Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Rule of Faith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 37818 View Post
    The first list is how we come to know [anything]. The second list is what we come to know as a Christian. Based on the witness of holy Scripture.
    The Holy Spirit don't need no sinkin' lists.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The first list is how we come to know [anything]. The second list is what we come to know as a Christian. Based on the witness of holy Scripture.
      Thank you for that explanation. I suppose I did not understand because I make no division between what I learn in the world, and what I learn as a Christian. All truth is God's truth.

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
      Ecumenical councils are considered binding, and the it is believed that the Holy Spirit has preserved them as such. In order to be accepted as "ecumenical", however, the council must be a) church-wide, b) accepted by the laity, and c) ratified by a subsequent church-wide council. Local synods are not considered binding, but at times ecumenical councils have ratified the canons of local councils (thus making them binding).
      So from the Orthodox perspective does an Ecumenical Council require participation by the Roman Catholics? And what about the last Ecumenical Council? Was it then ratified at a subsequent church-wide council that was not itself ratified?

Sort of. The presence of the Holy Spirit can be felt, but salvation should never be taken for granted.
      Thank you for that clarification.

Experiences can be counterfeited, so the fathers warn not to place much stock in them. There is a strong tradition (at least as far back as the 4th century - see here) of being able to experience the uncreated light (or energy) of God, but this is nearly always limited to monastics.
      Thank you for explaining.

This development has always been done, however, in the light of previous revelation; at each of the church councils dealing with Christology, recourse was made to the writings of the church fathers to ensure continuity with tradition.
      So why would it not be fair to say that they play a role, but an unimportant one in understanding the faith?
      Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith? -Galatians 3:5

Comment

Originally posted by Pentecost View Post
        So from the Orthodox perspective does an Ecumenical Council require participation by the Roman Catholics?
        Effectively, yes; there hasn't been one since the schism.
        And what about the last Ecumenical Council? Was it then ratified at a subsequent church-wide council that was not itself ratified?
        Yes, it was; the last Ecumenical Council (in 787) was ratified by a subsequent council in 843 (which essentially met solely to confirm the council of 787).
        So why would it not be fair to say that they play a role, but an unimportant one in understanding the faith?
        The Wesleyan Quadrilateral implies that all four play important roles, yes? In Orthodoxy, they don't. I just wanted to make that distinction.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

I can't agree with the perspective that Scripture and looking to the Holy Spirit alone are sufficient because of how often genuine Christians look at the same Bible verses and interpret them differently (without looking anything up).
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Experiences can be counterfeited, so the fathers warn not to place much stock in them.
            Counterfeited by Satan?
            The greater number of laws . . . , the more thieves . . . there will be. ---- Lao-Tzu

[T]he truth I’m after and the truth never harmed anyone. What harms us is to persist in self-deceit and ignorance -— Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
              The Holy Spirit don't need no sinkin' lists.
              He doesn't, but He thinks we do: 1 Corinthians 13:4-8. Matthew 15:19. Galatians 5:19-21 and Galatians 5:22-23. Ephesians 4:3-6 and Ephesians 6:12-19. To list a few of many lists found in the word of God. Then there are the books of the Bible, that is also a list.
              . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

He doesn't, but He thinks we do: 1 Corinthians 13:4-8. Matthew 15:19. Galatians 5:19-21 and Galatians 5:22-23. Ephesians 4:3-6 and Ephesians 6:12-19. To list a few of many lists found in the word of God. Then there are the books of the Bible, that is also a list.
                Yeah, but the most important list is the Lamb's Book of Life - if your name's not there, you're TOAST!
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
                  Counterfeited by Satan?
                  Or someone under his control, yes (Mat. 24:24 and parallels, 2 Cor 11:14).
                  Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                  sigpic
                  I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

The Wesleyan Quadrilateral implies that all four play important roles, yes? In Orthodoxy, they don't. I just wanted to make that distinction.
                    I apologize, I think I sounded a little accusatory, it was not intended. Your point then is made.

Originally posted by Truthseeker View Post
                    Counterfeited by Satan?
                    That can be for the charismatic thread in Christianity, if you want to discuss it more (you would be needed OBP), in fact I'd like to be part of it I think, but it does not belong in this thread.

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                    I can't agree with the perspective that Scripture and looking to the Holy Spirit alone are sufficient because of how often genuine Christians look at the same Bible verses and interpret them differently (without looking anything up).
                    Who are you saying that in response to KG?
                    Does he who supplies the Spirit to you and works miracles among you do so by works of the law, or by hearing with faith? -Galatians 3:5

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                      Yeah, but the most important list is the Lamb's Book of Life - if your name's not there, you're TOAST!
                      On the premise Christ died for the whole of humanity - everyone's name is in it. Only those who believe in God's Christ(1 John 5:4, 5) will not have it blotted out (Revelation 3:5).
                      . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

On the premise Christ died for the whole of humanity - everyone's name is in it. Only those who believe in God's Christ(1 John 5:4, 5) will not have it blotted out (Revelation 3:5).
                        Interesting -- not that I agree (yet) but I recently heard a sermon by J Vernon Magee where he quotes some early theologians saying the same thing. The bottom line is whose names are in there at "roll call".

Comment

This appears to be contradicted by Luke 10:20, Rev. 13:8, and Rev. 17:8.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pentecost View Post

Who are you saying that in response to KG?
                            CP only listed the Bible and the Holy Spirit in post #2. We all know he isn't actually a person who believes in no more than those resources, so I'm not responding to him, but rather to a similar perspective taken to a much further extreme. There are some people who actually literally only believe in considering these two. In the book JPH and AP wrote on inerrancy recently, they referred to one modern Bible teacher (F. David Farnell if I recall correctly) who believes that the Holy Spirit will inevitably give a true Christian the right interpretation of Scripture.
                            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

CP only listed the Bible and the Holy Spirit in post #2. We all know he isn't actually a person who believes in no more than those resources, so I'm not responding to him,
                              The Bible teaches us about the Holy Spirit, and the Holy Spirit leads us into all truth -- including the other resources as the Spirit leads. I would, however, most definitely put the Bible and the Holy Spirit at the top of the list.

but rather to a similar perspective taken to a much further extreme. There are some people who actually literally only believe in considering these two. In the book JPH and AP wrote on inerrancy recently, they referred to one modern Bible teacher (F. David Farnell if I recall correctly) who believes that the Holy Spirit will inevitably give a true Christian the right interpretation of Scripture.
                              Which is why we often end up with really far out cults.

Comment

CP only listed the Bible and the Holy Spirit in post #2. We all know he isn't actually a person who believes in no more than those resources, so I'm not responding to him, but rather to a similar perspective taken to a much further extreme. There are some people who actually literally only believe in considering these two. In the book JPH and AP wrote on inerrancy recently, they referred to one modern Bible teacher (F. David Farnell if I recall correctly) who believes that the Holy Spirit will inevitably give a true Christian the right interpretation of Scripture.
                                Ok, that's what I was thinking .

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X