Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

God is Awesome!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• God is Awesome!

Discuss the awesomeness of God. Because He is awesome. Creating everything is awesome. The incarnation and resurrection and everything in between is awesome.
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
    Discuss the awesomeness of God. Because He is awesome. Creating everything is awesome. The incarnation and resurrection and everything in between is awesome.
    Awesome in WAY more than people use the word "awesome" today -- like "that concert was AWESOME".

God is Awesome in the way that you just stand (or sit or lay) in awe. THAT kind of Awesome.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Awesome in WAY more than people use the word "awesome" today -- like "that concert was AWESOME".

God is Awesome in the way that you just stand (or sit or lay) in awe. THAT kind of Awesome.
      The kind of awe that's scary. In a good way?

Comment

The kind of awe that's scary. In a good way?
        Could actually be! Like when John was so awed by the presence of Christ that he fell as a dead man.

Rev 1:17 When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. Then he placed his right hand on me and said: "Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

We do not have enough awe of the Lord.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Creation is the empirical evidence of God (Genesis 1:1; Psalm 19:1-4; Romans 10:17-18; John 1:3; Colossians 1:16-18). And He has put knowing even in us, ". . . Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; . . . " (Romans 1:18-19). Yet because of the fall (Romans 5:12) we not having the good news of Christ's death and resurrection being told to us, are oblivious to this truth. ". . . There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.

That we can know God as a Person through His Son is awesome, in this is how we have and know we have eternal life.

". . . And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent." -- John 17:3.

". . . He that hath the Son hath life; . . . that ye may know that ye have eternal life, . . . And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true, and we are in him that is true, [even] in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life." -- 1 John 12, 13, 20.
            . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
              We do not have enough awe of the Lord.
              Yeah, Jesus is not "my buddy".

Comment

Yeah, Jesus is not "my buddy".
                He is our Lord and Savior. By whom we know God. God is not our buddy - He is the awesome God. Which without Christ's holiness we cannot approach.
                . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Not big fans of John 15? I understand emphasizing his lordship, but He told the Twelve He was their friend, and I feel perfectly comfortable with Jesus being both my Lord and my friend, these are not mutually exclusive.
                  Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith? -Galatians 3:5

Comment

Originally posted by Pentecost View Post
                    Not big fans of John 15? I understand emphasizing his lordship, but He told the Twelve He was their friend, and I feel perfectly comfortable with Jesus being both my Lord and my friend, these are not mutually exclusive.
                    "Friend" can be WAY different than "buddy".

Comment

God is quite awesome, isn't he?

May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all. (2Cor. 13:14).

Comment

Originally posted by Pentecost View Post
                        I don't see what kind of application John 15 has to the question of whether Jesus is our buddy/friend or not. As you've already indicated, Jesus words there are intended for the Twelve, I don't see how it is applicable to every Christian ever to walk on this earth.

Comment

"Friend" can be WAY different than "buddy".
                          I absolutely agree. Buddies don't care what shenannagans you get up to so long as they can come too, friends are ready to come along beside you and help you through your troubles.

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                          I don't see what kind of application John 15 has to the question of whether Jesus is our buddy/friend or not. As you've already indicated, Jesus words there are intended for the Twelve, I don't see how it is applicable to every Christian ever to walk on this earth.
                          By telling that to the Twelve it means that any human who interacts with Him has the potential to be his friend, and I am not certain that all Christians can call Christ friend, but I think all mature Christians may.
                          Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith? -Galatians 3:5

Comment

What do y'all think of this hymn?

Comment

What do y'all think of this hymn?
                              That's one of my favorite songs as it tells the story of Jesus and I feel it also draws attention to His power and indeed awesomeness. Especially the line "no power of hell, no scheme of man/can ever pluck me from His hand"--Jesus is sovereign and almighty and those of us who call Him Lord can rest in the knowledge that nobody can oppose Him. He has overcome the world.

As well, the line "scorned by the ones He came to save" illustrates His omni-benevolent love and heroic sacrifice. Imagine enduring what Jesus suffered for those who hate you. That is truly divine love, a level of compassion and sheer goodness that should make us stand in utter awe.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X