Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Query: What, in your view, is the purpose of being Christian?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Query: What, in your view, is the purpose of being Christian?

I've got a video idea in the works so I've been asking people over Google+ and other places what they think the point of their being Christian is.

Of course I've had the "for the glory of God" answer multiple times, and while true, I do require an explanation as to what you think that means. Be mindful that I might quote you for my next video if you answer so please let me know in your answer if you'd rather I didn't.

That question can be taken more than one way. Do you mean what is our purpose as Christians or what is the purpose of becoming one?
    That's what
    - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
    - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
    - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
      That question can be taken more than one way. Do you mean what is our purpose as Christians or what is the purpose of becoming one?
      I mean the former. What is the point of doing Christianity?

Comment

I believe every person has a hole in them that can only be filled by a true and right relationship with God. We ruin this relationship by repeatedly and even wantonly committing sin. Christianity, at it's core, is the restoration of that relationship, through the love of God, by His Son, Jesus. We could not heal our relationship by ourselves, but God, in His infinite love for us, heals it for us if we but simply accept it. By finally being forgiven...and therefore, being able to forgive others, it let's us live a life of joy and peace, which we attempt to share with others that they too might come into a right relationship with God and experience that same joy and peace in their own lives.
        Last edited by Littlejoe; 05-17-2015, 02:17 PM.
        "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Our purpose is to love the Lord our God with our heart, soul, mind, and strength.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by TheBaldie View Post
            I mean the former. What is the point of doing Christianity?
            To have life, and have it abundantly.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              Our purpose is to love the Lord our God with our heart, soul, mind, and strength.
              And our neighbor as ourselves.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                And our neighbor as ourselves.
                I see that as somewhat ancillary, but yeah.
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Actually the major way we express our love of God is to love our neighbors.
                  Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

We're His kids - it's a good thing to have a loving relationship with your Parent. It's a good thing - what more does it need to be?
                    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                      I see that as somewhat ancillary, but yeah.
                      Mk 12:30 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’[a] 31 The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[b] There is no commandment greater than these.”

I was just covering all the bases. (OK, at least first and second)
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Be holy as He is holy.
                        Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith? -Galatians 3:5

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                          Mk 12:30 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’[a] 31 The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[b] There is no commandment greater than these.”

I was just covering all the bases. (OK, at least first and second)
                          I was thinking more global picture than commandments per se. In the beginning, we were created for fellowship with God. Jesus Christ came to restore the fellowship broken in the Fall.

sigpic

Comment

"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man. For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil." -- Ecclesiastes 12:13-14.

"Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God." -- Romans 1:19.

"Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith." -- Galatians 3:24.

To know God as a person:
                            ". . . this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." -- John 17:3.
                            . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Our purpose in being a Christian is to love the Lord and be salt and light to the world.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X