                    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

I was more ranting against preachers who teach God has a "Wonderful" plan for your life. God has a plan for my life but I necessarily believe from a human standpoint it is necessarily wonderful.
                      "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by alaskazimm View Post
                        It is if you ask the Christian Hedonist, John Piper.
                        I think Piper is wrong. I know he means "hedonism" in a different sense than the world means it, but I don't think this is the proper concept to try to reclaim, especially in our pleasure mad society.
                        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                          I think Piper is wrong. I know he means "hedonism" in a different sense than the world means it, but I don't think this is the proper concept to try to reclaim, especially in our pleasure mad society.
                          I agree with this. I think he takes the life abundantly concept and goes to far with it.
                          We know J6 wasn’t peaceful because they didn’t set the building on fire.

Comment

I think that in some Calvinists' view, God does not micromanage. Rather, in creating the universe, God created not only its past and present, he also created its future at the same time. We somehow go through the space-time of the universe not knowing what will happen.
                            The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
                              I think that in some Calvinists' view, God does not micromanage. Rather, in creating the universe, God created not only its past and present, he also created its future at the same time. We somehow go through the space-time of the universe not knowing what will happen.
                              That's also a molinist view as well. It reminds me of a deist view though...God set everything in place and now sits back and just watches what He's already set in motion....
                              "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

It reminds me of a deist view though...God set everything in place and now sits back and just watches what He's already set in motion....
                                To be clear, in the Calvinist view (and possibly also molinist [not familiar with it]), God knows everything--past, present, and future in a sort of timeless existence.
                                The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X