Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Vibrant Churches led by Women Pastors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vibrant Churches led by Women Pastors

I didn't want to derail the "ordain women pastors" thread (not it's proper name, but you probably can find it) with this, so I'm starting a new thread.

Let's assume, for the sake of argument, that the Bible does not prohibit women to be lead pastors or bishops, and keep those arguments in the other thread.

Let's keep this conversation polite and respectful - just a calm discussion.

I'm wondering if there are any dynamic or vibrant Churches (particularly in the US, but wherever) led by a woman.

The reason I wonder this, is that in my own experience over the past 40+ years in several denominations, and having been in numerous ministerial associations or alliances, I am not aware of a single Church led by a woman that is alive and growing, or dynamic and vibrant.

It SEEMS, in my experience, that it's the more liberal Churches who will call a female pastor because that's who they can get to come to their Church. I know that sounds harsh, but I'm aware of 6 Churches in my area led by women - ALL of them are in serious decline and it's mostly older folks and women who attend. Four of them are quite liberal. The other two, I suspect are pretty liberal, but I don't know that for a fact.

I know that "vibrant" and "dynamic" -- yeah, that's pretty subjective -- I mean like - soulwinning, baptizing people, growing..... active in their communities, etc.

Again, this isn't a battle or another place to argue about the ordination of women - more of a fact finding thing, I guess.

Be gentle.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I didn't want to derail the "ordain women pastors" thread (not it's proper name, but you probably can find it) with this, so I'm starting a new thread.

Let's assume, for the sake of argument, that the Bible does not prohibit women to be lead pastors or bishops, and keep those arguments in the other thread.

Let's keep this conversation polite and respectful - just a calm discussion.

I'm wondering if there are any dynamic or vibrant Churches (particularly in the US, but wherever) led by a woman.

The reason I wonder this, is that in my own experience over the past 40+ years in several denominations, and having been in numerous ministerial associations or alliances, I am not aware of a single Church led by a woman that is alive and growing, or dynamic and vibrant.

It SEEMS, in my experience, that it's the more liberal Churches who will call a female pastor because that's who they can get to come to their Church. I know that sounds harsh, but I'm aware of 6 Churches in my area led by women - ALL of them are in serious decline and it's mostly older folks and women who attend. Four of them are quite liberal. The other two, I suspect are pretty liberal, but I don't know that for a fact.

I know that "vibrant" and "dynamic" -- yeah, that's pretty subjective -- I mean like - soulwinning, baptizing people, growing..... active in their communities, etc.

Again, this isn't a battle or another place to argue about the ordination of women - more of a fact finding thing, I guess.

Be gentle.
    Cow Poke. Why did you have to ask this tough question? I can honestly say I don't know of any female pastors personally. They are only 10% overall I think? The ones I do know of are of the more liberal, or prosperity preacher type. Geeze, I don't know.
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

I know of one deaf church locally that is one of the only churches that does any deaf outreach and is involved with frequent missionary work and Bible translation (into sign language video). Her son (a good friend of mine, so I'm not unbiased) is now a co-pastor, though.

Originally I think it was a situation where her skill set (theological education, not deaf but completely fluent in sign language, having deaf children so having that in on the culture) was something that few people would have been able to replicate.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Couldn't resist:

http://womenpastorsministers-exist.blogspot.com.au/

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/...w.html?start=9

https://www.barna.org/barna-update/l...e#.VO-44lOUfwY

Comment

Be gentle.
          My experience is pretty much the same as yours. I've had two interims and one permanent in my time - all in PC(USA) churches. The interims were reasonable competent - the permanent ended in a first class disaster. I can't say I've ever met a woman pastor that has impressed me.
          "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." Hosea 6:6

"Theology can be an intellectual entertainment." Metropolitan Anthony Bloom

Comment

Something besides a set of links might be nice.
            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse View Post
              Cow Poke. Why did you have to ask this tough question? I can honestly say I don't know of any female pastors personally. They are only 10% overall I think? The ones I do know of are of the more liberal, or prosperity preacher type. Geeze, I don't know.
              Then it's not a tough question! "I don't know" is a totally acceptable answer!
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                I know of one deaf church locally that is one of the only churches that does any deaf outreach and is involved with frequent missionary work and Bible translation (into sign language video). Her son (a good friend of mine, so I'm not unbiased) is now a co-pastor, though.

Originally I think it was a situation where her skill set (theological education, not deaf but completely fluent in sign language, having deaf children so having that in on the culture) was something that few people would have been able to replicate.
                Interesting, thanks. "Co-pastor" is an interesting concept. Maybe that deserves another thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoughtful Monk View Post
                  My experience is pretty much the same as yours. I've had two interims and one permanent in my time - all in PC(USA) churches. The interims were reasonable competent - the permanent ended in a first class disaster. I can't say I've ever met a woman pastor that has impressed me.
                  Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedidiah View Post
                    Something besides a set of links might be nice.
                    Well, I thought they were self explanatory with lists of women in successful ministries. Sorry, I'll shut up now.

Comment

Originally posted by pancreasman View Post
                      Well, I thought they were self explanatory with lists of women in successful ministries. Sorry, I'll shut up now.
                      What I was asking for was examples of vibrant churches led by women. Not so much "successful women" in the ministry.

Comment

Originally posted by pancreasman View Post
                        From the article, "Not surprisingly, a large share of the woman in the pastorate – 58% – are affiliated with a “mainline” church – i.e., a congregation that is aligned with denominations such as American Baptist Churches (ABCUSA), United Church of Christ, Episcopal, Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), United Methodist or Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), abbreviated PC(USA)."

Mainline churches are generally in decline - thus not dynamic and vibrant it would seem.

Comment

My church is technically "mainline" by denomination, but is clearly evangelical in practice. Sometimes it's not easy to tell where the lines are.
                          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by rhutchin View Post
                            Mainline churches are generally in decline - thus not dynamic and vibrant it would seem.
                            There are, of course, exceptions, and those are what I'm interested in. How many of those churches are primarily female led.

And it's not a simple question -- it's not just about the abilities or capabilities of the woman who is leading, but about the acceptance of the congregation to her leadership. There's an old saying "if the people are not following, then the leader is not leading".

Comment

There are, of course, exceptions, and those are what I'm interested in. How many of those churches are primarily female led.

And it's not a simple question -- it's not just about the abilities or capabilities of the woman who is leading, but about the acceptance of the congregation to her leadership. There's an old saying "if the people are not following, then the leader is not leading".
                              Well, I go to a church that is growing quite a bit and has female pastoral leadership. That being said, most of the female pastors are married to a male pastor - and they lead together.

The 'head pastor' I guess would be male -- although he leads with his wife and I don't think he would call himself THE head pastor.

The church is growing and vibrant. Both the male and female pastors preach from the pulpit.

To be clear -- I don't know if the church would have the same dynamic with only female pastors or female lead pastors. As it stands now, the pastors would function more along the lines of a parents where responsibilities and leadership is shared in mutual submission....

[as a side note -- a few years back I wouldn't have imagined listening to a female pastor from the pulpit -- and now I actually appreciate it as a change of pace (although admittedly I appreciate the teaching of the head 'male' pastor the best)

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X