Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Vibrant Churches led by Women Pastors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    And, personally, I am not convinced yet that the Holy Spirit would put a female in the LEAD position of a Church.
    As someone who appreciates women in ministry -- I also am not yet convinced that the Holy Spirit would have a female in THE lead position of a Church without a male at her side -- or at least that it is not the preference. (I'd see it as more as the exception more than the rule).

I tend to think that a church led only by a female voice will have its fair share struggles. I also tend to think that a church that keeps the voice of women to a minimum will have struggles as well. I have come to the belief that just like a child benefits from the voice of both a mother and a father - so a church benefits from the voice of both men and women. God created male and female to work together in unity for the furthering of His kingdom.

And just as a child without a father tends to struggle more than a child without a mother -- so I believe a church without the male voice will struggle more.

And, I think what often happens is that a church tends to "lower their standards" when they're in decline, and tend to get "who they can get" rather than who the Holy Spirit sends.
    Yep -- and I think they sometimes get who they think will be the best based on the way we see things rather than the way God sees things. IOW, they look to the world before they look to God...rather than wait on the Holy Spirit.

It brings to mind the difference between Saul and David.

Comment

Originally posted by phat8594 View Post
      Yep -- and I think they sometimes get who they think will be the best (based on the way we see things) rather than the way God sees things. It brings to mind the difference between Saul and David.
      OTOH, they might get what they deserve... kinda of like "Everybody ELSE has Kings, WE want a King" kind of thing ---- they got what they wanted, but often they did not want what they got.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

This has been a concern of mine for a long time, particularly in Baptist Churches --- a "pulpit committee" will come up with a list of criterion for selecting "the new pastor", and sometimes, without realizing they're doing it - they eliminate the very man God would have sent them. They'll set an age limit, or a degree of education, or a number of years of experience, or .... sometimes the combination of the things they come up with are just too durn restrictive.

To me, it would be a WHOLE lot better if they entered a season of prayer, and diligently asked the Lord - "God send us the man you think we need at this time for your purpose".

I mean, JESUS or APOSTLE PAUL wouldn't even qualify the way they write their requirements.
        Wow--how did I miss this before?

This is pretty much what I am trying to say -- yet you have said it much more eloquently!

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          pulpit committee member #1: What about this Jesus guy? How about him?

pulpit committee member #2: Are you kidding? He isn't married and has an arrest record. And have you seen that beard?

pulpit committee member #3: And he's way too young. Not enough experience.

pulpit committee member #1: Okay. Next
          Begin rant...

How about not having such a stupid story. Problems with pcm#2: I wasn't aware a pastor is required to be married, in other countries like China a pastor will have an arrest record, and one of the best pastors I've had had a beard. Problem with pcm#3: for His time, 30 years is actually pretty old.

The world tells enough stories about Christians being stupid without us adding to them.

Besides the conversion could go like this.

PCM1: How about Jesus?
          PCM2: I love His prayer life. He has a real relationship with God.
          PCM3: He knows His Scripture and He knows how to apply them to people's lives.
          PCM1: Okay. Let's see if He'll come Sunday and preach a sermon for us.

Ending rant...
          "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

This has been a concern of mine for a long time, particularly in Baptist Churches --- a "pulpit committee" will come up with a list of criterion for selecting "the new pastor", and sometimes, without realizing they're doing it - they eliminate the very man God would have sent them. They'll set an age limit, or a degree of education, or a number of years of experience, or .... sometimes the combination of the things they come up with are just too durn restrictive.

To me, it would be a WHOLE lot better if they entered a season of prayer, and diligently asked the Lord - "God send us the man you think we need at this time for your purpose".

I mean, JESUS or APOSTLE PAUL wouldn't even qualify the way they write their requirements.
            This isn't just a Baptist issue. I've experienced it in PC(USA). Also, I think the local administrative body can influence the church's choice. The body wants someone for their goals instead of who's best for the church.

I suspect a lot of members on a "pulpit committee" don't have the prayer life or spiritual training they should have for such a position.
            "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X