Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Unpacking Foreknowledge vs. Foreseeing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unpacking Foreknowledge vs. Foreseeing

In another thread, 37818 made this statement:

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
    God is omniscient. God's foreknowledge is just that, knowing those who are His. Foreknowledge does not mean foreseeing.
    In order to not derail that thread, I have started this one for him to respond and expound on what he means by this statement. I don't see an appreciable difference between the two.

If you agree or disagree with his statement, feel free to join the discussion.
    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Um, maybe he thinks that foreseeing means that it's not 100% certain? I really don't know on this one either.

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
      In another thread, 37818 made this statement:

In order to not derail that thread, I have started this one for him to respond and expound on what he means by this statement. I don't see an appreciable difference between the two.

If you agree or disagree with his statement, feel free to join the discussion.
      I'm not seeing the distinction either.
      "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

The word of God uses "foreseeing" twice in the NT.

David as a prophet speaking of Christ's bodily resurrection:
        ". . . He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption. . . ." -- Acts 2:27

And the Apostle Paul saying how holy scripture foresaw salvation for the nations through Abraham,
        ". . . And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, [saying], In thee shall all nations be blessed. . . ." -- Galatians 3:8.

Now NT holy scripture speaks of foreknowing (Strong in his dictionary sees it same as foresees):

". . . My manner of life from my youth, which was at the first among mine own nation at Jerusalem, know all the Jews; Which knew me from the beginning, if they would testify, that after the most straitest sect of our religion I lived a Pharisee. . . ." -- Acts 26:4, 5.

". . . For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate [to be] conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren. . . ." -- Romans 8:29.

". . . God hath not cast away his people which he foreknew. Wot ye not what the scripture saith of Elias? how he maketh intercession to God against Israel, saying, . . ." -- Romans 11:2.

". . . who was foreknown indeed before the foundation of the world, but was manifested at the end of times for your sake, . . ." -- 1 Peter 1:20. ASV (KJV was foreordained)

". . . Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know [these things] before, beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own stedfastness. . . ." -- 2 Peter 3:17. (ASV knowing [these things] beforehand}
        Last edited by 37818; 03-15-2015, 05:49 PM.
        . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

There is no difference.
          That's what
          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

The word of God uses "foreseeing" twice in the NT.

David as a prophet speaking of Christ's bodily resurrection:
            ". . . He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption. . . ." -- Acts 2:27

And the Apostle Paul saying how holy scripture foresaw salvation for the nations through Abraham,
            ". . . And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, [saying], In thee shall all nations be blessed. . . ." -- Galatians 3:8.

Now NT holy scripture speaks of foreknowing (Strong in his dictionary sees it same as foresees):

". . . My manner of life from my youth, which was at the first among mine own nation at Jerusalem, know all the Jews; Which knew me from the beginning, if they would testify, that after the most straitest sect of our religion I lived a Pharisee. . . ." -- Acts 26:4, 5.

". . . For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate [to be] conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren. . . ." -- Romans 8:29.

". . . God hath not cast away his people which he foreknew. Wot ye not what the scripture saith of Elias? how he maketh intercession to God against Israel, saying, . . ." -- Romans 11:2.

". . . who was foreknown indeed before the foundation of the world, but was manifested at the end of times for your sake, . . ." -- 1 Peter 1:20. ASV (KJV was foreordained)

". . . Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know [these things] before, beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own stedfastness. . . ." -- 2 Peter 3:17. (ASV knowing [these things] beforehand}
            The fact that two different terms are used for the same thing doesn't make them different. To me that's like saying Faith in God and Trust in God aren't the same thing. Two different terms, but the same thing. You seem to be saying there is a difference...I'm still not seeing it.
            "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

The fact that two different terms are used for the same thing doesn't make them different. To me that's like saying Faith in God and Trust in God aren't the same thing. Two different terms, but the same thing. You seem to be saying there is a difference...I'm still not seeing it.
              Well one has to do with "sight" and the other has to do with "knowing." Anyway there are more references. Acts 2:27 reference should have been verse 31.

". . . Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain: . . ." -- Acts 2:23.

The idea of God needing to foresee is contrary to His immutability and omniscience. To make sense of this, it is easier for us to wrap our minds around it looking at it as foreseeing. Our choices are real. We frame it as free will. We are self willed beings. And how we can make different choices and that God already knows, it is just easier for us to think of it as foreseeing. [Others what to frame it and say our ability to choose does not really exist. Which is not true, we can and do make self willed choices.]
              Last edited by 37818; 03-16-2015, 09:51 PM.
              . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Well one has to do with "sight" and the other has to do with "knowing." Anyway there are more references. Acts 2:27 reference should have been verse 31.

". . . Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain: . . ." -- Acts 2:23.

The idea of God needing to foresee is contrary to His immutability and omniscience. To make sense of this, it is easier for us to wrap our minds around it looking at it as foreseeing. Our choices are real. We frame it as free will. We are self willed beings. And how we can make different choices and that God already knows, it is just easier for us to think of it as foreseeing.
                Ah! Ok, you are using them in a semantic range based on how we perceive it rather than an actual difference. Is that correct?

[Others what to frame it and say our ability to choose does not really exist. Which is not true, we can and do make self willed choices.]
                No, we can't, if Gods foreknowledge or foreseeing is absolute, then He already knows every decision we will ever make. Logically therefore, it must happen exactly as He knows it. Since we could not do other than what God already knows to be true, we therefore cannot do otherwise. Therefore, (logically) we can't make free will decisions, it just seems that way...which is why I'm an Open Theist.

Comment

Ah! Ok, you are using them in a semantic range based on how we perceive it rather than an actual difference. Is that correct?

No, we can't, if Gods foreknowledge or foreseeing is absolute, then He already knows every decision we will ever make. Logically therefore, it must happen exactly as He knows it. Since we could not do other than what God already knows to be true, we therefore cannot do otherwise. Therefore, (logically) we can't make free will decisions, it just seems that way...which is why I'm an Open Theist.
                  Sure we can. God creates the world based on His foreknowledge of our decision before that world was even created. Were we to choose something else, God would have never foreknown the first thing, and the world would have been created in which our choice was made real. He can not "unknow" what He knows, but the cause of its existence is the foreknowledge of the free will decision.
                  That's what
                  - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                  - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill the Cat View Post
                    Sure we can. God creates the world based on His foreknowledge of our decision before that world was even created. Were we to choose something else, God would have never foreknown the first thing, and the world would have been created in which our choice was made real. He can not "unknow" what He knows, but the cause of its existence is the foreknowledge of the free will decision.
                    http://www.monergism.com/thethreshol.../foreseen.html

While our choices are real. God foreknows through the sanctification of the Spirit. It is not do to us meriting by God foreseeing our choice. Our choice is do to the sanctification of the Spirit unto obedience (1 Peter 1:2).

Comment

http://www.monergism.com/thethreshol.../foreseen.html

While our choices are real. God foreknows through the sanctification of the Spirit. It is not do to us meriting by God foreseeing our choice. Our choice is do to the sanctification of the Spirit unto obedience (1 Peter 1:2).
                      I am having difficulty determining what you are saying here. The proper usage here is DUE to , not "do to". See the end note here: http://public.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/dueto.html

The phrase "through the sanctifying work of the Spirit" refers to being chosen by God based on His foreknowledge, as does the phrase "to be obedient to Jesus Christ". Because God foreknows us and our choice to accept Christ, He chooses us before the world was made, sanctifies us at the time we display the faith He foreknew, and empowers us to do the good works of Christ.
                      That's what
                      - She

- Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

Bill, You can certainly believe that if you want, but I continue to assert that it's not logical...because, if God knows every single thing I will ever do, or will ever not do, and knows it from eternity, and creates a world based on that knowledge, all you have done is pushed the decision back to before the world was created...but God still decides what I do based on what world he chooses to create. (If I understand your argument correctly). You see, when God settles on creating a world; one where he already knows all the decisions that are going to be made, at that point, all my decisions are already "made", and which ones I make are predetermined by God. AFAICS, it makes no difference whether my choices are settled in God's mind an eternity before I make them (or the day before I make them) the very fact that they are settled an eternity before I make them means that I am not the one who settles them. God does.

Comment

Bill, You can certainly believe that if you want, but I continue to assert that it's not logical...because, if God knows every single thing I will ever do, or will ever not do, and knows it from eternity, and creates a world based on that knowledge, all you have done is pushed the decision back to before the world was created...but God still decides what I do based on what world he chooses to create. (If I understand your argument correctly). You see, when God settles on creating a world; one where he already knows all the decisions that are going to be made, at that point, all my decisions are already "made", and which ones I make are predetermined by God. AFAICS, it makes no difference whether my choices are settled in God's mind an eternity before I make them (or the day before I make them) the very fact that they are settled an eternity before I make them means that I am not the one who settles them. God does.
                          The thing you do not grasp is that God is infinite in His omniscience. We are finite. And there is no way in the finite scheme of things we can make it logical. [Except accepting it as true for God, that He fully knows our choices we make without exception. And we are responsible for our choices.]

Comment

I am having difficulty determining what you are saying here. The proper usage here is DUE to , not "do to". See the end note here: http://public.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/dueto.html

The phrase "through the sanctifying work of the Spirit" refers to being chosen by God based on His foreknowledge, as does the phrase "to be obedient to Jesus Christ". Because God foreknows us and our choice to accept Christ, He chooses us before the world was made, sanctifies us at the time we display the faith He foreknew, and empowers us to do the good works of Christ.
                            First, thank you. If my life depended on grammar, spelling and punctuation, I would have been dead beginning with 3rd grade, if not sooner.

God's choosing us in time, as is, before time is due to being through sanctification of the Spirit. Before time: see 1 Peter 1:2, in time: see 2 Thessalonians 2:13, 14. Without which, we would all be toast (Romans 3:11).
                            Last edited by 37818; 03-18-2015, 08:47 PM. Reason: more corrections

Comment

The thing you do not grasp is that God is infinite in His omniscience. We are finite. And there is no way in the finite scheme of things we can make it logical. [Except accepting it as true for God, that He fully knows our choices we make without exception. And we are responsible for our choices.]
                              You are not getting that from scripture, you are getting that from tradition...and St. Augustine, who got it from the Greeks. Nowhere in scripture does it say that God knows everything

Jeremiah 3:6,7 NASB - Then the Lord said to me in the days of Josiah the king, “Have you seen what faithless Israel did? She went up on every high hill and under every green tree, and she was a harlot there. 7I thought, ‘After she has done all these things she will return to Me’; but she did not return, and her treacherous sister Judah saw it.

God Thought Israel would turn back to Him, but she doesn't

Isaiah 5:1-4 - 1: Let me sing now for my well-beloved
                              A song of my beloved concerning His vineyard.
                              My well-beloved had a vineyard on a fertile hill.
                              2: He dug it all around, removed its stones,
                              And planted it with the choicest vine
                              And He built a tower in the middle of it
                              And also hewed out a wine vat in it;
                              Then [b]He expected[/b] it to produce good grapes,
                              But it produced only worthless ones.
                              3: "And now, O inhabitants of Jerusalem and men of Judah,
                              Judge between Me and My vineyard.
                              4: "What more was there to do for My vineyard that I have not done in it?
                              Why, when I expected it to produce good grapes did it produce worthless ones?
                              God thinks it will be one way, but it doesn't turn out like he Planned.
                              Last edited by Littlejoe; 03-18-2015, 10:04 PM.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X