Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Split-off thread: Bible translations for study

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Split-off thread: Bible translations for study

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    That's a good version for reading. Not for study.
    I hope this isn't too off-topic, but what would you say is a good version for study? I don't have an ESV, but I'm curious what you think.
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
    I hope this isn't too off-topic, but what would you say is a good version for study? I don't have an ESV, but I'm curious what you think.
    If it gets to be a lengthy discussion, we'll move it to its own thread - I like the KJV because that's from whence all my scripture is memorized. For study, I like the Holman Christian Standard Bible. For deeper study, I have the very expensive LOGOS library, but generally (because it's so much quicker and FREE) use blueletterbible.org 's free resources. I'll often look at the Young's Literal Translation, and Darby.

One of the biggest mistakes people make (Mickiel is infamous for this) is to take a King James (or other English version) word, and do a study on that TRANSLATED word, rather than the word from which it was translated. It's VERY easy these days to drill down to the Greek and Hebrew - BlueLetter lets you do that for free.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      If it gets to be a lengthy discussion, we'll move it to its own thread - I like the KJV because that's from whence all my scripture is memorized. For study, I like the Holman Christian Standard Bible. For deeper study, I have the very expensive LOGOS library, but generally (because it's so much quicker and FREE) use blueletterbible.org 's free resources. I'll often look at the Young's Literal Translation, and Darby.

One of the biggest mistakes people make (Mickiel is infamous for this) is to take a King James (or other English version) word, and do a study on that TRANSLATED word, rather than the word from which it was translated. It's VERY easy these days to drill down to the Greek and Hebrew - BlueLetter lets you do that for free.
      Cool, thanks. I've heard good things about the HCSB before, and I hope to get a copy soon. I've always stuck with my NASB largely because I grew up with it and am familiar with it, but I'm also familiar with the KJV. I was just curious.

Comment

Cool, thanks. I've heard good things about the HCSB before, and I hope to get a copy soon. I've always stuck with my NASB largely because I grew up with it and am familiar with it, but I'm also familiar with the KJV. I was just curious.
        No prob - I created a user account on BlueLetterBible, and defaulted my view to HCSB -- It's really handy for cut/paste scriptures into my powerpoints for my sermons. (I believe they allow you freedom to copy as long as it's not HUGE sections of text)
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I find the online NET Bible invaluable. You can compare the translated text with the original languages, the English text being scrollable from chapter to chapter and the original text following the chapter you're focusing on. What is also very useful are the copious translators' notes that discuss details ranging from textual variants, reasoning behind choices of interpretation and rendering, suggested meaning of ambiguous phrases, connotations of the original languages that are unable to be rendered in translation and many more.

Comment

Originally posted by Paprika View Post
            I find the online NET Bible invaluable. You can compare the translated text with the original languages, the English text being scrollable from chapter to chapter and the original text following the chapter you're focusing on. What is also very useful are the copious translators' notes that discuss details ranging from textual variants, reasoning behind choices of interpretation and rendering, suggested meaning of ambiguous phrases, connotations of the original languages that are unable to be rendered in translation and many more.
            That too!

Comment

I'm going to disagree with CP on this a little bit...(I have a GREAT deal of respect for CP, and we are friends on and off the site)

But HCSB IMO is less literal than either NASB or ESV...and I think that's backed up by scholarship. NASB is a pretty literal translation as is the ESV, but though I have both translations (as well as an NIV, an HCSB and a KJV) My favorite is the ESV. I think it reads as well as the HCSB or the NIV but leans a little more literal to the original text. I too grew up on and memorized a lot of KJV scripture, but it's proven to be a fairly flawed version given it's translation method as well as it's outdated language issues. The NASB was the first Bible I ever bought on my own, and I chose it because of it's scholastic chops (at the time), but I always found it's reading a bit stilted and awkward...that's my opinion. I second CP's advice on Blue Letter Bible and going back to the Greek and Hebrew. It's much easier now days than ever before... and Robercht and John Reese as well as others are a great asset. they have helped me several times immensely!
              "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                I'm going to disagree with CP on this a little bit...(I have a GREAT deal of respect for CP, and we are friends on and off the site)

But HCSB IMO is less literal than either NASB or ESV...and I think that's backed up by scholarship. NASB is a pretty literal translation as is the ESV, but though I have both translations (as well as an NIV, an HCSB and a KJV) My favorite is the ESV. I think it reads as well as the HCSB or the NIV but leans a little more literal to the original text. I too grew up on and memorized a lot of KJV scripture, but it's proven to be a fairly flawed version given it's translation method as well as it's outdated language issues. The NASB was the first Bible I ever bought on my own, and I chose it because of it's scholastic chops (at the time), but I always found it's reading a bit stilted and awkward...that's my opinion. I second CP's advice on Blue Letter Bible and going back to the Greek and Hebrew. It's much easier now days than ever before... and Robercht and John Reese as well as others are a great asset. they have helped me several times immensely!
                Bottom line - select a variety of trustworthy sources and compare them -- I still like my big leather "parallel bible", but you can simulate that online with a lot of the bible study programs.

Comment

Good comments, everyone. Paprika, I'll check out the NET Bible--I've heard good things about it too but had forgotten about it. Littlejoe, I agree that the NASB is a little stilted at times; I guess I've just gotten used to it.

I'm also rather fond of my 1599 Geneva Bible, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend that to anyone. It's more of a novelty anymore.

Comment

Here's a good source where you can see whole chapters "side by side" in different versions. Online Parallel Bible by Chapters.

Comment

I also find NET Bible to be a really good resource. I use it often. I would tell anyone though, stay away from The Message.
                      "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse View Post
                        I also find NET Bible to be a really good resource. I use it often. I would tell anyone though, stay away from The Message.
                        I read The Message occasionally just for "reading" - not for study. But, yeah, I don't put much stock in it at all.

Comment

Ever heard of the Street Bible? (To be fair, they changed its name to The Word on the Street). It makes The Message seem like the KJV in comparison.
                          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                            Ever heard of the Street Bible? (To be fair, they changed its name to The Word on the Street). It makes The Message seem like the KJV in comparison.

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                              That is indeed a new one for me. Never heard of it.
                              "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ― C.S. Lewis, God in the Dock: Essays on Theology (Making of Modern Theology)

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X