Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

What are the essentials of the genuine Christian faith?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the essentials of the genuine Christian faith?

This is at issue.
    Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Originally posted by 37818 View Post
    Only where tradition is contrary or different from the plain teaching of holy scripture. And then only in matters of interpretation which are not essentials to the genuine Christian faith.
    We disagree both on the "plain teaching" and what are the essentials.
    Last edited by 37818; 03-28-2015, 05:50 PM.
    . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

:gasp: Dare we attempt to improve on Mere Christianity?:swoon:
    The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

I'm missing the context of the OP so at the risk of being totally off base, I'll respond...

What I view as the essentials are:
      • God exists as a Trinity
      • He is Creator and Sustainer of all that is seen and unseen.
      • Jesus Christ was incarnate as fully God and fully man.
      • Jesus Christ paid for my sins by His sacrifice on the cross (aka Substitutionary Atonement)
      • On the third day, He was bodily Resurrected from grave. He later ascended to Heaven and is seated at the right hand of God.
      • The Bible is God's revelation to man. It is inerrant in the original manuscripts. It is His only written revelation and needs no addition.

I think that's all I would consider essential.
      "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

I would add to TM's list as follows.
        • Jesus Christ paid for my sins by His sacrifice on the cross (aka Substitutionary Atonement)
        • On the third day, He was bodily Resurrected from grave. He later ascended to Heaven and is seated at the right hand of God.
        • The Return of Christ to judge and rule over all men.
        • The resurrection of all dead Christians and the transforming of our bodies to a glorified state.
        • The Final Judgement.
        • The Bible is God's revelation to man. It is authorative in all it teaches. It is His only written revelation and needs no addition.

Anyone who denies the return of Christ, the future resurrection of the saints or that there will be a final judgement are IMO outside the fold of Christian orthodoxy.

The last point I'm a bit hesitant about. I'm not sure what TM means by "needs no addition", so I can't affirm or deny it until he expounds on it.

ETA: Made a little amendation to the list.
        Last edited by JonathanL; 03-29-2015, 07:36 PM.

Comment

I don't view inerrancy as an essential worth breaking fellowship over given how confusing the word can be. I prefer to say that the Bible is authoritative in what it teaches.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
            I don't view inerrancy as an essential worth breaking fellowship over given how confusing the word can be. I prefer to say that the Bible is authoritative in what it teaches.
            That's probably a more apt description. I'm amending the list I stole from TM to reflect that.

I do hold to the inerrancy of the original manuscripts however, I just don't think it's an essential doctrine.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
              The last point I'm a bit hesitant about. I'm not sure what TM means by "needs no addition", so I can't affirm or deny it until he expounds on it.
              Probably referring to us Charismatics who believe that (along with the other gifts) that the gift of prophecy is still active today.

I won't drag this off into a debate on that topic, but to note that 99% of us Charismatics do not consider the prophetic gift as being the equivalent to adding to Scripture. (you have the whackos, but they are whackos, so ignore them)
              Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
              1 Corinthians 16:13

"...he [Doherty] is no historian and he is not even conversant with the historical discussions of the very matters he wants to pontificate on."
              -Ben Witherington III

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
                I'm missing the context of the OP so at the risk of being totally off base, I'll respond...

What I view as the essentials are:
                • The Bible is God's revelation to man. It is inerrant in the original manuscripts. It is His only written revelation and needs no addition.

I think that's all I would consider essential.
                37818 thinks that Jesus had two natures before his incarnation, and believes that Jesus was not begotten of the Father, but is unoriginate. I believe that a correct Christology is essential, and his is manifestly not.
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                  37818 thinks that Jesus had two natures before his incarnation, and believes that Jesus was not begotten of the Father, but is unoriginate. I believe that a correct Christology is essential, and his is manifestly not.
                  First, please explain how either of those two interpretations contradicts any essential of the Christian faith.
                  Secondly, these are two issues, not simply one.

The Son of God as God is coeternal with God the Father.
                  ". . . understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me. I, even I, am the LORD; and beside me there is no saviour." -- Isaiah 43:10, 11.
                  God is not begotten.

All appearances of the LORD was always by way of the Son of God (John 1:18 NKJV; Luke 10:22). The invisible in nature is reveled by the one who also has a visible nature.

The Father, Son and Holy Spirit are the one LORD God (Mark 12:29).
                  . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
                    :gasp: Dare we attempt to improve on Mere Christianity?:swoon:
                    As I recall it makes no mention of the Resurrection. That's hardly mere Christianity.

Comment

Originally posted by chrawnus View Post
                      i would add to tm's list as follows.
                      Apostle's creed
                      tl;dr, ftfy.

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
                        tl;dr, ftfy.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                          I would add to TM's list as follows.
                          • The Return of Christ to judge and rule over all men.
                          • The resurrection of all dead Christians and the transforming of our bodies to a glorified state.
                          • The Final Judgement.
                          • The Bible is God's revelation to man. It is authorative in all it teaches. It is His only written revelation and needs no addition.

Anyone who denies the return of Christ, the future resurrection of the saints or that there will be a final judgement are IMO outside the fold of Christian orthodoxy.

ETA: Made a little amendation to the list.
                          I like your additions. I'm not sure I would add much more. At some point, non-essentials start creeping in and try to be an essential.

"Needs no addition" = I'm trying to prevent something like the Book of Mormon being elevated to the same level as Scripture.
                          "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

"Needs no addition" = I'm trying to prevent something like the Book of Mormon being elevated to the same level as Scripture.
                            So basically that the canon is closed? I agree with that (though I'm not interested in debating anybody over it right now).
                            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Why should that be necessary? The ancient Christians had no end of false 'gospels' but as far as I can tell there was no creedal statement on what the Scriptures include or exclude.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X